PDA

View Full Version : How do you disassemble seat track?

stadair
01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I picked up a full set of seat tracks today. Both driver and passenger seat tracks. They have a bit of rust on them, but otherwise look good. I would like to disassemble them so that I may take care of the rust and then repaint them. How do you disassemble the seat track? I'm looking in between where the top meets the bottom, I see the rollers and in front of each roller is a, for lack of a better word, clip or retainer. I think that I need to get that retainer out of the way to slide the track apart. But how do I go about doing that?

WSP-SSP
01-12-2009, 10:43 PM
i dont think they separate, pretty sure they are spot welded together, if they are not too rusty, just soak em good with some liquid wrench and then degrease them for fresh paint, either way, no one can see them when the seats are in the car

stadair
01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
i dont think they separate, pretty sure they are spot welded together, if they are not too rusty, just soak em good with some liquid wrench and then degrease them for fresh paint, either way, no one can see them when the seats are in the car

Yeah, that is what I'm thinking of doing if I can't take them apart. I'll be soaking them in Evapo-Rust.

But that little retainer, one on each end is sitting in there loosly, so I thought that one could be removed and then I could slide the whole thing apart. Oh well. Like you said, you can't see them under the seats...