PDA

View Full Version : New MO SSP today

mustangretriever
08-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Some of you have/may have noticed my signature has included a 1993 MSHP Mustang in addition to my 89 for a couple weeks now. Today I drove to Columbia MO to pick up Mike Cunningham's 93. Mike is an MSHP Sgt and drove this car for the last year of it's service life, it was hard for him to let go but it's in good hands now too. :yes:

There's some conflicting info, but this was either the last in-service MO Mustang or second to last.

It's in very nice shape with 137,000 miles and only needs a few things. I'll be adding all the correct emergency equipment, hard wiring the lightbar, returning the engine to stock, rebuilding the driver's seat, some suspension work and doing a little paint work too. Let the fun begin!

I'll be posting more pictures soon!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/mustangretriever/DSC00403.jpg

ImEvil1
08-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Nice looking ride, Eric. :yes:

86NeSSP
08-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Extremely NICE. That is very nice that you got the car from the former Trooper that drove it.

FHP813
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Beautiful car. The history is awesome! :thumbsup:

Texaspony87
08-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Dave Colvin put that car back together, what does it need?

NoDrama43
08-02-2008, 10:49 PM
very nice Eric. congrats on the aquisition.

mustangretriever
08-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Dave Colvin put that car back together, what does it need?

Equipment wise, it is more or less a caricature of how a Missouri Mustang would have looked. He did a nice job with what was there, it's just not correct.

1. The wiring of all the emergency equipment was completely wrong compared to how the Patrol did it and he wired it with a removable lightbar with a plug-in connection. The lightbar has the wrong internal flasher unit and no flashing takedowns installed.
2. It has the wrong low-band radio and no repeater
3. Missing the low-band and repeater radio speakers
4. Wrong 12V outlet in wrong location
5. Radar was in-op and the antennas have cut wires for display only and the wrong antenna brackets. Missing the coiled cord for the front antenna and the correct dash bracket
6. That's what I recall off the top of my head.

I already removed all the emergency equipment and wiring and will be starting over. I've got almost everything to do the equipment per MSHP specs once the following other things are corrected:

1. Needs a starter
2. Needs a fuel pump, the one on it is going out
3. Needs shocks/struts
4. Drivers seat needs new foam and lower seat spring. The checkered fabric on the drivers seat back is also wearing thin so I'll get that redone too. Otherwise the interior is cherry! Well, it needs an ashtry door and console lid latch.
5. Needs non-stock components replaced. It has GT-40 heads, a mild cam, bigger throttle body, aftermarket headers and an aftermarket shifter...it sounds cool and runs awesome but it's not stock. I got all the stock parts from Mike except the factory headers but those are easy to find.
5. Paint work...the underside of the fender lips are black and should be white to match the body. David had the car repainted white and the body shop did a really nice job, they removed the moldings, glass, F&R clips, etc but they didn't do a very good job on the lower rocker moldings. So I'll have it repainted below the beltlines between the wheels on both sides.

I've got a lot of work to do!!

Do you know Colvin? I wouldn't mind talking to him if you've got a phone number or email address. The email I had for him is no longer good.

mustangretriever
08-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Here's a few shots in my garage after I stripped it today:

http://public.fotki.com/mustangretriever/our_mustangs/1993-ford-mustang-s/

MOstang
08-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Eric,

Congratulations...I can imagine a tough decision for Mike to sell, but he will be able to rest assured it will be well cared for and the history appreciated. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Mike

Texaspony87
08-03-2008, 02:52 PM
O.k. I didn't realize all that was needed :) Dave lives here in Michigan. I'll ask him to contact you. We found the car in PA. and I went with him to purchase it way back when. I always liked the car and I know he was sorry to have sold it but was happy it went back to Mike C. Take care Eric.

Texaspony87
08-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Display of our cars several years ago.

NoDrama43
08-03-2008, 03:34 PM
O.k. I didn't realize all that was needed :) Dave lives here in Michigan. I'll ask him to contact you. We found the car in PA. and I went with him to purchase it way back when. I always liked the car and I know he was sorry to have sold it but was happy it went back to Mike C. Take care Eric.

Joe...."way back when"......means way back when these cars were just taking off and there was what.....about 20 of us interested in them?? :)

thats back when I didn't have quite as much gray hair too !!!

I need to get to Michigan sooooon before it is too late. What does september look like for you??

1993SSP
08-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Eric,

I am sad to see that Mike sold the car, but I am glad to see that you have it and I know it will be taken care of. It is kind of like giving away a puppy, you miss it like crazy, but rest easy knowing it is at a good home...

As far as some of the things that need work, I will try and post what I know.

All of the Engine / Performance mods must have happened after I owned it. When I had it the car was all stock to my knowledge. I am no expert in the mechanics of the internal combustion engine, but from what I was told it was stock.

Most of the equipment I installed in the car was in fact "for display only". I tried to get as close to accurate as I could find, but it sounds like I fell WAY SHORT on that task. I used some old MOHP pictures and information, but I guess some of my information was bad. The good thing was that I never drilled ANY additional holes in the car interior to get the equipment installed. Some of the things may have not been put in the EXACT location, but I got as close as I could to the exact location of things without having to drill. As far as the antennas I am surprised to hear something is wrong. I used pictures that Mike had when it was in-service and spent countless hours trying to find those that matched the photos. A couple of guys from the MOHP Garage looked over the set-up and said it looked good.

Bruce H. and I wired the car the way we did for several reasons. At the time we were having a HUGE problem here in MI with Police Impersonators and such. I work in Law Enforcement, but I obviously still have to comply with the regulations surrounding privately owned emergency vehicles. Everything was wired to that board in the trunk so that the main switch could be shut off and none of the switches on the control box had power. That way I could never be blamed for using the wig-wags, etc... while in transit. The lightbar quick connect was installed also so that I could take it off and not have to deal with those issues while in transit as well. It was a great set-up and the wiring job by Bruce H. was awesome.

The body shop I went to did do a pretty good job. It was certainly not a perfect job, but I was happy with it. I did a lot of the prep-work myself so I could say I had a hand in it.

Anway, I am glad you are going to do the car right! I just couldn't find some of the exact equipment and got as close as I could. I thought I had done a good job with it, but after reading your post I am embarrased that I even showed it in that condition! Maybe it is a good thing I got out of the hobby:headscratch:

Dave C.

1993SSP
08-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Eric,

I thought of a couple more things when I read your post again...

The drivers seat has already been rebuilt once. At least the foam and such. The springs probably need some attention and the fabric was on the edge of needing replacement when I had it. It wasn't to that point yet, but it sounds like it is now.

As I stated before, it was a car for display, not for set up to be a functioning police car. The important parts for display worked as they should have, but no essential things such as radar, High-band, low-band, etc... were not wired and functional because there was no need for that.

Anyway, I hope that helps with some quesions you may have. I hope Mike gave you the 3-ring Binder of documentation that I had for the car.

ImEvil1
08-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Eric,

I am sad to see that Mike sold the car, but I am glad to see that you have it and I know it will be taken care of. It is kind of like giving away a puppy, you miss it like crazy, but rest easy knowing it is at a good home...

As far as some of the things that need work, I will try and post what I know.

All of the Engine / Performance mods must have happened after I owned it. When I had it the car was all stock to my knowledge. I am no expert in the mechanics of the internal combustion engine, but from what I was told it was stock.

Most of the equipment I installed in the car was in fact "for display only". I tried to get as close to accurate as I could find, but it sounds like I fell WAY SHORT on that task. I used some old MOHP pictures and information, but I guess some of my information was bad. The good thing was that I never drilled ANY additional holes in the car interior to get the equipment installed. Some of the things may have not been put in the EXACT location, but I got as close as I could to the exact location of things without having to drill. As far as the antennas I am surprised to hear something is wrong. I used pictures that Mike had when it was in-service and spent countless hours trying to find those that matched the photos. A couple of guys from the MOHP Garage looked over the set-up and said it looked good.

Bruce H. and I wired the car the way we did for several reasons. At the time we were having a HUGE problem here in MI with Police Impersonators and such. I work in Law Enforcement, but I obviously still have to comply with the regulations surrounding privately owned emergency vehicles. Everything was wired to that board in the trunk so that the main switch could be shut off and none of the switches on the control box had power. That way I could never be blamed for using the wig-wags, etc... while in transit. The lightbar quick connect was installed also so that I could take it off and not have to deal with those issues while in transit as well. It was a great set-up and the wiring job by Bruce H. was awesome.

