PDA

View Full Version : Using CHP antennae for FM Radio?

28HopUp
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Since the CHP cars had the factory radio removed, they didn't have a radio antenna on the front passenger fender. I assume there was a block-off plate added to cover the hole?

My CHP will be a driver, but I plan to install the CHP original antennae (roof and whip). Can either of these be used for FM reception for an aftermarket in-dash radio?

TIA!

Vintageracer
02-18-2009, 04:04 PM
I do not know how bad the frequency difference would be on the roof antennae however you could remove any loads from the roof antennae if any and hope the antennae length is close to the 31 inchs that is proper for FM.

You can also buy very good hidden antennae's now. That's what a lot of street rodders use. Check out a street rod supplier.

mac88chp
02-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes, a plastic block off plate covered the regular antenna hole on the fender ans is still available I believe, at least in the aftermarket. I've got my scanner hooked up to the whip and it gets great reception.

w4ata
02-21-2009, 12:58 AM
The length is not that critical for a receive only application in most general coverage radios so it should work fine. If you were transmitting on it it would be a different story, you would have to have an antenna that matches the wave length of the frequency you were using. Some of the older car radios actually had a place on them to adjust the radio to the antenna but I don't know if the radios nowadays do.