PDA

View Full Version : Honda Accord Police

Andy
03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
I......... Know how much everyone here enjoys this stuff!
http://www.kpho.com/news/15700127/detail.html#
I think he should be re arrested for impersonating and American
A................... Honda of all things!
http://i31.tinypic.com/2ag9des.jpg

SparkSVT
03-26-2008, 09:13 PM
That honda would probably easily outlast an american CVPI

ImEvil1
03-26-2008, 11:04 PM
That honda would probably easily outlast an american CVPI

CVPIs are tanks....I'm not sure I can say the same for any of the imports, or any other front wheel drive car.

We had the Taurus pakage cars in '91. They lasted about 1 1/2 years before they ended up spending more time in the shop than on the road and were replaced.

86NeSSP
03-27-2008, 08:20 AM
I wonder what the reliability has been with the impala. I see there is a new one for the latest body style. I know the Harris County Sherriff is running them. You never know honda has a pretty good reliable car but not sure it is up to the test of police duty. Maybe it is and this would be a good way to go into some fuel saving mode for the Govt.

Matt

1992b4c
03-27-2008, 10:37 AM
OMG, all of this talk about other vehicles other than Mustang's. I am ashamed, I thought this site was for the preservation of Mustang's only. Joke

Taurus was flop like Mike says, but it did run strong. Look at Dodge's Intrepid, bigger flop by the sounds of it. I do see alot of Impala's everywhere these days. I would still prefer the Charger or CVPI.

mustangretriever
03-27-2008, 11:10 AM
I wonder what the reliability has been with the impala.

I drove an Impala for the last 3 years I worked at my municipal police job and we had quite a few problems. Catalytic converters would clog, alternators and power steering pumps were constantly getting replaced and we lost a lot of transmissions at around 60,000 miles.

Even with the problems they were kinda fun to drive, they handled much better than the CVPI and being front wheel drive they were great in the snow and rain.

predator20
03-27-2008, 11:48 AM
I wonder what the reliability has been with the impala.
Matt

Our local PD used them from '02 till about '07. I have no idea about any problems they had. Didn't care to ask. There were replaced with Crown Vics.

I think the only reason our PD purchased them was because our only major dealer in town is Chevrolet.

ImEvil1
03-27-2008, 01:30 PM
I drove an Impala for the last 3 years I worked at my municipal police job and we had quite a few problems. Catalytic converters would clog, alternators and power steering pumps were constantly getting replaced and we lost a lot of transmissions at around 60,000 miles.

Even with the problems they were kinda fun to drive, they handled much better than the CVPI and being front wheel drive they were great in the snow and rain.

Chevrolet gave us one to T & E a few years ago (2003 I think). We took it out and ran it on a road course and kept it for a few days after that. I was not impressed whatsoever (it wouldn't get out of its own way). We ended up staying with the CVs.

ImEvil1
03-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Taurus was flop like Mike says, but it did run strong. Look at Dodge's Intrepid, bigger flop by the sounds of it. I do see alot of Impala's everywhere these days. I would still prefer the Charger or CVPI.

I'm not sure I'd say the Tarurus ran strong, but since you are used to Camaros, maybe you thought they were pretty fast? :) (JK)

Intrepids had a ton of brake problems...as in fires.

We have a few Hemi-chargers, and they are scary fast (even for heavy cars). I think dangerously so. I would have loved to have one when I was on the road, but I can sure see how a bunch of them would get bent up.

mustangretriever
03-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Chevrolet gave us one to T & E a few years ago (2003 I think). We took it out and ran it on a road course and kept it for a few days after that. I was not impressed whatsoever (it wouldn't get out of its own way). We ended up staying with the CVs.

Not to get too off topic, but I agree the 00-05's Impalas were a little underpowered, they would hit 120 if needed. I always thought they handled great, I could take a corner faster in the Impala than a CV. I worked in the St Louis area so snow and ice was a problem, before the Impalas we parked the Fords in a snowstorm and pulled out the Dept's SUV's.

Heck, when I started in 96 at the PD we had Caprices and CV's and only 1 4WD Jeep Cherokee. The Monsanto Company had a huge biotech complex in Chesterfield and if a big snow would roll through we would borrow a couple of their security 4WD Explorers that had red/blue lights, ride 2 man cars and use them until the roads got plowed! The Dept ended up buying a few more Jeeps and a Suburban around 98/99 for snowy weather. Ahhhh, the good ole days!

1992b4c
03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure I'd say the Tarurus ran strong, but since you are used to Camaros, maybe you thought they were pretty fast:p

I thought those 3.8's had pretty decent torque down low and for the early 90's they were a decent car. Just not for severe duty.

policemustang
03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I remember hearing stories of TX DPS troopers that would intentionally TRY to destroy the transmissions in the old Taurus cars just to get another, different car. I heard they'd put the transmission in 1st gear and hold the shifter down so it wouldn't shift up and burn it up.