PDA

View Full Version : Fairwell to a good friend...

policemustang
03-14-2008, 10:44 PM
None of you guys here knew him. But he was a great old fellow. He died just this past week at the age of 99. He taught me all of my Masonic degree work. His obituary outlining his past is most impressive and it was treat to hear him tell the stories of WWII and his past. He will be missed.

John Irby Everett
John Irby Everett, 99, of Lufkin, was born September 21, 1908, in Eastland County, Texas, the son of the late Mamie Lee (Cox) and Francis Clovis Everett. He passed away Tuesday, March 11, 2008 in a local nursing facility. Mr. Everett was a retired teacher, having taught for more than 40 years. He taught in the Harlendale Independent School District in San Antonio for more than 20 years, Central Independent School District, Fairview School and Channelview School District. He held B.A. and M.A. degrees. Mr. Everett was a veteran of World War II, serving in the United States Army during World War II in the 90th Infantry Division, Company D, 315th Medical Battalion (Patton's Third Army). His battles and campaigns included the Normandy Invasion, Northern France, Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge), Rhineland and Central Europe. His medals include 8 Campaign Medals with 5 Bronze Stars and One Bronze Arrowhead and the Good Conduct Medal. Mr. Everett was a 65-year member of the Lufkin Masonic Lodge #669, A.F. & A.M., and the Burke Lodge #833, Scottish Rite, York Rite and Sharon Shrine Mason. Survivors include his wife, LaRue Everett of Lufkin; sisters, Ann Tomlin of Colorado Springs, Colorado and Pauline White of Ludlow, Massachusetts; nephews, James Everett Ware and William White; nieces, Frances Ann Dudenhoeffer, Linda Finch and Brenda White; and a number of other relatives and a host of friends. In addition to his parents, Mr. Everett was preceded in death by his son, Edward Lee Everett; brothers, Olen Theodore Everett and Frances Clovis Everett; and sisters, Salley Lee Beddingfield and Margaret Ware. Pallbearers will be David Vines, Larry Perry, Roho Pouland, Barry Lenderman, Hal Greer and Kenny Carrell. Honorary pallbearers will be Orville Willingham, Jimmy Henley, all the Masons of Lufkin Lodge, #669 A.F. & A.M. and Burke Lodge No. 833. Expressions of sympathy in Mr. EverettŐs memory may be made to the American Cancer Society, 212 Gene Samford Drive, Lufkin, Texas 75904. Services for Mr. Everett will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, March 15, 2008, in the Harmony Hill Baptist Church, with Dr. John Greene and Reverend Sam Thomas officiating. Graveside services will follow in the Garden of Memories Memorial Park under the auspices of the Lufkin Masonic Lodge No. 669, A.F. & A.M. Friends are invited to visit with the family from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday evening at Gipson Funeral Home, 1515 South Chestnut, Lufkin.

SparkSVT
03-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Sounds like he saw a ton of action in WW2. MY family doctor was in Normandy as well. He too is a great guy to talk to.

86NeSSP
03-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Wow sounds like a great guy to have known... I am sure he and my Step-Dad would have gotten along great. He also served in WWII in the Army Air Corps. That man had a lot of stories and was such a great guy. I am glad that my Mom married him and that I got to know such a great guy. It is sad that all these great patriotic men are passing away as they have lived a very long and fruitfull lives. It just makes me sad to not know ALL THE HISTORY they had actually been a part of.

R.I.P.

Matt

1990GSP
03-16-2008, 06:52 PM
A true American... R I P