PDA

View Full Version : CHP decals....group purchase???

NoDrama43
08-15-2009, 08:10 PM
As many of you know the reproduction door decals available to us are not the correct color, and not made the same way, with the clear vinyl 1/4 inch edge around the decal. You can spot a set of of the fakes a hundred feet away. These vendors selling the stuff also want nearly 300.00 a set now which is ridiculous.

I have been working on a project of late, trying to find a graphics vendor with the correct equipment to properly replicate the original Vitachrome CHP door decals. I have a set of original Vitachrome door sets and I have finally found a vendor with the correct equipment to do the work. This vendor has one of my decals and has been doing some R&D to color match and get the thing right. They called me yesterday and told me they can do it, and they said I won't be able to tell the difference between their product or the Vitachrome product. The worst part of all this is the cost to build the artwork, and the cost of the material.

I need to know if anyone is interested in a set of "correct" decals. If I get enough interest I will probably give them the go ahead to make them for us. I am expecting the first sets will cost approximatly 150.00 a set.

A set is :

2 "door seals"
2 "Highway" decals
2 "Patrol" decals

These decals CAN NOT be sold on Ebay, so please do not ask for decals if you just want to sell them. The vendor making these has asked for my assurance that he will not catch flack from CHP over them. I told him they are for car enthusiasts only.

I want to look at the test decal they are making for me and I will post up pics of it next to the original. I have told the guy that if they are not 99.9% correct, I will not want them. After the first batch is run, the price should drop, maybe as low as 100.00 a set.

Let me know if you are interested and how many sets you would want.

CHP8336
08-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Count my in for one set Jim. Please see if they can make the correct "HIGHWAY PATROL" decals for the trunk also..........Sent PM

SparkSVT
08-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Jim

I have a set that were made by MSquad. Are you familiar with them? Are my decals different in appearance than the originals? I was told M Squads are pretty accurate. I did have them put on professionally by the shop that does our cars at work. He was less than impressed with the decals saying that they would fade or deteriorate if they were used on an in service car. He did say they would probably be "ok" for my car being that it is stored in a garage and only outside for shows ect. If your guys decals are better than what I have on mine, then yes Im in for a set as well. Im just not looking to waste money if they are not any different than what I have allready. Here are some pis of my car for reference.

Let me know and thanks..

Chris

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/SparkSVT/CHP5305b-1.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/SparkSVT/5-11-2009005.jpg

SparkSVT
08-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I did notice on my car that the stars on the door are a lighter color than the words HIGHWAY PATROL above them.

ImEvil1
08-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Nice job, Jim. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Chris,

Your decals might be close, but the process Vitachrome uses cannot be done by most print shops. The decals are printed on clear material, in reverse, and there's a metallic element to the lettering.

If the ones Jim are doing come out like the vendor promises, they will makes lots of people happy.

28HopUp
08-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Count me in for a set.

sspanthony
08-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Count me in for a set Jim.....

28HopUp
08-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Can they replicate the "HIGHWAY" "PATROL" for the trunklid too?

chp1982
08-16-2009, 11:14 AM
One set for me as well. Thank you for doing the leg work on this.

NoDrama43
08-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I will post up a picture of the vita Chrome decals so that you guys can see what I am talking about.

Chris,

the M squad stuff is the wrong color, both the star and the Highway Patrol decals. The Vita Chrome "Highway patrol" door decals are one decal with the color printed on clear vinyl. They have a distinct metalflake to them also. The color matching process is the hardest thing to build. (so says this vendor anyway).

are your M-squad letters all separate like the Highway patrol decal on the trunk lid? If so it is incorrect. don't get me wrong, it is better than no decals at all but the M-Squad stuff I have seen is not even close. I realize they are about the only thing out there but hopefully this stuff will be better.

I am off monday and tuesday , I will try to get some good pictures up.

ImEvil1
08-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Vitachrome pics are in the CHP Resto section. Here's one of the one-piece lettering:
http://www.specialservicemustang.net/images/chpdecals1.jpg

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/images/chpdecals1.jpg

NoDrama43
08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
everything you see in white is the backing on the decal. The decal is a clear vinyl that is one piece with the letters printed on the clear vinyl.

NoDrama43
08-16-2009, 09:15 PM
here is the VitaChrome door decal. The white edge you see around the seal is the backing. Where you see the white is actually the 1/4 inch of clear vinyl all the way around the edge of the decal.

mac88chp
08-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Jim - I'd be interested in one set.

jarhed123
08-27-2009, 11:38 PM
I will get a set. I am planning on keeping my VitaChome decals for when I permanently decal the car. I need a set to just put on magnets for now.

