PDA

View Full Version : NCSHP Purged Mustang Documentation

MOstang
09-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Through RadioReference.com I was able to make contact with a former radio tech with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol. With his assistance I then made contact with an existing NCSHP radio tech who is nearing retirement and is a very historic minded gentleman. He has been, and continues to be, a wealth of information on a variety of matters related to my 90 NCSHP SSP. As a side note he bought one at auction and owned for a number of years before selling several years ago.

We had hoped to be able to track down additional documentation regarding my SSP's time in service using the Fixed Asset System (FAS) sticker, which was (and remains) affixed by the NCSHP to my SSP. However I've unfortunately learned that when the NCSHP went to a new vehicle accounting system in April 2000, any cars in "sold" status prior to that were purged when the new system went "live".

Because of this it appears any documents North Carolina had on their Mustang SSP's will most likely be impossible to come by from the NCSHP. I would be interested in hearing from anyone should you have had success through different means. Thank you.

NoDrama43
09-06-2009, 07:49 PM
unfortunatly this is usually the case when trying to find records from a state agency. The next best bet is trying to find out who actually drove the car and see if they can help any with equipment configuration or possibly old in service pictures. Every now and then an owner gets lucky that way.

good luck on your search.

MOstang
09-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Jim - Thanks for the suggestion. I think that's going to be my next step. See if I my contact can help with putting me in touch with any Troopers still in the NCSHP who had previously been assigned to a Mustang. Hopefully will be able to gather some additional info and perhaps photos too. Fortunately the radio engineer who has been helping me was very familiar with the correct equipment setup so I have that piece of the puzzle nailed down pretty solid.

Evidently the NCSHP assigns license plates on a seniority basis and the cars get a new plate every year for every car with few possible exceptions. That should make it a little trickier.

This is one of those times, like was fortunate enough with my old FHP, where I wish my car had been in an accident while still in-service. Unfortunately no such "luck" with having had that occur when the NCSHP still owned it.

SVOkip
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I know of quite a few troopers who had the SSPs back in the day. One of our Captains still has some pretty good ties with the hehad honchos and we've actually talked about the Mustangs some. As for license plates, are you looking at putting a NC tag on it for show purposes? If you are, you will have a hard time getting a NCSHP tag. However, all of the NCSHP tags started with SHP-####. You could probably find a plate company that reproduces them and get one made and no one would know the difference.