PDA

View Full Version : CHP paint break at the C Pillar

litsnsirn
09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
My 82 no longer has the external c pillar trim. I wasn't sure that the car had it, but while removing the sail panels, I found another stud that turned and revealed a ground down mounting stud and filled hole. I'm guessing it would have been one of the mounting points for the vinyl top(?) trim between the c pillar and the quarter panel. Did all 82's have this? If so, what are these pieces called, because I'll need to throw up wanted ads on FEP, etc...?

ImEvil1
09-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Jason,

The '82s had those, and you are right about them being moldings for the vinyl trim. I found a set NOS, but they were the last pieces Green Sales had on hand at the time. I don't remember the part number, but I will try to look it up for you in one of my parts books, or see if I can find the paperwork for mine (they are out in storage).

litsnsirn
09-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks Mike,
As long as I am thinking of it, is the door sticker intact on your car? The bottom part of mine is legible, but the top part is almost all black, and I need the information from the top panel to have one repro'd.

ImEvil1
09-18-2008, 08:40 PM
My door sticker is like that also. How bad is yours?

Here is a pic of the molding. I have a box of my CHP stuff in my office and I forgot these were in there. 18A is pictured, 19A for the drivers side.

litsnsirn
09-18-2008, 11:10 PM
I'll shoot a picture tomorrow, but the top pane of mine is illegible, but the bottom is fine.

litsnsirn
09-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Green Sales had the 18A but not the 19A.

ImEvil1
09-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Tom M. looked them up and Miller Obsolete shows the other side. You should be able to make the set. :)

chp1982
09-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Good Lord, what a find, I have never heard of those places. Mine are intact but very worn. They match the car nicely though!

ImEvil1
09-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Good Lord, what a find, I have never heard of those places. Mine are intact but very worn. They match the car nicely though!

Only difference is the color.....which is easily fixed. Glad yours are still on there. I had the one on the passenger side, but my drivers side was missing (as was the attaching hardware).

litsnsirn
09-22-2008, 12:03 PM
One of each ordered. AOL seems to have stopped letting me host pictures, what is the best service to use for posting a pic of the door tag?

Also, Mike, as long as I am thinking of it, do you have the part number for the 82 front plate bracket?

litsnsirn
09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Ooops, it seems to work now.

http://members.aol.com/jasona91/tag.jpg

I pulled some of the vin digits off, but see what I was saying about the top pane.

litsnsirn
09-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Well, finally got the engine and trans out. Finished after dark, but I'll try and grab some pictures after worm, tomorrow. Those have to be the easiest motor mounts that I have ever seen. The whole process was made more difficult, because my jack broke while it was holding the tailshaft up and the front end was up on jackstands. Had to drop the engine back into the mounts and reinstall the bolts and lift the car with the cherry picker, to remove the jack.

Some thoughts.

I was able to get the exhaust off intact, but since it will be a show car and no emissions will be required, is there a bolt on dual conversion that I can use that will not require any permanent modification to the car and doesn't look to un stock? If so can I just find a shorter belt and leave the air pump off? Is there a good way to preserve the stock exhaust. I have to say that the air pump to cat fitting is kind of shady, I wouldn't be surprised if that had been leaking.

How durable are the four speeds? Should I take it to a trans shop for a inspection teardown, while it is out of the car? (While I am thinking of it, clutch flywheel options?)

PS I'd forgotten how bad a pool of spilled gear lube could smell, good thing I parked the trailer over it.

WSP-SSP
10-11-2008, 12:07 AM
nice looking project, keep us posted!