PDA

View Full Version : Decal Application

Unmrkd
07-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Looking for expertise/tips/past technical experience for installing decals. I will be approaching the task for my '89 SCHP in the not too distant future and really don't want to mess up applying them. They are very good quality "Avory" decals and this will be a one time shot. Any constructive suggestions are most welcome, thanks.

NoDrama43
07-22-2009, 07:16 PM
L O T S !!! of warm soapy water.

Get the car all wet, then dunk the entire decal in the bucket.

Peel it and stick it on the car. With all the water and soap it will slide around.

Get it where you want it, then take a bondo applicator, or drivers license, or credit card and slowly and carefully squeegee the water out from under the decal. I start in the middle and work my way out. I have done it lots of times. If you keep it good and wet to begin with you can get them right where you want them.

1988Bullitt
07-23-2009, 01:19 PM
When I put the decals on the Alabama car I looked at all of the different “application liquids” and what everyone recommended for soap to water ratios.

I found that a couple drops of liquid dish soap in a quart size spray bottle worked well. Or about 1tsb dish soap to 1 gallon purified water.

I washed the car with dishsoap first (usually I use a less harsh carwash soap) then wiped the panel down with alcohol. I sprayed it heavily with my water/soap mix. Then removed half of the backing on the decal, sprayed it and applied it to the car, working the other half of the backing off. With both surfaces wet it won’t bunch up and most of the air bubbles will work themselves out.

To get the water out from behind the decal, along with any air bubbles I used a plastic spreader with a micro fiber cloth over it to make sure the decal did not get scratched, yours may have transfer film, mine from MSquad did not.

I also had in-service pictures taped to the car to help me locate it on the car. I taped everything out with blue painters tape and measured everything twice. It really was not hard at all and I am very happy with the results.

Unmrkd
07-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the info folks.:thumbsup: