PDA

View Full Version : Radiator cap wanted

mustangretriever
01-19-2009, 11:12 AM
All the new Ford caps are round with a white sticker on them and I want the old style. Does anyone have a radiator cap like this one NOS or in like-new condition?

Thanks!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/mustangretriever/100_0108.jpg

mac88chp
01-19-2009, 02:38 PM
I could use one too if anybody knows a source.

svopaul
01-20-2009, 12:27 PM
They are hard to find NOS....I actually have I think 3. Very few people do concours restorations on the Fox cars but that number is increasing. I had a few of my regular customers doing Saleen/Cobra restorations that needed them so I sourced a few and put a couple in stock. They are VERY expensive....I hate to see it but it's that old supply/demand thing.....But just be glad you aren't looking for an SVO RH outer marker light!!! Those make the radiator cap's price look like pennies!

So there are a few around if you want to be correct but I'd recommend going a different route if you are not doing a concours restoration....but if you are going Concours then there are certain parts that will eat your budget up. Sadly until there is more attention brought on restoration of the Foxes by the major parts reproducers we don't have much other choice.

mustangretriever
01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Ok, I don't have to have NOS. Just one in decent condition would be fine with me. This same cap had to have been used on other Fords at the time, not just the Mustang.

svopaul
01-20-2009, 02:06 PM
The same cap was used on other Fords....but the reason for the rarity is that Ford's supplier changed the style of the cap....so that change matters for some but doesn't matter for someone just wanting "a replacement cap".

I'll dig around and see if I have any used ones around....I never bothered to seperate or catalog them because they are considered a consumable for the most part. Had I known years ago what I know know of course I would have stashed hundreds away in a box somewhere....lol.

mustangretriever
01-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I just want one that looks original. Like I said, the new Ford caps are all rounded with a big white label covering the whole thing.

stubes
01-20-2009, 06:05 PM
if you are not concerned about the script, you can buy a stant for $5 which looks identical to the correct style less the motorcraft script.
still beats a big white sticker.