PDA

View Full Version : SSP ticket(s) Beatable ?!?

5ohMan
04-13-2008, 11:39 AM
OK, I got my shoes broke once by a 70yr old cop w/ nothing better to do, got me for police insignia ticket, so I went out and spent 45 bucks, bought roll of magnetic/vinyl type covers and put across any/all areas of police insignia's.

Then coming from a show at Captree state park in NY, 2 wet behind the ears rookie state park police waited for me outside to leave, and pulled me over at the entrance ramp of the park, and got me for 2 violations this time, 1- police insignia < even tho they were covered up mind you, and a Suffolk county cop came by and spoke w/ me about the car at the show, and was soo cool about car > and 1- unauth. blue lights...now mind you, I have total respect for the law, and bit my torretts syndrome tongue real hard, and watched a whole crap load of cars wizz right by me w/ no emissions, and even a drag car w/ a chute pass me while on the side of the road w/ my 10 yr old son, and all my car show paraphernalia with me, these 2 lil boys not even old enough to shoot guns, yet have them..broke my shoes..
Harley :banginghead:
FHP unit 1222

predator20
04-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Look up your states statutes.

ImEvil1
04-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Harley,

1) If you have respect for LEOs and the law as you say, don't post negative remarks about them here.

2) Like Predator said, know the laws in your area.

3) To be completely safe, trailer your car to shows.

4) Pay your fines and use the information you research to avoid any future issues.

5ohMan
04-13-2008, 12:22 PM
No problem, I retract my statement..just feel offended due to the traffic I watched pass me by, while I was on the side of the road getting written..

ImEvil1
04-13-2008, 12:26 PM
No prob.....post up some pics of your car when you can.

5ohMan
04-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I tried doing that, Couldnt figure it out fully, BUT I tried..can you help ???

ImEvil1
04-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Sure...email them to me and I'll post them for you.

NoDrama43
04-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Harley,

1) If you have respect for LEOs and the law as you say, don't post negative remarks about them here.

2) Like Predator said, know the laws in your area.

3) To be completely safe, trailer your car to shows.

4) Pay your fines and use the information you research to avoid any future issues.

+1 well said Imevil

Unless you are LEO and authorized to possess the insignia and blue lights etc. it is best to make sure everything is covered up and non-functional. I have been at several shows where ssp owners bring attention to themselves by constantly having the lights on, sirens chirping etc. when ever the car is moving. I think most people are annoyed by it. Wearing clothing, guns, or any other items that would lead someone to think you are LEO is another no-no. The fact that you may legally possess a CCW permit will still not mesh well if you are also driving a marked police car wearing a STATE POLICE hat.

Sorry about your experience but I realize how the "wet behind the ears rookie" feels when he percieves someone is pretending to be LEO when in fact they are not. The best thing to do is to always follow your state's laws to the letter. If you do that you should never have any trouble showing your car.

That said, welcome and enjoy the site. Many of us are cops and we will help you out as best we can.

NELSON
04-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Jim. In light of the up coming show in Columbus. Could you let us know what the Ohio Laws are regarding the ssp that are coming from out of state. What may apply in my state may not apply in Ohio. That way we don't have any issues when we travel to the show.

THANKS, Chris

jarhed123
04-13-2008, 11:09 PM
+1 well said Imevil

The best thing to do is to always follow your state's laws to the letter. If you do that you should never have any trouble showing your car.
:popcorn1:

5ohMan
04-13-2008, 11:27 PM
To everyone,

Thank you for all the advice, Please keep it coming..I'd love to hear all sides, and as I said, I appoligize to any/all I mightve offended with my comment earlier, BUT it really stunk knowing how WE ALL LOVE our SSP's, and for a normal NON leo guy, it really stinks to have the car now 2 months , and 5 times out on the road, and now 3 tickets already...

I gotta be honest, I am a HUGE supporter of everything our law enforcement do for us all, and a BIG supporter and supply giver when 9/11 happened..
But to call -
1) the 3rd precinct where I live
2) police hdqts
3) state troopers
all were called, and spoke with 3 different desk sgt's < which in hindsight, wish i got all their names and badges >, all told me, there was NO law about driving a restored police car on the road with all lights and insignia's from FLORIDA in N.Y.... 2 of the 3 told me as long as im not pulling people over, or abusing the authority theres no law, then directed to Police Hdqts which the person said they'd get back to me, and never did...

So I really appreciate the "luv", and any/all info you guys had for me, I just hope theres some way to beat/or have these fines dismissed, I dont wanna have to sell the car, before ever really enjoying it..

Harley

jarhed123
04-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Do your research and then take what ever action you feel will be the best outcome. Worse things have happened to others but continue to enjoy your car.

PoliceSSP
04-13-2008, 11:41 PM
You can look on the citations and find what statue or ordinance they cited. Look them up and see if it applies. Finally, take it to court or get a pretrial with the DA and explain what you were doing, who you called and what they told you. The judge or DA may understand and give you a break. Good luck.

ImEvil1
04-13-2008, 11:54 PM
To everyone,

Thank you for all the advice, Please keep it coming..I'd love to hear all sides, and as I said, I appoligize to any/all I mightve offended with my comment earlier, BUT it really stunk knowing how WE ALL LOVE our SSP's, and for a normal NON leo guy, it really stinks to have the car now 2 months , and 5 times out on the road, and now 3 tickets already...

I gotta be honest, I am a HUGE supporter of everything our law enforcement do for us all, and a BIG supporter and supply giver when 9/11 happened..
But to call -
1) the 3rd precinct where I live
2) police hdqts
3) state troopers
all were called, and spoke with 3 different desk sgt's < which in hindsight, wish i got all their names and badges >, all told me, there was NO law about driving a restored police car on the road with all lights and insignia's from FLORIDA in N.Y.... 2 of the 3 told me as long as im not pulling people over, or abusing the authority theres no law, then directed to Police Hdqts which the person said they'd get back to me, and never did...

