PDA

View Full Version : Which alternator is correct for a 93 CHP

SparkSVT
04-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Im wondering which alternator should be in my 93 CHP Mustang. I have a standard one in there now but I believe it is a replacement. I see some pics of CHP Mustangs with the 130 amp unit. Can anyone tell me what I should have on there to be correct for the car?

D_C
04-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Im wondering which alternator should be in my 93 CHP Mustang. I have a standard one in there now but I believe it is a replacement. I see some pics of CHP Mustangs with the 130 amp unit. Can anyone tell me what I should have on there to be correct for the car?

It looks as if the 130 amp would be the correct unit, from info found here:
http://www.specialservicemustang.net/87Package.html

mac88chp
04-17-2008, 06:51 PM
CHP didn't order the optional alternator every year, mine came with the standard one as did a number of other years. I'm pretty sure the later better lit cars got ordered with the upgraded unit Chris...looks like the '93 on eBay right now has it:

http://i7.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/ea/3f/3e98_12.JPG

predator20
04-17-2008, 07:02 PM
This pic is from the org gallery. Car that had been taken out of service and painted. '90 and up model. Looks like a standard 65 amp to me. The one on ebay could have been changed. The one in the pic could have been changed while in-service too. Jim might be the one to ask, I think his is a '92. According to this thread Jim bought a 130 amp for his '92 CHP. http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=154

ImEvil1
04-17-2008, 07:45 PM
There are 3 '92 Buildsheets posted on the Technical section here. http://www.specialservicemustang.net/Build.html

The '92 CHP buildsheet does not list the 130 amp alternator. Both of the other '92 buildsheets (FHP and city cars) list the 130 amp alt on the comments section, as does the '93.

It doesn't look like they ordered them.

ImEvil1
04-17-2008, 08:00 PM
It looks as if the 130 amp would be the correct unit, from info found here:
http://www.specialservicemustang.net/87Package.html

Doug,

That page is just a general listing of options...some were a part of the package, while others had to be ordered separately. The alternator is a good example of that, as well as the VASCAR cables. Both were available options, but weren't part of the "standard" Special Service Package.

NoDrama43
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
In 1987 CHP began discussions with Ford reference upgrading the alternator output on SSP Mustangs. There were several pilot programs designed that included switching out 1000 65 amp alternators to the new Ford 3G 95 amp unit. The pilot program was never put in place and eventually cancelled as Ford was designing something new (130amp alts). There were 3 CHP mustangs modified with the 95 amp alternator that required a wiring harness adaptor. They were switched back when the pilot program was scrapped in March of 1988.

As for the 92 CHP cars I can say that my 92 CHP car came with the harness for a 130 amp alternator and the bracket for a 130 amp alternator. The bracket has a 7 inch bolt to bolt opening versus the smaller opening for the smaller alternator.

My 92 FHP had the 130
My 93 FHP has the 130
My 93 SCHP does not have the 130.

On the build sheet for DSO 72-0002 for my 92 CHP car the alternator code is

#31 G
#32 T

Option G.........bonding straps
Option O........CHP supression

Not sure if the alternator is included in either of those DSO options, but I know CHP had been screaming for higher output alternators since 1987.

1989 Tx DPS SSP
04-17-2008, 10:55 PM
I remember seeing the Texas outfitted with that harness. I got the one off of the car that Roman found that was salvage. Tony's car did not have it. I think his was built in April 88. The 88 Tx Car car I sold BLUESTANG has the harness. Jim do you have a copy of the program letter from Ford. I do not. Doesanyone have an Extra pulley for 130 AMP Alt.

Tom

D_C
04-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Doug,

That page is just a general listing of options...some were a part of the package, while others had to be ordered separately. The alternator is a good example of that, as well as the VASCAR cables. Both were available options, but weren't part of the "standard" Special Service Package.

Ahh. I apologize for that. I'll stop spreading bad info. :sorry:

ImEvil1
04-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Ahh. I apologize for that. I'll stop spreading bad info. :sorry:

No apology necessary...we are all still learning here. That's what makes this hobby great. :)

Jim,

Excellent info, and I included the pilot program info in the CHP resto doc back when I posted it. Take a look at the '92 FHP build, which definitely included the 130amp alt, and let me know what you think. The codes are definitely different (thanks Predator, for the in-depth analysis).

I only have my '93 FHP to use as reference, and the car is in great shape....I've never had to pull the alt off. I wasn't even sure of the differences between the brackets for the stock alt versus the Lestek and Motorcraft 130s.

Sounds like we need to post pics of each, explain the differences, and research the harnesses a bit too. This is all good info and will do nothing but help others in their resto endeavors. :thumbsup:

NoDrama43
04-18-2008, 12:02 AM
I remember seeing the Texas outfitted with that harness. I got the one off of the car that Roman found that was salvage. Tony's car did not have it. I think his was built in April 88. The 88 Tx Car car I sold BLUESTANG has the harness. Jim do you have a copy of the program letter from Ford. I do not. Doesanyone have an Extra pulley for 130 AMP Alt.

Tom

Tom,

Yes I have the original of numerous CHP and Ford Motor Co documents dealing with the alternators. I can send out copies or maybe Mike can post them. The docs are memos between CHP and Ford engineering officials.

1989 Tx DPS SSP
04-18-2008, 08:13 AM
That would be great. I wish I had taken the Ford Document from the 88 Tx cars I saw for sale.

Tom