PDA

View Full Version : Gas smell

litsnsirn
01-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Now that it is cold out and the car has some snow on it, I have noticed a fuel smell coming from 0366. I originally thought that I might have a loose line after I changed the fuel pump, but I clamped off the fuel lines and the smell still persists. Is there anywhere that is a likely culprit for my smell that has something that contracted when it got cold? I don't know what the fuel tank looks like, but maybe a donut where the filler goes in?

Andy
01-24-2007, 01:31 AM
The first winter that my car's (8 in Idaho) were in the COLD the hose clamps
allowed the hoses to leak.... could be something similar in the fuel lines on your car
where they go from metal line to Rubber hose to metal line?

Unmrkd
01-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Jason, if you can get it up on a lift it would be easier to check the lines. Start at the tank - the hoses come from the top so you really can't see the connections but you can feel around them for moisture and look for wet areas on the tank and cover. Just as Andy said - check the line connectors going to the fuel filter canaster and the connections up front in the engine compartment. Also look at the entire line run front to back. These cars are getting long in the tooth and the lines have been exposed to weather/elements/damage by contact etc. etc.

Check it close - a potential fire situation is something you don't need. Good luck and let us know what you find.