So I really appreciate the "luv", and any/all info you guys had for me, I just hope theres some way to beat/or have these fines dismissed, I dont wanna have to sell the car, before ever really enjoying it..

Harley

Again..no prob and no apology necessary. We happen to have many LEOs here, and we'll be the first ones to tell you that not everything done by every officer is always the right thing. There are always two sides to every story, and every officer out there has to make a judgement call (usually a quick one) based on the given circumstances. Every situation is different. I've had my issues with a couple of officers over the years, too, and I've been doing this since 1991.

Greg R. (a Chicago PD Sgt.) said it best over on Copcar.com a few months ago:

For those of you who have collector copcars but don't have a badge in your pocket, it's
probably a wise investment to get a second dome for your beacon or lightbar and paint
it black inside and out. Mount that to your rooflight(s) whenever you're not at a show,
parade or other event and your vehicle is being operated on the public way. Only put
your colored domes on when you get to the event. Remember, clear is still a color and
some states (IL for one) have laws against those also. Solid black domes do not emit
any light.

You'll help yourself and the rest of the hobby in the long run.

Good luck with it, let us know if we can help, and SEND ME SOME PICS of your car so I can post them up for you. :)

NoDrama43
04-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Jim. In light of the up coming show in Columbus. Could you let us know what the Ohio Laws are regarding the ssp that are coming from out of state. What may apply in my state may not apply in Ohio. That way we don't have any issues when we travel to the show.

THANKS, Chris

Unless you are LEO and authorized to possess the insignia and lights etc. it is best to:

A. make sure everything is covered up and non-functional.
make sure everything is covered up and non-functional.

B. Trailer your car to the show grounds.

C. If you have a letter of authorization from your vehicles agency I
would have it in your possession PRIOR to going to the show.

Wearing clothing, guns, or any other items that would lead someone to think you are LEO is another no-no, when combined with driving the restored cop car. The fact that you may legally possess a CCW permit will still not mesh well if you are also driving a marked police car wearing a STATE POLICE hat. Remember that police officers deal with the "totality of the circumstances". Having a CCW by itself doesn't lead me to believe you are personating a cop, however driving a cop car with functional lights, pulled over on the interstate helping a disabled motorist, wearing a State Police hat, with a gun on, is a totally different circumstance. If your on the road with your restored cop car, and you see a broke down motorist, drive on. The local police departments DO NOT want or need your assistance with issues such as these.

Ohio State Troopers are known to be plentiful and very strict so watch your speed on any of our interstates. Have your license, registration, insurance card, your trailer plates current, and take care of any outstanding warrants prior to leaving your home state. I also carry my confirmation letter for the show with me to prove I am going to a show.

You can reference any laws you may want to read up on at the Ohio Attorney General website. For those of you that feel compelled to carry a firearm Ohio's laws are very specific about where you can and cannot carry legally.

86NeSSP
04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Jim and Mike have given the best advice anyone can stick to if they are thinking about traveling to a show.

I think A. states it very well...

TR1
04-16-2008, 02:42 AM
OK, I got my shoes broke once by a 70yr old cop w/ nothing better to do, got me for police insignia ticket, so I went out and spent 45 bucks, bought roll of magnetic/vinyl type covers and put across any/all areas of police insignia's.

Then coming from a show at Captree state park in NY, 2 wet behind the ears rookie state park police waited for me outside to leave, and pulled me over at the entrance ramp of the park, and got me for 2 violations this time, 1- police insignia < even tho they were covered up mind you, and a Suffolk county cop came by and spoke w/ me about the car at the show, and was soo cool about car > and 1- unauth. blue lights...now mind you, I have total respect for the law, and bit my torretts syndrome tongue real hard, and watched a whole crap load of cars wizz right by me w/ no emissions, and even a drag car w/ a chute pass me while on the side of the road w/ my 10 yr old son, and all my car show paraphernalia with me, these 2 lil boys not even old enough to shoot guns, yet have them..broke my shoes..
Harley :banginghead:
FHP unit 1222

I love writing this ticket! In California you can't even have white doors on a black car (with or without stickers). I write it every time I see it.:D

guerro
04-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I love writing this ticket! In California you can't even have white doors on a black car (with or without stickers). I write it every time I see it.:D

What does Best Buy do with their Geek Squad cars in Cali ? hahaha

5ohMan
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM

LOL, thats true, then this guy must have his hands full w/ a bunch of geeks running around, and filling his book every month..LOL

ImEvil1
04-21-2008, 11:38 PM

Best Buy had to repaint their cars in CA.

http://householdwatch.com/wp/2005/09/01/geek-squad-to-repaint-vehicles

TR1
04-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Best Buy had to repaint their cars in CA.

http://householdwatch.com/wp/2005/09/01/geek-squad-to-repaint-vehicles

Yep.. They had to paint the doors black but every now and then you will see a rogue van or VW bug running around. The roof is still painted white.:No no:

5ohMan
04-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Yep.. They had to paint the doors black but every now and then you will see a rogue van or VW bug running around. The roof is still painted white.:No no:

Well, I hope by the end of each month, you get them all..cause as you said..you love writting this summons..

sorry you feel that way tho... Just my opinion..

TR1
04-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Well, I hope by the end of each month, you get them all..cause as you said..you love writting this summons..

sorry you feel that way tho... Just my opinion..

I hardly ever see the Geek Squad guys. I only cite people in black / white former police cars that are obviously just trying to get a reaction from other drivers and are not in route to any type of car show ect. :yes: