PDA

View Full Version : 82 CHP #1963

82CHP
11-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Prototype 1982 SSP Mustang, California Highway Patrol #1963.
Approximately 90k miles. I bought it about ten years ago from a kid who used it as a daily driver. He put me in contact with the retired CHP Trooper who originally bought it from the auction. He told me that he outbid the Henry Ford Museum to win the auction. He told me that it was the first prototype Ford built for the CHP to evaluate. Build date is December 1981. After the CHP tested it, it was taken around the country to other agencies to be evaluated.. It hit the wall at Michigan Speedway during a test, was repaired and put into service as an academy training vehicle. The original owner told me that the roll bar, rear seat delete and race harnesses were installed by the CHP at that time. The black interior is original according to the first owner. I have seen old photos on web sites labeled as this car but I can not tell the color of the interior.

Runs and drives well. It does leak some oil.
It may need carb work, you have to pump the gas pedal for a while to start it after it has sat.
Needs paint and interior work. There are a few small rips in driver’s seat and head liner needs to be fixed. Carpet is worn.
It has original spotlights and siren under the drivers side fender, but both are not wired up.
It has later model wheels, headers and dual exhaust. I do have the original exhaust manifolds.
Body is rust free and straight and in primer. But there are a few small dings and dents.
New shocks, struts, fuel pump, brakes, clutch about 2k ago.
I bought it to turn into a drag car until I learned the history and decided to restore it at some point. I have other projects and don’t have the time or money to do justice to this important piece of Ford history. I will only sell it to somebody who will respect the history of this car. The car is located in Colorado and I have a clean title.
Contact Eric at etbarker@peoplepc and make me an offer. I can send more photos.

Vintageracer
11-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Email & PM sent!

Vintageracer
11-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Sold!

FlyinTiger
11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
That was a no-brainer for you. It was an obligation. What a match to the EVOC!:2thumbs:

jarhed123
11-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Great buy, Congrad..

ImEvil1
11-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a great car.....do you have any documentation for it that you can post up?

faslane
11-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Sold!

Can't you wait till some of us get home from work and look around?

1jerryl
11-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Found this over on org.....same unit #

http://www.sspmustang.org/photos/smf_photo3ac.htm

I have to say, thats pretty neat that car is still around.

Jerry
91 X-CHP

Rhino
11-19-2008, 01:20 AM
That's awesome. Will make a good stable mate to the EVOC car. :)

NoDrama43
11-19-2008, 10:20 AM
LOL.........

I thought I could take a dump then pm the guy about the car.....

excellent.......an now you have the matched EVOC set. that is cool. :2thumbs:

1jerryl
11-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Found picture of car in Ed Sanow's Ford Police Car Book page 134. Car has roll bar but odd to see chrome spots on it. I think car was used for press photo shoots. I have a copy of that photo from a magazine circa 1982 I believe.

Jerry
91 X-CHP

Vintageracer
11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I would love to see any pictures you or anyone else would have of this car in service or in publication!

Thanks for the information on the book!

1jerryl
11-19-2008, 12:56 PM
I can send you the picture I cut out of a magazine, like I said, I think it was around 82-83. Has a little blurb about CHP starting to use them.

Jerry
91 X-CHP

jarhed123
11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Post the pic here also. We would like to see it also.

1jerryl
11-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Ill run over to Staples and have it scanned.

Jerry
91 X-CHP

mac88chp
11-19-2008, 02:04 PM
It might be this one from a scanned article on the main site:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/images/85Hotrod2.jpg

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/Articles.html

28HopUp
11-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Very cool. Glad to see a car like that be saved.

1jerryl
11-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Ok need a little help. I had it scanned to a PDF file. However, when I attempt to download, it says the file is too big. I even tried to Zip it and that didnt help either..

Jerry
91 X-CHP

86NeSSP
11-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Ok need a little help. I had it scanned to a PDF file. However, when I attempt to download, it says the file is too big. I even tried to Zip it and that didnt help either..

