PDA

View Full Version : bracket mounting question

stubes
12-31-2008, 12:01 AM
ok, i got the correct brackets to mount my x band mph antennas front and rear...they even fit into the indentations of where the originals were at perfect....
my question is what kind of screw to i use to mount them?
sheetmetal? recc length?

i know i still have to drill a second hole in each bracket, first holes line up perfect.

ImEvil1
12-31-2008, 12:15 AM
I use small threaded bolts, with plastic backing and nuts. I'd say stay away from sheet metal screws...you definitely don't want to punch through the roof or anything else important, either.

I mounted all of my front and rear LEDs in my G-ride this way and haven't had any issues.

stubes
12-31-2008, 12:20 AM
any pics of what you use mike?

i am not sure how i could get acces in there to mount what you are describing. it looks like NSP just used regular screws, but i don't want them to be too long and screw my roof up

ImEvil1
12-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Just happened to have some extra stuff in the garage, so here you go, Russ.

The plastic pieces (brown) are just parts dividers that the guys at our shop gave me to use for this (the small strips are scrap). I cut them with my Dremel, depending on the size of whatever I'm mounting, and then drill them out, using the bracket as a template. The hardware is just a few leftovers, minus washers, and these are a little long. I used up the shorter ones. Just keep in mind that I used these for a Whelen Slimlighter and some Sho-Me LEDs...they aren't very heavy. I can't remember if there's a metal lip in the Mustangs like there is in the Crown Vic, but you might have to go that route if your antenna is heavy.

stubes
12-31-2008, 12:35 AM
thats what i thought you were using. i think it will be too tight to try and gain access up into the headliner to put those nuts in.

i already have the original mounting holes drilled in my car, may go to a junkyard to measure how much room is behind my existing holes from a car with no headliner to put screws in?

ImEvil1
12-31-2008, 12:40 AM
It may look too tight, but you can do it. Pull the trim off, then pull the headliner down a little, and you're there. You can also take a look and see what's behind it (if anything). I'm sure that they didn't just use sheetmetal screws through the headliner.

stubes
01-01-2009, 03:47 PM
i ended up using sheet metal screws.
i used the same length as the sunvisor mounting screws which are right next to the mounting areas, so i figured with them i'd be safe.

everything looks great-car now has both working and calibrated front and rear antennas back in the original locations that NSP had them.

ImEvil1
01-01-2009, 03:53 PM
i ended up using sheet metal screws.

Glad you got them taken care of.

Did the screws bite into anything except the headliner?

stubes
01-01-2009, 04:02 PM
they went right up into the metal strip above the headliner that the sunvisor also mounts to on both sides.

My car had the holes already in the headliner and sheetmetal above it along with indentations where the brackets were at in the headliner.

I used the same brackets-everything matched up perfect.

ImEvil1
01-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Got it. I couldn't remember if it was there or how much was there to try and hit.

Did you happen to take any pics?

stubes
01-01-2009, 05:08 PM
i'll post some tonight!

ImEvil1
01-01-2009, 05:54 PM
i'll post some tonight!

Good deal, thanks. That'll help us out for next time.

stubes
01-01-2009, 08:28 PM
pics of finished product...the mark on my sunvisor clip is from me. its from the other bracket i was using for the antenna. it was only on for a month, so hopefully it comes out with time.

regarding the rear antenna, there is a toggle switch on it to go from "T" or "C".....i assume that is for town or country settings?

ImEvil1
01-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Looks great.