PDA

View Full Version : Flip my ride?

ImEvil1
06-15-2008, 10:23 AM
This guy sure didn't waste any time. Mysteriously up to 6K in less than 24 hours, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Low-93K-1991-Ford-Mustang-5-0-LX-NC-SSP-1-Own-All-Paperwork_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6236QQihZ014Q QitemZ330244444525QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

predator20
06-15-2008, 10:31 AM
A quick detail can go a long way. Man these people.

NoDrama43
06-15-2008, 03:00 PM
what did it sell for when it was listed last time?

ImEvil1
06-15-2008, 03:25 PM
$4425

http://www.govdeals.com/eas/closedItems_sold.cfm?itemID=4&acctID=199&CFID=5332064&CFTOKEN=62349497

Unmrkd
06-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Pet Peve - Center caps popped in.:No no:

86NeSSP
06-16-2008, 07:29 AM
I guess that's a way to try and make 3500.00 on top of your investment.

I can't stand the popped in caps either.

NoDrama43
06-16-2008, 05:09 PM
$4425
http://www.govdeals.com/eas/closedItems_sold.cfm?itemID=4&acctID=199&CFID=5332064&CFTOKEN=62349497

GGG - the legal definition . :yes:

A club or fraternity whose membership is reserved for those special caring people that:

A. "in the interest of furthering the hobby, creating and
enjoying long lasting friendships, and recording the
historical significance of police mustangs".

B. Buys an ssp car or item at a reasonable price, brags about it,
then immediatly trys to sell the item for a huge inflated
outragious price.

C. While claiming that its ok because of:
1. supply and demand considerations.
2. hidden costs and expenses
3. My wife is making me sell it.
4. any other lame excuse not noted.

In this particular instance I do not think A. or B. is present so I will just refer to this seller as a car-flipper.

stubes
06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
i think at least for the time being until things settle down the easy money flipping days on cars are over.
unless something is a give away good deal, people don't seem to be buying anything!

svopaul
06-16-2008, 07:06 PM
I looked at that car on Govdeals and lost interest when it was bid to $3500....this guy is going to be hard pressed in the current economy...nobody is buying squat out there.

Vintageracer
06-16-2008, 11:48 PM
I disagree! People are still buying LOT'S of stuff, cars included. I sold my FHP car is 12 hours on Ebay. The one before that in 4 hours on Craigslist. As long as the price matches the condition, things still sell good. There is a price at which you and others will STILL buy anything if you think it is a good deal or something you really want.

There are a lot of SSP cars out there that your could get for free and STILL not afford to restore the car for what you can buy one correctly completed SSP car for at this time.

The mechanic does not ask you how much your car is worth before he quotes the labor. The parts guy does not price his parts based upon the value of your car. The painter and paint supplier do not price there labor and supplies based upon what your car is worth. The reality is that it costs the same to paint a 67 Corvette or a 92 SSP car with equivalent quality paintwork. You better make sure what you are restoring is worth the investment. The price of the goods and services for restoration of your car has NOTHING to do with the completed or restored value of your car. Personally, I think some of the restored SSP cars that many on this board "think" were overpriced are bargains in my mind. $20K is NOTHING in the collector car market.

Let's see, basket case 69 Camaro Z28 or restored SSP car for $20K? 2 years worth of work on the 69Z and $30K-$40K of expense for parts and labor or a restored SSP car NOW for the same $20K purchase price that I can enjoy now?

The answer to that question is a no brainer. Buy the SSP! The guys who like the 69 Z are fat, over 50 years of age and thinking about retirement and those expenses. The SSP guys and Fox body Mustang guys are generally 35 years of age, now entering their best earnings years as far as income and will be the buyers of collector cars such as Fox body cars for the next 10 years. What market do you want to participate in? Already expensive Camaro's or currently cheap Fox body cars?

It sure makes that $20K correctly restored to service appearance SSP car look like a mighty nice bargain compared to that project Camaro Z28 for the same money!!!!

NoDrama43
06-17-2008, 12:24 AM
I looked at that car on Govdeals and lost interest when it was bid to $3500....this guy is going to be hard pressed in the current economy...nobody is buying squat out there.

