PDA

View Full Version : For Marcos.......... and the new guy w/the 85/CHP.SSP

Andy
11-18-2008, 06:49 PM
http://i36.tinypic.com/6pn9j8.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/ozsc9.jpg
and then in between
http://i37.tinypic.com/14nmz2o.jpg
Sorry Marcos...... I do not have a photo post account.
Just get out the sander. like Wax on Wax off ....it's
Paint on ...........now paint off

jarhed123
11-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Thank you for the pictures Andy. I can't wait to have mine looking as good.

28HopUp
11-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures Andy. I took my SSP to get a paint quote today. With having them replace the front fender, me supplying the body molding & weatherstripping, and them painting the jams and supplemental body work for a new color (most likely back to the original black), the total was $3700. That was about what I was expecting, and it's a shop I trust.

Thanks again for the pics.

jarhed123
11-18-2008, 10:32 PM
...(most likely back to the original black), the total was $3700.
Are you painting only black or black and white?

28HopUp
11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Are you painting only black or black and white?

I've spoken with Andy about his black & white. For me, I don't think I would enjoy this car as much if I returned it to its in-service configuration. It seems like those cars are limited in how the car can be used. I had a show car once, a restored s-code (390) convertible 1967 Mustang, which we sold to Dover Downs as a slot machine grand prize. When we had, it, I was afraid to drive the darn thing. I was too anal about the little things about that car, and never wanted to drive and enjoy it for fear of destroying its value. I also had a 1928 Model A at one time that I was the caretaker of (hence, my user name), and like my SSP it too was not entirely stock (it still had the original drivetrain). But as its caretaker, I made changes to the car that made it safer and more reliable. I sold that car to a restorer, who un-did the car's unique history to restore it to the way Henry built it. As nice as it is to know that the car was properly restored, it is still a bit sad to see its unique character erased.

With CHP #8395, I'd like to resto-modify it to its post-auction configuration. The car has been modified with larger brakes requiring the use of the 10-hole wheels. Although they are not correct for the car, I painted them in SSP fashion and think they look pretty good. I don't plan to make any significant changes to the car that would destroy its value, but conversely I don't see the need to return the car back to stock either. The car has character, and the changes made to it reflect the preferences of its past owners. Some things will get "un-done", but I'd rather honor the car's entire history, not just it's SSP history.

I may just repaint it a similar color that the CHP used before the auction, and leave the jams and other areas as the CHP painted it. That would save a bit of money that could be used to address some other areas of the car which are lacking. I've ordered quite a few interior pieces from FMR already, and picked up a set of decent 85/86 LX seats that I will recover. The goal is to make it a reliable unmarked Fox cop car with antennae, minus the police equipment inside. That may not please all of the hard-core restorers here, but it's my way of keeping this one SSP alive.

ImEvil1
11-19-2008, 05:25 PM
That may not please all of the hard-core restorers here, but it's my way of keeping this one SSP alive.

I don't think you'll upset anyone here....you are saving the car, and that's what we're all about. You are also not making it into something it isn't, or throwing random equipment inside it and calling it a restored car, either.

IMHO, your plan is an excellent one for someone who doesn't want to go the full-resto route.

jarhed123
11-19-2008, 07:16 PM
I think you have a good idea. I too have been debating on the color scheme for mine. I have thought about all black with all equipment, lights, and antenna. For shows I could show it as an unmarked and still enjoy it as a driver. When I want to show it as a full resto, I could vehicle wrap the two doors and roof and put Magnetic decals. After the show I could take of the wrap and drive on. This is just one idea.

Another thought was to paint it black with only the roof in white and a third was to paint it black and white but no decals. I'm still looking at all options and playing with paint schemes on the computer prior to actually painting the car. This car is just too nice to not drive often.

mac88chp
11-19-2008, 08:47 PM
You both have good plans for cars that are going to be daily or occasional drivers. Not every SSP has to be restored to in-service level to be considered saved. Had I not received sanction from the CHP on my car, I was planning on restoring it as an occasional driver that would be almost exactly as the car was delivered to the CHP from Ford. The only difference would have been painting the doors black instead of white and installing a stock Ford radio where there was originally none with no equipment (spots, antenna, etc) installed whatsoever. Visually, there would be no mistaking what the car was with the aim being to keep it legal and hassle-free to drive as much as I wanted.

FHP#1357
12-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Thats why I left mine solid black from 98' when I bought it up untill last month.. I wanted to drive it with out the hassle when ever I wanted to. It still trophy'd though it was all black, I only drive it on the weekends and havent been 10-50'd yet, we'll see

28HopUp
12-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Thats why I left mine solid black from 98' when I bought it up untill last month.. I wanted to drive it with out the hassle when ever I wanted to. It still trophy'd though it was all black, I only drive it on the weekends and havent been 10-50'd yet, we'll see

Hearing that, it makes me reconsider painting my car another color. I was thinking of going with a different color gray, but black would be a safe choice in case I or a future owner wanted to return the car to in-service condition.

Andy
12-28-2008, 01:37 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/o5zwgm.jpg

28HopUp
12-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Lucky Day: Wherever there is injustice, you will find us.
Ned Nederlander: Wherever there is suffering, we'll be there.
Dusty Bottoms: Wherever liberty is threatened, you will find...
Lucky Day, Ned Nederlander, Dusty Bottoms: The Three Amigos!

jarhed123
12-28-2008, 05:01 PM
That is too funny!! Now I have my avatar until my car is complete. Thanks for the Laugh Andy.

Andy
12-29-2008, 12:51 AM
I am honored :yes: