PDA

View Full Version : FHP HT radio question

w4ata
02-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Does anyone know which hand held FHP used around the 1989 period? I have been unable to get a good answer on what they actually did use, motorola HT90, HT440, MT500 or MT1000's. They were all in use with various agencies around that time, along with MX series and sabers but judging from the pictures of the converta coms it looks like it could have been any one of the 4 I've listed.

emerveh
02-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Guess what they all are the same vintage and could have been used. However I have seen the HT90 radios being used on some of the Real Stories programs. HT90 and 440 will use the same convertacom. However MT500 and MT1000 radios use their own individual ones.

ImEvil1
02-25-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm going with either the HT440 (my first choice) or HT600. I actually found a broken piece of one in my FHP car, and it's definitely the lighter-colored case. I worked with a bunch of the guys, also, and I remember the portables being that color (at least in my area).

Here is a website with some good pictures of old Motorola portables:
http://metrocommnj.tripod.com/id9.html

I'll look through some of the "Real Stories" footage to see if I can confirm it (should be easy since the antennas are on opposite sides).

w4ata
02-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Guess what they all are the same vintage and could have been used. However I have seen the HT90 radios being used on some of the Real Stories programs. HT90 and 440 will use the same convertacom. However MT500 and MT1000 radios use their own individual ones.

The HT90 had 2 channel capabilities where as the HT440 had 4 channel capabilities and since they were used for their pac-rt's I can't see why they would need 4 ch capability unless different troops used different freq's and it would be usefull for mutual aide. In an earlier conversation with Mike, we were leaning toward the HT90 also.

ImEvil1
02-25-2007, 03:00 PM
I just looked through a bunch of the FHP footage. The units in Miami were all using the 800 Mhz radios, and the only other one I found that was actually wearing a portable (lots of reenactments without them on) was definitely not a HT440 or 90....looked like an HT600. The radios were also used without the repeaters, so not sure about the 2 channel v/s 4 (or more). I'll ask the retired FHP guys that have been helping out.

w4ata
02-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I just looked through a bunch of the FHP footage. The units in Miami were all using the 800 Mhz radios, and the only other one I found that was actually wearing a portable (lots of reenactments without them on) was definitely not a HT440 or 90....looked like an HT600. The radios were also used without the repeaters, so not sure about the 2 channel v/s 4 (or more). I'll ask the retired FHP guys that have been helping out.

Thanks Mike, The HT600 came out right around the 89-90 time period so that is possible.

ImEvil1
02-25-2007, 03:37 PM
No prob...

I just found some footage from West Palm (1994) that shows what I think is an MT500 (definitely has the metal switches, antenna on the right side). I can't get this DVC90 deal to work with Vista, so I can't post up a screen capture right now of it.

w4ata
02-25-2007, 03:54 PM
No prob...

I just found some footage from West Palm (1994) that shows what I think is an MT500 (definitely has the metal switches, antenna on the right side). I can't get this DVC90 deal to work with Vista, so I can't post up a screen capture right now of it.

The MT500 was a tuff radio and is about the size of the opening on the converta coms I've seen. Very close in size to the HT90/HT440. I've got a vhf one here and they are readily available on ebay. I'm waiting on a call from another ret FHP trooper I know to see if he can shed some light on it.

ImEvil1
02-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Low-tech pic, but you can definitely see the metal buttons.

I don't think there were many convertacoms in use. I'm sure that they were more prevalent in some areas as opposed to others, but a good portion of the footage from FHP shows the Troopers wearing lapel mics. Most of the Troopers I ever worked with had lapel mics also, and I never saw any of the units in use in my area (1991-on). Most of the officers in S. FL I saw with the convertacoms didn't use them with lapel mics, as they were constantly off and on of their duty belts as they got in and out of their cars. I can't see them leaving the lapel mics attached and putting the radio across their body (or behind them) to charge.

I'll put a few calls in and see what new info I can come up with.

w4ata
02-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Mike, You're right about the lapel mikes not being popular with convertacom use as they were either on their belts or in the convertacom and a speaker mic would get in the way. I just got of the phone with a friend of mine and he said during that time they used the HT90 and not an MT500. He said to look for mounting holes under the glove box for the convertacom and that the two holes I have above the right knee under the speedometer bezel were where they mounted the Jss control. The control was set up for the left and right alley lights and the take down lights on the split rocker on the right with the rotors and flashers on the single rocker on the left with the center toggle as the front cut out. Got lots of info and possible other contacts.

ImEvil1
02-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Good info.....I have a used JSS box set up with that exact configuration (down to the correct switches, per the in-service pics).

I have seen 3 different radios while looking at the footage (I won't count the 800 MHz one, as it was S. FL only in 1994), so I'm beginning to think it could have been any of the ones we've already listed. :)

My '93 definitely did not have one...but the '85 may have. I've got a switch for the PAC for the '93, and I'll probably end up using the convertacom with the built-in switch on the '85 (especially if I can find evidence of it being mounted in there).