The body shop I went to did do a pretty good job. It was certainly not a perfect job, but I was happy with it. I did a lot of the prep-work myself so I could say I had a hand in it.

Anway, I am glad you are going to do the car right! I just couldn't find some of the exact equipment and got as close as I could. I thought I had done a good job with it, but after reading your post I am embarrased that I even showed it in that condition! Maybe it is a good thing I got out of the hobby:headscratch:

Dave C.

Dave,

I didn't know you had signed up here, but I'll say that since you did, you are still in the hobby. :)

I think you deserve recognition for your original work on the car. You did that during a time when most people were throwing whatever e-equipment they could find on a given car and taking it to shows as a "restored" police car. I saw some of the worst in FL...and it helped me appreciate seeing cars done by those like you, Joe H., Bruce H. and others who went the extra mile and tried to be as correct as possible.

Eric P. does have a ton of knowledge about the MSHP cars and will take it to the next level. I'm sure it will be as nice as his other one when he's done. :thumbsup:

mustangretriever
08-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Not that I want to refer to .org here...but I posted a small book over there about this car, it's equipment and not meaning to offend anyone!

NoDrama43
08-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Not that I want to refer to .org here...but I posted a small book over there about this car, it's equipment and not meaning to offend anyone!

what in the world for ?????? :headscratch:

(just joking Eric) ;)

I understand you wanting the car to be as correct as possible as I am the same way. I remember seeing the car when Dave owned it and thinking it was a super nice car. Back then he didn't have the benefit of your book and resto guide and all the research you have done so without a doubt he did a super job saving the car. It's all good and while I understand how he might have felt slighted by the post I imagine he will realize you were just excited to get the car and tweak it some to take it to the next level. When I bought the dark blue MSHP car from Gregg H we talked about the things that are not exactly correct on the car and he knows I have a laundry list of stuff to do. Many people would not do anything to the car and be perfectly happy with it. In the long run that is really all that matters, the fact that the owner is happy with their car. I have no doubt that when we see the MustangRetriever version of this 93 car it will be awesome.

mustangretriever
11-09-2008, 11:41 PM
I got all the correct equipment permanently installed and everything is working. I made several custom brackets to match the MSHP stuff and if I do say so it turned out really nice! I got it done just in time to go to it's new owner tomorrow. I guess I was always meant to just own one SSP at a time!

Exterior photos I took yesterday:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/mustangretriever/1993MSHP1.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/mustangretriever/1993MSHP2.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/mustangretriever/1993MSHP5.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/mustangretriever/8993MSHP.jpg

mustangretriever
11-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Here's some interior views.

This picture was taken by Trooper Cunningham when the car was still in-service in 1996:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/mustangretriever/MikeCunninghams1993MSHP-In-Servicep.jpg

This is what it looks like after I got done putting everything back in:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/mustangretriever/1993MSHP3.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/mustangretriever/1993MSHP4.jpg

FHP813
11-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Great job Eric! The car looks awesome.:2thumbs:

WSP-SSP
11-10-2008, 12:23 AM
very nice car, i saw one like this at the museum in jeff city this past summer when i was home.

mustangretriever
11-10-2008, 12:31 AM
very nice car, i saw one like this at the museum in jeff city this past summer when i was home.

Thanks! The one in the museum is an '88 and it's only got around 33K miles on it.

PoliceSSP
11-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Eric,
That is one teriffic job on restoring your cars. I just wish I can get mine near as close to original as you do. Sometimes the info isn't there but one tries. Congrats on a resto done right.

ImEvil1
11-10-2008, 02:27 AM
Outstanding!

xfhp-730
11-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Where can you find one of those clip on CB antennas? I've never seen any around here, and would like one for my patrol car.

Jody

MOstang
11-10-2008, 09:17 PM
I've seen quite a few of Eric's photos along the way as he's been enhancing what was already a great car. Excellent job Eric and I hope to have my 93 looking like this sometime soon!

Winterpark SSP
11-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Nice work! Looks GREAT!:yes:

mustangretriever
11-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Where can you find one of those clip on CB antennas? I've never seen any around here, and would like one for my patrol car.

Jody

The CB antenna is a Hustler XBLT-4, try buying from www.kenselectronics.com in MI or from www.new-tronics.com in TX

xfhp-730
11-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks Eric, I will get me one of those. Those sites have some good stuff on them.

Jody