PDA

View Full Version : why this hobby is so enjoyable !!

NoDrama43
02-23-2007, 05:24 PM
i did a little research on the 89 Michigan car this week. The guy I bought it from gave me the name of the guy he bought it from so..... I did a google search and there he was.....a candidate for Michigan state representative, (he lost), so I talk to this guy and he says..."yeh I know the guy who bought that car from the state auction, you want his number"? So I call THAT guy who unfortunatly about 2 months ago threw out the sale paperwork etc. for my car (which sucks) ......... however today in the mail, arrived pictures he had taken of the car, and a nice letter documenting the day he bought it, how much he paid, the miles etc. There is also a list of maintainence items he performed during the 12 1/2 years he owned the car. He also sent me an auction flyer from the state in 1995 with a picture of a 92 that was up for sale. :)

by the way the auction price for my car when it sold on 11/21/92 was 4420.00 including state sales tax and the car had 60,000 miles.

NoDrama43
02-23-2007, 05:46 PM
so i bought the 2nd 1984 car last october, (the car with the consecutive vin to mine). I finally had it delivered and it arrived yesterday. Naturally no buildsheet to be found even though it appears the car has never had the carpet, or rear sail panels out of the car. Well the cert speedo is missing so I resort to research mode again. I call the guy I bought it from and get the email address from the guy he bought it from, contact that guy and he gives me the name and phone number of the guy that has THE cluster in a car that is currently listed on craigs list in Olympia WA. So I call that guy and he agreed to removing the cluster and shipping it to me first of the week. I had to send him a replacement gt cluster I had in the shop and include some $$ but I am getting the correct original cluster with the correct mileage range to put back to put in the car. Along the way I am asking other questions of the previous owners and I am hearing this car was an unmarked supv car for OSP. I need to keep going back in time to try and verify that info. I have the interior stripped out of it though and it appears to have had only one antenna in the right rear quarter by the deck lid, no spotlights, police radio mounted in the enlarged factory stero hole, no holes ever in the roof, one microphone attached to the console delete bezel, one power wire ran to the passenger sunvisor area and mounting holes for some sort of light i imagine. The car was not equipped with a rollbar. The best part about the car is the options. tilt wheel, cruise, charcoal interior, manual windows and locks, one key locking, ac, no rear defrost, and best of all the paint code is 5C which is Dark Academy Blue metallic. The car still has the original trans, and rear end complete with tags and other than underneath the deck lid this car is rust free. The driver door has been changed and the drivers side fender has been replaced. The roof is damaged and the hood is a replacement but over all the car will restore very nicely. I am psyched about the dark blue paint !! :)

ImEvil1
02-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Naturally no buildsheet to be found even though it appears the car has never had the carpet, or rear sail panels out of the car.

I told you...you should have shipped it to me first. I would have found the buildsheet for you. :)

Good stuff, and sorry about the build. Just goes to show that you never know what you are going to get when you start digging, though.

SSPGARY
02-23-2007, 08:49 PM
I also enjoy researching the past history of the cars. According to Carfax, my 86 UHP car was in service til 1994 ( or at least no title transfer til then ). It was in an accident on June 24 1993 according to Carfax, and I also have the UHP accident report #. I contacted the UHP about the car and they said they will send me an information package in the mail with some history of the car along with the unit #. Hopefully they will try to do there best!

NoDrama43
02-23-2007, 09:12 PM
wow....very rare for a state agency to hand out info. that is great.

here is the blue I was talking about...

mustangretriever
02-23-2007, 09:52 PM
wow....very rare for a state agency to hand out info.

Missouri is very good about giving out paperwork. I've gotten acquinted with the guy who is in charge of their garage, nice guy who's been very helpful too.