PDA

View Full Version : Paint and Body recommendations

litsnsirn
07-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Well, my project seems to have stalled. Can anyone in the midwest recommend a paint/body guy that I could take my 82 to? I would be willing to travel about a day from the Chicagoland area(so that I could trailer the car each way in a weekend). Everyone local seems to be blowing me off or flaking out on me, not things that make me want to hand them money. I was hoping to get the body in paint this year, but...

PoliceSSP
07-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Jason,
I had my WI SSP done at a shop in Racine, WI and I am very happy with it.
If you are interested, PM or email me.

svopaul
07-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Speaking as someone who owns a restoration shop....the reason they are likely blowing you off is because you want an all over paint job...most production/collision shops try intentionally to blow off that kind of work because there is more money in doing crash repair and all over paint jobs take more time. Also crash repair customers are often not as picky as those who want an all over repaint.

This is the sad reality of most body shops today unfortunately.

There are very few shops like me that specialize in restoration work....simply because while we get paid for what we do, we do not make a ton of profit like the crash shops....I personally do what I do because there is no satisfaction in crash work and no appreciation by the customer like there is in restoration/custom work.

Talk to people in local car clubs and you should get some word of mouth references for shops they have been happy with that will WANT your business rather than a shop that considers you a "bother".

litsnsirn
07-17-2008, 05:15 PM
There are not a ton of Fox body cars represented at the local shows, the ones that are seem to be straight out race cars, some kind of pro-street rides, or late model Fox's with big bad stereos. Although there was a nice '84 GT with 24k miles at a show last night. Most of the people that I have talked to snicker when I tell them what I want to do to a Fox Mustang. It still seems that the regular Mustang crowd still looks down on them, I think that Mustang II's might get more respect.

Speaking as someone who owns a restoration shop....the reason they are likely blowing you off is because you want an all over paint job...most production/collision shops try intentionally to blow off that kind of work because there is more money in doing crash repair and all over paint jobs take more time. Also crash repair customers are often not as picky as those who want an all over repaint.

This is the sad reality of most body shops today unfortunately.

There are very few shops like me that specialize in restoration work....simply because while we get paid for what we do, we do not make a ton of profit like the crash shops....I personally do what I do because there is no satisfaction in crash work and no appreciation by the customer like there is in restoration/custom work.

Talk to people in local car clubs and you should get some word of mouth references for shops they have been happy with that will WANT your business rather than a shop that considers you a "bother".

mac88chp
07-17-2008, 05:36 PM
I found a body shop through contacting a number of different (Mustang and non-Mustang) car clubs. The list of shops they could come up with for this kind of work was really short. The place that did mine does crash work in the front of the shop while the back half always has three resto projects going and they get worked on whenever the guys up front get slow....hence it takes 6 months+ for them to get an average project car done. The cars being worked on along with mine during the time my car was in "paint jail" included an Alfa, a '70 Chevelle, a '67 Camaro and a '66 Shelby Mustang race car. Yeah, mine may have been the most off-beat subject in the shop but it also got the most attention from people who saw it there according to the owner. :cool:

Widen your contacts with clubs and hobbyists and you should be able to find a shop, it just may not be located around the corner.

FHP813
07-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Paul and Mike are correct. Most "Body shops" do not want to get involved in a complete paint job, it's not worth it for them. They make their money on collision (insurance) work. My car is in one of those shops with the complete understanding that my car will be worked on when time permits. Also I will be assembling the car myself which takes alot of time and as we know time is money.

litsnsirn
07-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I plan on disassembling the car myself, ie pulling the drive train, interior, dash, most glass, etc... I want the doors and front sheet metal rehung, but that is not something that I trust myself to do, especially after they have been painted.

svopaul
07-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Yup, full on restoration projects in my shop are usually done "as time permits" so they get worked on here and there and I bill monthly based on how many hours are spent on the car....time clock style.

In and out work like engine swaps, performance work are better paying jobs than restoration work is so they take priority and that is a necessity to pay bills. It does take a lot of time to do paint jobs and resto's in order to do them right.

The other issue that plays a factor for EVERY shop is help....good help is nearly impossible to find! I am short handed and we have just come to the understanding that we like it better that way....less drama, no worries about following someone else, etc. EVERY time I have brought on a new guy it has bit me in the arse and not worked out...you get tired of it after a while. I also won't hire just anyone...I deal with fast and expensive cars and not just anyone should be working on them so there has to be a trust issue as well which is why I usually immediately turn down every 16 year old that comes through the door looking for a job.

I know it's hard as the car owner but patience and a good attitude is key to getting a good job, the last thing you want to be is "that guy" who they dread coming into the shop....that doesn't mean you have to take anything though...just be reasonable and understand their position but if they take advantage of or ignore you then by all means speak up. My point though is that if they are into the job and like you...then you will most certainly end up with a nicer job in the end. The biggest problem out there is that some people watch TV and think you can build a car from scratch in 7 days because they saw it done on TV....NO shop have a 24/7 crew of 150 people that can make that happen...it's not reality.

Don't worry about if people are into Fox cars....ANY old car owner will give you a recomendation on a shop and you can look at their car and see the work first hand.

I also don't think the Foxes aren't respected....I think on the show circuit most Fox owners don't bother because clubs like the MCA are not in touch with that segment. For example...MCA classes ALL 74-06 Mustangs in the Modified Driven class....this isn't fair despite their claims it is...the design flaws found on a fox are not found on the newer cars so all things being equal in their point system the Fox car will lose EVERY time because the hatch rubs the paint on the body and if you drive the car you can't stop that(for example).

It is really sad at the MCA shows that there are almost NO Fox Mustangs...no Pace Cars, McLarens, SVO's, GT Turbo, GT350, SSP, etc....the smart thing would be to have a special interest class to cater to these cars. I expressed this to the MCA judges but pretty much got blown off despite being told I had a valid point. Ever since then I just don't bother showing my SVO or any other "oddball" Fox....why bother? Now for the Vintage cars they have their act together but not for the later cars. Their judges also have a lot to learn...I had a Judge in Pensacola tell me that if I glued a piece of round plastic to the body of the car under the hatch bumper where it rubs the paint that "it would be a modification and look good too!"....my reply was "you're kidding right?" What kind of suggestion is that?!?

Anyway....that's one reason I think you don't see many Foxes at the MCA affiliated shows or small shows.....another is that many people still drive the wheels off these cars and have not relegated them to show duty yet....give it time though....they will eventually.