PDA

View Full Version : My first legal headache - Need advice or legal help

YellowMurci
07-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Does anyone know the laws in New York - (I am in NYC) with owning an FHP car? I am obviously not driving it on the road and just have it for display - I had a an FHP Plate made from the Platemeister and the officers went nuts cause the plate was not for the car and I was told to remove it - he also said some other things which did not make sense - I tried to google the laws but did not have much luck - any help you guys can give me would be great - I have a fully marked B4C with Lightbar

I would also like to get some magnets to go over my decals and a "out of service" for the lightbar it is a Whelen LFL lightbar - I currently have the car out of sight becuase this whole issue came up 2 days ago with the NYPD and am waiting for it to blow over - thank you inadvance as always for all your guys help!

FHP813
07-25-2009, 02:49 PM
In New York state, it is illegal to "affix" (display) a blue light to any vehicle unless that person is a volunteer firefighter.

I'm not sure of the license plate statute but I can probably find out.

Keep everything covered bottom line unless it's in your garage or at a show. The Camaro's doors are fiberglass so you're going to have to figure out how to cover them without magnets.

28HopUp
07-25-2009, 05:04 PM
In New York state, it is illegal to "affix" (display) a blue light to any vehicle unless that person is a volunteer firefighter.

I'm not sure of the license plate statute but I can probably find out.

Keep everything covered bottom line unless it's in your garage or at a show. The Camaro's doors are fiberglass so you're going to have to figure out how to cover them without magnets.

I wasn't aware of that. Looks like blue painters tape would be another possibility for him. I agree though - keep everything covered up and you should be OK. Did they give you a ticket?

YellowMurci
07-25-2009, 05:55 PM
No just a stern warning - but my whole point was to have it displayed at shows and in front of my shop - Where do i get those not in service lightbar caovers for a whelen lfl anyway?

Anyone know where I can find out what the laws are? If the car is for show display does the bluelight law come into effect?

FHP813
07-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Galls has those covers you could also try ebay. I would think you're ok at a show but if it's in the street or on a driveway it is subject to scrutiny.