+1

Have you noticed all the ssp cars lately that get relisted, or sell for stupid low money. People are selling them to buy gasoline to drive to work. Other people are buying them because those people are giving them away. Sure every now and again someone lists a car that a particular member here is looking for and it gets sold, but lately that has not happened much.

the car on gov deals was a decent buy at 4425.00. Nothing special, no equipment, destroyed (faded white) interior, and I guarantee you a host of other problems not disclosed or photographed in the auction. The seller now is simply trying to flip the car and make some quick cash. Once his super duper rare one of a kind ssp car is sold he will move on to the next flipmobile and do it again.

svopaul
06-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Mike, you are preaching to the choir.....I own a restoration shop. While there will ALWAYS be a certain portion of the population that will buy no matter what the general average Joe who dabbles into cars has pretty much stopped. Car collecting and restoration is a luxury and when the economy hits a downturn the luxury items are what go first.

I sell parts as well and I can tell you based on FACT that people have slowed their buying habits considerably.....when you can't give away a $1200 body kit for an '05 Mustang for $300 then there is obviously something wrong in the economy that is causing people to trim their spending habits.

With that said...even though I personally have tightened things up, I am still buying cars but I am buying vintage Mustangs because the prices are good and it's an investment. I've bought 5 Vintage Mustangs in the past 6 weeks...all projects but all cheap and they aren't making them anymore...I picked up a '67 Big Block Coupe, '67 Fastback, '68 GT coupe, '66 GT Coupe and today I am picking up a '69 Mach 1. That is the plus side of the down economy in that people are willing to sell cheaper at times so if you are in the position it becomes a buyers market.....but the general spending habits of the consumer have in fact been affected and people are buying less. Even Ebay has seen a drastic decline in sales for sellers.....I use it as a garage sale and I know a lot of people who sell and the feeling is the same among everyone that nobody is really spending any money.

As far as restoration goes....yes, it quite obviously costs the same to restore almost any car other than the availability of parts which can affect cost. That aspect of the hobby will continue (I still have a long waiting list) but it will slow down as it affects those who are not independently wealthy.

...and restoration costs are going up as well....as paint supplies see price increases and everything else under the sun....a quality paint job is only going to go up unfortunately.

Vintageracer
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
+1Once his super duper rare one of a kind ssp car is sold he will move on to the next flipmobile and do it again.

That's what makes America GREAT!

NoDrama43
06-17-2008, 01:05 PM
...and restoration costs are going up as well....as paint supplies see price increases and everything else under the sun....a quality paint job is only going to go up unfortunately.

I can attest to that. I paid 300.00 for a gallon of paint last week.

1 gallon of basecoat black + 1 gallon of clear+ hardner= 588.00

svopaul
06-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Yup....I have my own mixing system so I get a break on paint but we just sprayed this '93 Cobra this past weekend and the basecoat only was $350/gallon....we used the entire gallon on just the chassis. That is just color....clear, primer, etc all extra above that.

FHP813
06-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Wow! I wish I could do a car that way.

NoDrama43
06-17-2008, 08:13 PM
nothing beats a rotisserrie for sure !!

(i have no idea if that is spelled correctly....):headscratch:

svopaul
06-18-2008, 08:32 AM
nothing beats a rotisserrie for sure !!

(i have no idea if that is spelled correctly....):headscratch:

Close enough for gov;t work I think...:)

86NeSSP
06-18-2008, 08:48 AM
So the car looks to have sold on eBay for $6800.00. I guess that was a decent return on the purchasers $$$.

NoDrama43
06-18-2008, 03:07 PM
lets give it a week to see if it gets relisted....

non paying bidder yappity yap...

Mustang Matt
06-26-2008, 10:57 PM
We are looking at a car a week right now. Brought to the shop for low money- same deal, hot rodders, mostly kids that have to sell due to inflated living expenses etc. We have bought a few stalled projects for parts. I am definitely keeping my options open to some of the things that are showing up. We have seen no decline in business yet but that may be based on the amount of growth we are experiencing as well as the amount of international business we conduct.