PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Qs

ImEvil1
02-02-2007, 12:36 AM
I was looking through some of my old brochures and found something weird. Ford started offering the Lestek's between 1988-1989 (135 amp), but the '86-'88 brochures list a 65 amp alt for the SS Mustang (with a 75 amp version for automatic cars). The other Ford documentation I have shows a 70 amp version on any car ordered with a 5.0 (GT, LX, and the 4 cylinder SVOs). Has anyone noticed this? Anyone have any other documentation that says anything different?

Colt 45
09-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Having had alt. issuses,Idid alot of checking with Ford dealers all over trying to find a130 amp alt. for my 90 SSP.They all told me my alt. came with 2 windings,65&70 and that Ford didnt star with the 130 amp until 93 or 94.(LesTechs excluded)No big news there that You Probably didnt alresdy know. Having heard pros and cons about underdrive pulleys,had to see for myself. Loved the way it freed up power,never could adjust to the charging aspect of them,so I replaced my stock alt. pulley. That only made alittle diff.,so I replaced the oter 2 back to stock. Maybe its just me but it dont seem like its charging right so I put agood charge on the batery, under load it barely holds its on ,any sugestions? Realy kinda dont want to change to the3Q.

ImEvil1
09-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Ford started using the 130amp alternators in 1992 (it was an option). My '93 FHP car has one. Nodrama bought one for a resto awhile back from a vendor who claimed it was SSP-specific. He figured out it wasn't the correct alternator after he received it (it showed up with the part number ground off), but it was identical to the earlier, correct one (minus the PN). I think he tracked down the PN and it was still available from Ford. I'd try to get the PN from him and pick one of them up (I think it was around $150, brand new).

NoDrama43
09-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I purchased a 130 amp alt from a vendor that said it was NOS and the correct 'ssp specific" alternator for my 92 chp car. I paid huge bucks for the thing and when it got here I had to take it down to a machine shop, along with the "actual correct ssp specific original" alt off my 92 FHP car, to have it put on a c-n-c machine to get it machined properly so it would line up with the original bracketry on the engine. This alternator did not have a ford part number on it, and when I researched it through my ford dealer it turned out it was a bronco replacement alt. total BS to say the least.

the item that had the part number ground off when it arrived was the larger 130 amp alternator bracket that has the 7 inch bolt hole spacing. again I paid big bucks for the thing and when it arrived the part number was ground off.

needless to say I don't buy any more stuff from this particular vendor.

ImEvil1
09-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I forgot about the machining part....not sure what the differences are between the stock, '90 bracket and the '92-'93 upgrade. Think he could get one and machine it down like you did? Still have the part number?

FHP0665
11-09-2007, 06:14 PM
I was looking through some of my old brochures and found something weird.

I know I have a Lestek 135A on my '88.5 as I've had to have it rebuilt about 3 times now. Was told I couldn't buy a replacement and rebuilding was my only option the first time it went out. What brochures list the info?

ImEvil1
11-09-2007, 07:32 PM
http://www.specialservicemustang.net/Brochures.html

I think that the '89 is the first brochure that listed the option, but we know it was available in 1988.

FHP0665
11-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Well that sux's they would use the LTD for the cover pic on the '88 model :(

I feel lucky now I still have the origional owners/service manual that was left in the glove box. Also contains manuals and warranty from Goodyear for the tires and a few other things.

Mustang Matt
11-16-2007, 11:07 PM
My 93 has the 130 amp and I have a buddy with the Lestek in his early 89.

I could not find a Ford replacement for my 130 and had it rebuilt with the guts from another 130Amp (bought at a swap meet) when it grenaded.

And I am pretty sure I know that vendor.. shame.

1992b4c
11-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Click on the link, 2nd one down. Says 1995, but isnt this the same as the 130 amp in 1993?

http://www.drivewire.com/fordparts/catalog/fordmustangalternator.html