Jerry
91 X-CHP

email the .pdf to me and I will get it up on the site for you
PM coming...

Matt

Vintageracer
11-19-2008, 05:46 PM
I doubt that those are pictures of this car. This car has black interior, not the CHP standard tan that you expect. There are some pictures on the web listed as car #1963 with 2 different paint schemes. This car was all black originally per the trim tag. The early photos of the car without the cage show the car with a black roof and what appears to be a black interior. Later photos of the car with the cage show a white roof but no way to tell the interior color so far. I understand the car was painted when the cage was installed for Academy use to reflect the current fleet paint scheme of all Mustangs.

I am sure more information and more photos will appear as I try to find more information about the car. I am currently working with the EVOC sergeant who drove the 92 EVOC car for additional information as he knows the EVOC sergeant at the time who would have been assigned this car at the academy.

1jerryl
11-19-2008, 05:58 PM
It appears car may have had several looks to it. There are two pictures of car on org., they came from Darryl Lindsay. One shows white roof (just roof, not a or c pillars) with chrome spots and other has correct roof paint and black spots. Stay tuned for posting of pic I have..

Jerry
91 X-CHP

predator20
11-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Found picture of car in Ed Sanow's Ford Police Car Book page 134. Car has roll bar but odd to see chrome spots on it. I think car was used for press photo shoots. I have a copy of that photo from a magazine circa 1982 I believe.

Jerry
91 X-CHP

This a smaller pic of it out of another book. Already had it scanned, will scan the larger one out of the police car book in a bit.

predator20
11-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Here is the larger pic of it out of the police book. Sucks trying to scan a book.

Vintageracer
11-19-2008, 06:52 PM
The seats and interior look black in that picture.

Vintageracer
11-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Here is another pictures that "may" be of the car as it looks like it has a black interior. I would say this would be a very early picture of the car. Cannot see the license plate so who knows???

ImEvil1
11-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Here is another pictures that "may" be of the car as it looks like it has a black interior. I would say this would be a very early picture of the car. Cannot see the license plate so who knows???

Check out the chrome rocker mouldings and hood...probably a different car.

Has anyone (Mike included) seen anything to document this car other than the number painted in the door?

Vintageracer
11-19-2008, 10:09 PM
I just talked to the original purchaser of the car from the CHP auction. He purchased this car from the CHP in Sacremento. The car was purchased for his daughter as her second car when she was in college. I will be talking with her tonight when she returns home. They tell me they still have the original sales invoice for the car from the CHP auction and will look for that. They also are looking for pictures of the car after their purchase. The car had the rollcage, spot lights, siren and other parts still on the car when they purchased the car. The decals, radio, radio rack and rear lights had already been removed from the car. The spotlights also had clear lenses in both lights when they purchased the car from the CHP. They also gave me a lot of history about the car since their purchase and history they were told about the car by the sergeants when his wife and daughter picked up the car in Sacremento after the auction. They were specifically told that this was the CHP prototype Mustang. True or not true that's what the original purchaser has said. If they can find the invoice that should tell the tale with the unit number and more information. He said the car was very low mileage, in good condition and ran very well. The car was black/white. Their was and still is an antennae plug for a low band antennae on the right rear quarter panel, not the left. The cage was in the car along with the aluminum plate over the rear bulkhead. The car has steel wheels with dog dish caps. With the exception of the original wheels which the 16 year old kid replaced with cheap mags and black primer paint on the lower part of the car, the car is very much just like is was purchased from the CHP.

The original purchaser, her father, worked for Socal Automotive which he said had a contract with the CHP to service their vehicles. Because of that contract he was also privy to cars coming up for auction. He specifically bid on this car to give to his 21 year old daughter for her second car. They won and this became her second car. She drove the car for years and took the car to Colorado when she moved. She eventually "gave" the car to a 16 year old kid across the street from her in Colorado Springs. The current seller bought the car from that kid 10 years ago.

Additional information as I am halfway through writing this post!