NoDrama43
08-28-2009, 04:58 PM
still waiting to hear back from them. I will give them a call Monday and see where we are. I am headed to Albaquerque NM for training next week so i will be out in the desert all week. Headed to Houston after that to let Evil buy me a steak and a beer :thumbsup: then back here on the 6th. I will keep on it.

1jerryl
08-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Jim,

Count me in for a set too please....

Jerry
91 X-CHP

smokin5.0
08-30-2009, 02:20 PM
I would be interested in a set as well.

28HopUp
09-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Jim, have there been any developments on this project? Hope you're feeling better now after your accident.

NoDrama43
09-25-2009, 02:42 PM
I went over last week and inspected the first set of proofs. I was not happy with them. The are still working on a better color match. I should know something in another week or so.

sspanthony
10-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Jim, do you have any updates for us on the decals ?

NoDrama43
10-16-2009, 10:11 PM
it isn't going well. I don't think it is going to happen. I am calling them Monday and if they don't have anything for me I am going to go get my original decal from them. They made plenty of promises and so far I have not seen anything....

NoDrama43
10-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Sorry to get everyones hopes up but I told the company today to discontinue the process. They made plenty of promises but today the graphics engineer slipped and told me they were not using the same process as vitachrome. The way he was trying to build the decal was not going to be correct so i told them to disregard all.

the search continues......

28HopUp
10-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks for trying Jim!

CHP8336
10-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks for trying Jim!

Thanks Jim.

smokin5.0
10-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Stupid question.....but anyway that we could convince Vitachrome to do some for us....I am assuming that someone has already tried.

ImEvil1
10-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Stupid question.....but anyway that we could convince Vitachrome to do some for us....I am assuming that someone has already tried.

Thanks for the efforts, Jim.

Vitachrome has hundreds of them sitting on the shelves. They will not sell them unless you have a letter from CHP.

John10608
01-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Some of you know that I have been working over a year or so now at getting CHP door decals remade the correct way.
I spent endless hours recreating the file for these decals. HOURS spent on just the State seal inside the star.

I found a company that does that type of screening. Infact, the owner laughed when I showed him a sample of an original Viatchrome set.
He told me that he probably screened those decals at some point in time.
He has been doing this for over 40 years now.

He told me Vitachrome subbed the work out, that there are only a few companies out there that do this type of printing.
How lucky was I to find this guy ???

Well, I received them a week ago. They are exact. Couldn't be any more perfect than originals. Backing paper is not cut to the shape of the star as you can see, but it gets thrown away anyway.
I could not see paying extra just for them to die cut the backing paper.
They were not cheap to have printed as it was.

My wish was to try to get the pricing around $175.00 a set, but wasn't going to happen.
I also had the " Safety and Service " decals made in the clear rectangle for those that want them.
Complete set for one car including Safety and Service $220.00 plus shipping.

If you are wanting a set, I am going to require proof that you have a car these are going on before selling them to anyone.
I am not selling them to just anyone that wants them, I want to make sure they are going on a restored CHP vehicle first.

I have 25 sets available. PM or email if interested.
Send an email address, I'll try to get better pics to you.

Again, the only difference is the backing paper. The color is exact, file is exact as I duplicated an original set.
You will not be able to tell the difference from a Vitachrome decal.
John

Va 5.0
01-11-2014, 07:46 PM
John,

I sent you an email. Count me in for a set.

28HopUp
01-12-2014, 10:18 AM
I will need a set of door decals for my SMPV, so count me in! :)

ImEvil1
01-12-2014, 10:45 AM
John,

Thanks for all of your hard work on this. These will make alot of guys really happy.

John10608
01-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Thank you, and you are welcome Mike.

I was frustrated myself trying to find original sets. And now, I don't think there are hardly any originals left out there at all.

I have been told that the few remaining original CHP decals that Vitachrome did have, have been destroyed. Sad to hear that.

It feels good to know that there is one item, an important one at that, available again.
It was a long road ! A lot of time spent, ( money too lol ) but well worth it !

chp1982
01-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks for taking the lead on this project. Is there a shelf life for a set of decals? I would kick myself for missing out on a set but I am a ways away from marking my car. I'm a decent way off from finding a couple hundred bucks too!

John10608
01-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Well, as it is going, these won't be on the shelf much at all lol
I can always have more made.
I obtained some lettering only, no star, that had been on the shelf for who knows how many years, plus the original decals I obtained for my car had been on a shelf until I received them and they went on like brand new.

These are original Vitachrome decals. The only issue is if the decal itself gets lifted from the backing paper, dirt, hair or dust gets between the two and the adhesive is not sticky any longer.
That's the only issue I have ever seen with these.
Also, if they get bent or folded. Bad news there too.

My suggestion would be to leave them in the flat box I ship them in and keep them flat on a " shelf " until use.
They'll be like new for years after.

