PDA

View Full Version : Adding a spotlight

stadair
03-07-2009, 10:51 AM
As you regulars may remember, my '93 SSP did not ever have any spotlights, lights, antenna's or any other police equiptment installed. I've got a buddy who just picked up a 2001 P-71 and wants to get rid of the spotlight. I was thinking of installing it on my SSP, even though it did not have one, ever. I think that it would make it more SSP-like. As it sits now, you'd have to look inside to see that it is an SSP.

I'd like your opinion on doing this. There is no hole in the A-pillar, so I'd have to drill one. Would I be ruining my car by installing a spotlight?

P.S. No, I still have not found out what my car ever was.

FlyinTiger
03-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Before you start drilling holes in your car, you better check the fitment of the CVPI spotlight. Likely that it's not going to fit.

IMHO, I would not put holes in your car to make it look more ssp. What you have may be an unmarked, which is equally as special. My '93 never had a spotlight, and sure I wish it had at times. But, if FHP did not put one, I am not about to be the one to put another hole in the car. Especially, one that weakens the structure in a rollover. :No no:

stubes
03-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Before you start drilling holes in your car, you better check the fitment of the CVPI spotlight. Likely that it's not going to fit.

IMHO, I would not put holes in your car to make it look more ssp. What you have may be an unmarked, which is equally as special. My '93 never had a spotlight, and sure I wish it had at times. But, if FHP did not put one, I am not about to be the one to put another hole in the car. Especially, one that weakens the structure in a rollover. :No no:

i am sure if you do some looking, you'll discover that your 93 had spots on both sides of it at one time-done by a former owner......not the fhp

YellowMurci
03-07-2009, 11:32 AM
spotlights are cool! I would do it!

texunter
03-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't drill anything that wasnt there. If I were you, I'd sell it and buy a marked car. Someone wants your unmarked just the way it is. Don't butcher it.

FlyinTiger
03-07-2009, 11:51 AM
i am sure if you do some looking, you'll discover that your 93 had spots on both sides of it at one time-done by a former owner......not the fhp

Guess I'll have to pull the pillar trim at some point and start doing more research. :headscratch:

ImEvil1
03-07-2009, 12:06 PM

Here you go.

http://www.sspmustang.org/images/2_ssps_at_orlando_show_2002.jpg

FlyinTiger
03-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks Russ and Mike. I have a lot of history to uncover. I emailed the owner that bought it at auction to see if he had any pics of how it left FHP and what really is "correct." The more old pics the better.

And, Toshi, a glimpse of what your car would look like with spots. :)

ImEvil1
03-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Here is a pic shortly after he bought it (no spots, incorrect front light):

http://www.sspmustang.org/images/Mikes_SSP_on_Track.JPG

I saw many of the later unmarked cars sell at the auctions and the only one I remember seeing with a spotlight was a black unmarked car that Mark LaMaskin from PerformanceAutosport bought.

ImEvil1
03-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Toshi,

I thought I responded to your post, but I don't see it. ;)

The CV spots are a little different, and they mounted through the door on the new bodystyle, not the pillar.

You can find spotlights on eBay to use that would be more correct, or can be made to be more correct.

It's your car...so my vote is to do what makes you happy.

stubes
03-07-2009, 04:03 PM
donny,
just to be clear with the car, if you are going for authentic inservice condition the car never had spotlights from the fhp, they were added after it was auctioned off.

russ

FlyinTiger
03-07-2009, 04:23 PM
That's the direction that I was headed. As you and Mike mentioned, most of the unmarked pics show no spotlight. The only unmarked with a spotlight that I can remember was Brett's Calypso, and that is if my memory is good. I needed to make up my mind before I start prepping for paint in a little while. Sorry for stealing your thread, Toshi.

stadair
03-07-2009, 04:58 PM
No problem Donny.

I will just leave my car as is. No drilling any holes. Thanks for your thoughts guys.

fallon312
03-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I would not cut a hole in the A pillar if you are not 100% sure you do not have a CHP commercial enforcement car. In the 1991 September issue of Mustang and Fords page 6 there is a picture of white CHP commercial enforcement unit. It did not have a whip antenna and no spot lights. It even had the shot gun lower so it would not be detected. No graphics except on the doors. Not even the trunk had anything. Please make sure you do not have a rare car before you start cutting. IMO

MOstang
03-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I agree with most of what has been shared...if you don't think it had a spotlight I would add but just my 2 cents.