Just got off the phone with the daughter who got the car. She tells me the car had the decals removed and the doors painted black when she got the car. She remembers vividly that the car had 10,006 miles when she got the car in 1985. She still has pictures of when she picked up the car with the CHP sergeants handing her the keys and of the car. She will look for those. She also has the original invoice from their purchase from the CHP somewhere! She says the officers told her and her mother at the time they picked the car up from the CHP that the car was the original prototype Mustang for the CHP and was low miles because the car was trailered around the state for show and demonstration. The officers also told her that the car was also sent to the Michigan State Police Trials for evaluation in their police car trials and then returned to California. The trials is where the car "kissed" the wall as she says during high speed evaluation. She "gave" the car to her 16 year old neighbor who helped her for over a year to earn the car while her husband was on a job assignment out of state and she needed help with snow removal, yard care and house maintainance. The car had about 53,000 miles at that time in 1997. The second owner got the car in 1997. The second owner graduated high school and the car was sold to the 3rd owner (current seller) in 1998. All of these people still know each other and still reside in Colorado.

She provided a lot of other information and history about what she and her mother were told when they picked up the car from the CHP and the cars history since that time. She will look for pictures and paperwork on the car.

Still no definitive documentation as to the specific unit number and use other than the number in the door jamb but there is lot's of owner information available since all the people involved in ownership since the CHP are alive and well. I will know more when the car arrives in Nashville and I can go over the car closely.

More to come!

More to come!

ImEvil1
11-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Good stuff Mike. Hopefully the original paperwork will shed some more light on the story and I hope you get some nice pics too.

Vintageracer
11-19-2008, 11:25 PM
This picture shows #1963 with the later style standard Mustang CHP paint package. This picture also shows a right hand installed antennae EXACTLY where pictures of the car I am purchasing has an antennae plug. Unfortunately we cannot see the interior color or if there is a roll cage in the car. This picture also shows black spots instead of chrome.

ImEvil1
11-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Although this one is not technically an SSP car, as verified by the lack of a 6 digit DSO, it's pretty historically significant IMHO, once verified (much like Kevin's CHP hatchback). I know you'll keep us all posted as the info becomes available to you, and it's good to see this one surface and be able to track the progress. :2thumbs:

jarhed123
11-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately we cannot see the interior color or if there is a roll cage in the car.
Looks like you have several ways to re-do this car.

jarhed123
11-20-2008, 12:17 AM
I played with the contrast and brightness and the interrior color never changed. Light colors would get brighter. Next to what I believe is the roll bar, clearly visible, is the seat belt.

Vintageracer
11-20-2008, 07:02 AM
If, and I only say if, this truly is one of the prototype Mustangs for the CHP and possibly/ultimately the 1st EVOC Mustang, isn't it possible/probable that Ford would have provided the car to the CHP to test and help develop and package and the DSO "may" have been different than what is normally expected? This car shows a color code of 1C, all black. Given the production date of 12/81, had the SSP package even been created at that time?

I personally do not know any of these answers. I am just speculating and looking to see if any of you with much more knowledge than I can answer many of the questions that have and will arise with this car.

jarhed123
11-20-2008, 08:23 AM
I believe this car was a solid color car of 1C. Notice on the first picture the roof is only painted on the very top. The part of the sail panels and the spot light areas are black, very much like how they paint cars now witht he CVs.

86NeSSP
11-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Here is the Ad that Jerry had scanned in yesterday...

ImEvil1
11-20-2008, 01:28 PM
If, and I only say if, this truly is one of the prototype Mustangs for the CHP and possibly/ultimately the 1st EVOC Mustang, isn't it possible/probable that Ford would have provided the car to the CHP to test and help develop and package and the DSO "may" have been different than what is normally expected? This car shows a color code of 1C, all black. Given the production date of 12/81, had the SSP package even been created at that time?

I personally do not know any of these answers. I am just speculating and looking to see if any of you with much more knowledge than I can answer many of the questions that have and will arise with this car.

Good questions, and I'm sure there will be more discussion on the car as more information becomes available.

As for the DSO....it wasn't a special ordered car, because it doesn't have the order number next to the sales office code. Ford was doing special orders (and fleet orders) long before this and still does (with the longer, 6 digit codes). It looks like the sales office code for this car code is for Detriot, which doesn't really help, either, as any car destined for a dealership lot up there would have had the same code. I've seen Ford executive cars with Transportation Services DSOs, and there was even an SSP on ORG last year with that same DSO (I think it was 89), so who knows?

It's definitely a 1C, non-special paint car, per the door label, which does not have a blank paint code. Did you ask the seller if it had two buck tags? My guess is that it does not, since it wasn't a special order.

Bottom line is that any documentation will go a long way to help prove what this car is or isn't. I'm sure some of the contacts at CHP that we now have may be able to help as well.

While we are on the subject...Texas DPS tested a car in 1982 also...also with black interior. :)

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/images/1982dps.jpg

mac88chp
11-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Charles Ricks already did a fair amount of research on SSP vehicle usage and a state by state chart of his work was published in the "Fox-Body Mustang Recognition Guide 1979-1993" by Shreiner and Sessler.

About CHP vehicles, here is one of the footnote quotes:

"Total number includes five 1982 hatchback Mustangs (part of original 400) which may not have been actual SS Package Mustangs. Total does not include 1982 California Highway Patrol Mustang E851963 which is a prototype car."

ImEvil1
11-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Charles Ricks already did a fair amount of research on SSP vehicle usage and a state by state chart of his work was published in the "Fox-Body Mustang Recognition Guide 1979-1993" by Shreiner and Sessler.

About CHP vehicles, here is one of the footnote quotes:

"Total number includes five 1982 hatchback Mustangs (part of original 400) which may not have been actual SS Package Mustangs. Total does not include 1982 California Highway Patrol Mustang E851963 which is a prototype car."

Jim Dingell will argue with the 400 number, and I think Mike Riley ran the VINs up via Carfax and posted them on his website. I think the number that he came up with is 406 package-cars, which is the same as Jim.

The shot of E851963 above is the same pic used by Ford in the press release, which I guess is why were are seeing it in so many places.

I'm not sure where the "prototype" designation came from in Charles' research, but I hope Mike is able to put some documentation with the story and fully identify this car.

mac88chp
11-20-2008, 02:50 PM
I had a conversation with Charles Ricks once about the prototype car and I recall him telling me it was suspected that there may have been more than one protype car built and that the E851963 plate may have been used on more than one vehicle. Might explain that odd looking one with the chrome rockers and turbine wheels...or maybe not. I too am anxious to see what documentation turns up on this latest car. If it's legit, it is a hugely historic vehicle for sure!

ImEvil1
11-20-2008, 04:32 PM
I had a conversation with Charles Ricks once about the prototype car and I recall him telling me it was suspected that there may have been more than one protype car built and that the E851963 plate may have been used on more than one vehicle. Might explain that odd looking one with the chrome rockers and turbine wheels...or maybe not. I too am anxious to see what documentation turns up on this latest car. If it's legit, it is a hugely historic vehicle for sure!

That's entirely possible....and we don't know if the cars were just modified regular-production models or not. Judging from the tags on this one, if it turns out to be verified, I'd guess that they were. Remember, CHP was given the cars to evaluate, and I doubt that they special-built a one-off version for them.

Vintageracer
11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
We should know more the first of next week. I expect the car to be delivered to me then.

I will post detailed pictures when I receive the car.

Vintageracer
11-30-2008, 12:36 PM
The car has now shipped from Colorado. I expect delivery the first of the week.

Vintageracer
12-02-2008, 11:58 AM
The car arrived first thing this morning.

Here is a link to pictures of the car. The first grouping of pictures are from the web and pictures the seller sent me prior to purchase of the car.

The last 130+ pictures are of the car as it arrived this morning in all its glory.

