PDA

View Full Version : Correct Wheel Code for 82 Steel Wheels

Vintageracer
02-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Can anyone tell me the correct code stamped in the wheels by the valve stem for 1982 wheels used on CHP cars?

I have found a set of wheels that looks correct per the pictures on the site tech area. The wheels at the junkyard have the code "WY" stamped by the valve stem. I can buy the set of 5 for $40. Are these correct for an 82 CHP car?

ImEvil1
03-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Mike,

Sory for the delay....been busy with work the past few weeks but I'm catching up a bit.

The one correct wheel I have at the house has an "H" stamped on it. I have the original, NOS spare in my '82, and another original spare that still has an OE Eagle GT on it in one of my '83s. Next time I'm out at storage I'll take a look at those for you (unless Jim Y or another pre-85 owner beats me to it).

The regular '82 Ford wheels in the plain style (P1) were 14 X 5. However, the Ford books show that the same style wheel in a P1 for Police/Taxi cars (Fairmont) were 14 X 5.5. The SSP wheels are definitely the 5.5, which show as standard on many Ford cars starting in 1983. The part number for the '82s is E0BZ-1007-B, which is the same one listed for regular Mustangs starting in '83, and the LTDs, Fairmonts, etc. The smaller, 14 X 5 wheel is D8BZ-1007-B, so there are definitely two different versions of the same wheel. I have a set of four of the smaller ones; there's a noticebale difference when they are on the car. Hope this helps.

Vintageracer
03-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the information and the help.

The set of wheels I purchased are 6 inches wide outer edge to outer edge. They are 5 1/2 inch wide inner bead to inner bead. They were removed from a 82-83? Mercury Zephyr. They are a matched set of 5 in superb condition. The original paint is even nice on the wheels with only tiny scratches from the installation of the original hubcaps.

The only stampings on the wheels are WY, the Ford script by on of the bolt holes and 28 by another bolt hole. There are no stamps on the back of the wheels or the inside of the wheels.

Thanks for the help!

NoDrama43
03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Mike,

If the wheels are 5.5 bead to bead you should be good to go.

Vintageracer
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the confirmation. They should look good on the 82.