Basically the only difference in these decals and Vitachrome is, The backing paper ( white ) is not die cut to the shape of the star, and they do not have their stamp on the back of them.
The decal's themselves were printed and made exactly like the originals.
Any questions, please feel free to PM me, I'll send you my cell # to talk.
John

Va 5.0
01-16-2014, 07:20 AM
My CHP decals arrived yesterday. I paid on Sunday and they arrived within 3 days. The decals are really nice and the detail and color are awesome. Now I just have to get the 1987 CHP car painted.

Thanks John.

Rhino
01-16-2014, 01:21 PM
I plan on ordering a set as well. And they look very nice. Also cool that they guy who made them worked with vitachrome back in the day.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
02-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Well, as it is going, these won't be on the shelf much at all lol
I can always have more made.
I obtained some lettering only, no star, that had been on the shelf for who knows how many years, plus the original decals I obtained for my car had been on a shelf until I received them and they went on like brand new.

These are original Vitachrome decals. The only issue is if the decal itself gets lifted from the backing paper, dirt, hair or dust gets between the two and the adhesive is not sticky any longer.
That's the only issue I have ever seen with these.
Also, if they get bent or folded. Bad news there too.

My suggestion would be to leave them in the flat box I ship them in and keep them flat on a " shelf " until use.
They'll be like new for years after.

Basically the only difference in these decals and Vitachrome is, The backing paper ( white ) is not die cut to the shape of the star, and they do not have their stamp on the back of them.
The decal's themselves were printed and made exactly like the originals.
Any questions, please feel free to PM me, I'll send you my cell # to talk.
John

Thanks to John and his hard work to have these decals made and available to us enthusiasts and the hobby of restoring retired CHP cars. I was impressed with these decals and could not wait to get my hands on them. I compared these to an original set of orriginal Vitachrome "HIGHWAY PATROL" letters I currently have and WOW!... I could not tell any differnce between the both of them other than the backing paper which will end up in the garbage after application. Now I wont have to pick out the best and cleanest edged ones from the two sets I already had for the Mustang.
My 93 Mustang is on its way to the paint shop next week for about 4 weeks or so and she will be getting her true service colors back after all these years.Does any one have any recommendations on application of this type of decal. Do these decals get applied on a wet surface with solution "mild water/soap mixed solution" or just the dry surface application?
Once again, Thank You John for making a Dead End Road Open Again for us owners of retired/restored vehicles.

MOstang
02-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Nice...can't wait to see pics soon.

kapracing
02-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Check with a good Decal Shop because my Decal man told me he buys a solution that actually has some alcohol in it to help in the drying process. I do not recall if it has a specific name or not?

MOstang
02-12-2014, 08:36 AM
The sign shop I've used to install graphics on multiple SSPs has not used a solution when applying. I asked him about that during the last installation. His response was something to the effect that when you have placed as many graphics of large, medium, small sizes as he has it isn't necessary. If I understand at least part of the concept with the solution it allows you to move it and reposition during the install process. This shop is very meticulous positioning the graphics up front and he does a very small section at a time little by little working through the whole graphic. Others here may have different feedback to offer.

John10608
02-16-2014, 06:58 AM
Eric,
give me a call, I'll guide you through it. Do not use application fluid to apply the decals. Apply them dry. Use tape to hold them in place.
It's easy to do.

Just call when you are ready to apply the decals. I can send you down a gold squeege which you'll need also.
A local sign shop can help you. Find a good one that knows what they are doing, and have been around for a while.

But it's an easy process if you follow my instructions.

Can't wait to see the car painted !! Will it be done by Ripon this year ????
Or Vegas in April ?? lol

SSPCHPSTANG3101
02-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Thank John and everybody else for advise.. I spent a whole day last week removing all the CHP Equipment out and off the car before it goes to the pant shop. I will be delivering the car to my paint guy either today or tomorrow.the car will be gone for approximately 4 weeks or so and my work will cut out for me to get the car ready for the Morro Bay police and fire Show and the Fabulous Fords show both in April. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend that show but I will be at the Ripon Show for sure.

MaHa
03-05-2014, 04:33 AM
I have 25 sets available. PM or email if interested.
Send an email address, I'll try to get better pics to you.

John, you've got mail. :)

bosskraft.com
07-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Hi John, while I don't yet have a CHP SSP in my collection, I'm actively on the hunt and wondered if you had any sets left? If you do, I'd be happy to pay and ask you to hold one for me until I can show that I have an original car to place them on. Let me know, if you would.

1adam12
07-12-2015, 01:41 PM
did you have them make the rear trunk "highway patrol" decals?

John10608
07-12-2015, 11:55 PM
I have 9 or 10 CHP door decal sets left.
I can make you the reflective trunk decal.

The door decal sets come with the Safety and Service decals also.

PM me for more info if interested
Thanks
John