Enjoy!

http://www.fototime.com/inv/302CD6C6B8429F0

faslane
12-02-2008, 02:18 PM
That is a pretty cool car, sould be a pleasure for anyone to own, congrates,
enjoy.
BTW dont you hate when you get a new toy and it 35 degrees outside!

chp1982
12-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Vintage Racer was nice enough to let me take a look at his '82 CHP car tonight and it was very impressive. Super straight and super original, the car has a few interesting features to it. The spot lights have a crest of sorts on them that say FOMOCO in the Ford script and they are painted black over the chrome, the odometer is a certified 140mph however it is not the green numbered '82 only speedo, it has cruise, and only one buck tag the he said he would post a picture of. It also did have the rocker moldings. Original siren is present along with the remnant of what was maybe the metal bar hanging off the rear bumper in some of the pics. Whether there were 1, 2, or ?? many cars that wore the 1963 plate, this appears that it is probably one of them at least. This is really an awesome car.
Hopefully more documentation will surface on this car along with some folks who might have some information on some of the rest of our CHP cars. Keep us posted Mike.

Vintageracer
12-05-2008, 11:32 AM
My crappy camera will not take close up pictures of the tag however here is the information listed on the tag. The information is listed in its correct location on the tag as best I am able to list it here.

MUSTANG
148027 66B F 0446
1CC DF ST
AC 02 HB S
RM DL MOD 05
ELECTRIC-A NLR

Also there is a large font "S" stamped crooked that partially covers the "E" in Electric.

There is also large font "AL" stamped crooked just barely in front of the "NLR" stamp on the tag.

Both the large font "S" and the "NLR" are of the same font size that is about 1 1/2 times as large as the the other fonts.

EDIT

Althought I type in the information in the proper location, the size repositions the information. I have tried several times to get the information in the correct location which it is when I edit however the site changes everything.

Vintageracer
12-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Would some of you that own a 1982 CHP Mustang post a picture of your door sticker or at a minimum post the date of production of your car and the last 6 VIN numbers of your car?

Were the 406 1982 CHP Mustangs batch built at one time? If so what month?

If the 406 CHP 1982 were not batch built but were built over several months, what month were the first cars built?

Thanks

mac88chp
12-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Not 100% sure about the initial '82 CHP cars but we do know that in general SSPs were not built in batches but were interspersed with regular models on the assembly line and were limited to a build of 15 per day. This was done because they were special order cars that required significant extra assembly time and Ford was concerned about bogging the whole Mustang line down if too many were scheduled in a single day.

Vintageracer
12-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I looked over at the VIN registry on .org. This listing shows that the VIN's for 82 CHP cars were in the 200,000+ area and were all consecutive VIN numbers.

I understand the 406 CHP cars were made starting in June 1982. I would like to see a door tag from one of those cars to confirm the build date.

predator20
12-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I looked over at the VIN registry on .org. This listing shows that the VIN's for 82 CHP cars were in the 200,000+ area and were all consecutive VIN numbers.

I understand the 406 CHP cars were made starting in June 1982. I would like to see a door tag from one of those cars to confirm the build date.

06/82 I'm also thinking about moving this thread to the '82-'86 section. Since it's sold.

ImEvil1
12-08-2008, 08:49 PM
What Brian said. :)

Vintageracer
12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the posting of the dates and door stickers.

Feel free to move this thread as you see fit.

Thanks for everyone's help and input!

Kevin
12-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Here is the door tag off of my 82 CHP Hatchback. As you can see, it was built in 7/82 and had a later DSO.

The build sheet for the hatchback is virtually identical to the notchback SSP's I've had, including the speedometer. About the only noticeable difference was the spring identification, probably due to the difference in weight of a hatchback.

http://images45.fotki.com/v1310/photos/6/670497/3341429/PC080050-vi.jpg

Vintageracer
03-25-2009, 10:26 AM
UPDATE!

I have been researching the history of CHP unit #1963car. The CHP began testing/evaluation of this Mustang in January 1982 at the CHP Academy. Testing continued into February up to the time of the CHP bid/contract letting for the ordering of cars for the CHP

I have found and spoken with Emil Loeffler who was the director of the Mustang Police car program for Ford in 1981/82. He has been very helpful with information and history of the car and the Mustang Police car program. I have also located and spoken with Jay Emery. Jay was the program leader for the new CHP Mustang evaluation project and also director of CHP Motor Transport at the time. Jay confirms that the original 82 proto-type Mustang, unit #1963, was converted by the CHP after the end of the testing and evaluation program into the first EVOC Mustang for use at the CHP academy.

Jay tells me that the famous "Mustang Chases Porsche's for a living" was originally billed as "This Mustang Catches Porsche's for a living". The ad copy in the ad was changed to the ad we all have seen when Porsche AG said "prove it" that a Mustang can catch a Porsche! He further states that the 82 CHP Mustang featured in that specific ad was the first production CHP patrol Mustang they received from the June 1982 Ford production run of cars. This car received the first license plate/unit number for the 406 production patrol Mustangs. So if any of you out there have this unit number car, you have the first in service Mustang of the June 1982 production run of CHP Mustangs and the actual car featured in the ad.

According to the Jay, the rear bracket shown on unit #1963 in one of the early pictures was used to mount a "gun" that would shoot a mark on the pavement the instant the brakes were applied. They would then measure the braking distance from that point to where the car stopped to provide brake test information. Jay further also said that #1963 was passed around for everyone to drive and evaluate like hooker at the Mustang Ranch. He said the car was rode hard! He further states that all sorts of politicians, celebrities and like were driven in this car. The car was hauled, driven and shown all over the state of California in the Spring of 1982.

I have spoken with David Storer, Michigan State Highway Patrol retired, who was the founder, devloper and head of the Michigan State Highway Patol Car test program from 1976 to his retirement. He confirms the MSHP did test an 82 Mustang specifically for the CHP. Jay also confirms this test for the CHP by the MSHP did occur. Jay said he remembers that since Ford technically owned #1963, he remembers that is the car that was sent to Michigan for the MSHP test and then returned to the CHP in California. He said that Ford did a lot of testing with the car on the CHP's behalf and would do most anything that was requested. The fact that this car was also the actual car tested by the MSHP is not confirmed but is what Jay Emery stated he remembers. David Storer remembers testing the Mustang and is trying to find a copy of the 1982 test for me. He says that he doubts there is any specific reference to the VIN of the car that was tested since that was not one of the data points but says the report may be different since it was specifically performed for the CHP and Ford.

It is VERY intersting talking to these people about this car in specific and the history of the car and the Mustang Police car program in general. I have learned about how different upgrades to the Mustang were tested on early Mustangs and ultimately made it into the SSP package.

I look forward to seeing you all in Birmingham. I will be showing both the the 82 and 92 EVOC cars.

Have a great day!

stadair
03-25-2009, 04:26 PM
So...were the Mustangs able to catch a Porsche?

chp1982
03-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Great story. Has anyone you have spoken with said anything about information on the other 406 cars? Anything would be useful.

jarhed123
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
CHP 401 was just on ebay a week or two ago.

ImEvil1
03-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Here is the door tag off of my 82 CHP Hatchback. As you can see, it was built in 7/82 and had a later DSO.

The build sheet for the hatchback is virtually identical to the notchback SSP's I've had, including the speedometer. About the only noticeable difference was the spring identification, probably due to the difference in weight of a hatchback.

Kevin,

I missed your post. I'm glad to see your car has a 6 digit DSO. Can you post up the build sheet?

ImEvil1
03-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Mike,

Great info, and +1 on what Jonathan has said. Any other info for the rest of us would be outstanding.

Also, were they able to provide VIN confirmation for you? If so, great news.

Vintageracer
03-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Mike,

Great info, and +1 on what Jonathan has said. Any other info for the rest of us would be outstanding.

Also, were they able to provide VIN confirmation for you? If so, great news.

YES!