PDA

View Full Version : Where Was My SSP In Service ?????

ssp91ssp
11-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Hello All,
I purchased my 91 ssp 3mths ago thinking it was a Tx car , upon running a car fax last week it comes back as an Arkansas car ??????
Vin # 1FACP40E8MF151124
DSO 230098
I have spoken to other ssp owners and they are also confused a bit ????
ANY IDEAS ????? NEED HELP !!!

Thank You ..
ssp91ssp

texunter
11-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Does your car still have the bucktags ?
If so, what do they say?

ssp91ssp
11-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Does your car still have the bucktags ?
If so, what do they say?

Yes , has both buck tags
The top tag with all the info is the one that has the DSO 230098
the second tag ONLY has POLICE DSO
my tags do not have a state name on them .????

thanks
ssp91ssp

stadair
11-12-2009, 11:54 PM
You did see on the 'tech page' that DSO 23 is Memphis, right?

ssp91ssp
11-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Yes , i did see the Memphis for a DSO 23 ....the question we have is why the car fax shows Arkansas for the first 40k miles of its life ???

stadair
11-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Maybe because there was/is no DSO in Arkansas?

ImEvil1
11-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Interesting DSO...unfortunately, with a non-special paint, generic DSO POLICE stamping on your DSO tag, you may have a difficult time identifying the original agency it served with. It's not impossible, but may be a challenge.

ssp91ssp
11-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks Mike,
At this point i'm most interested in finding out if it's a Tenn on an Arkansas SSP ??? so i can further my search .....
Is there anyone else that can help ????

So does this make my car a little rare or an odd ball????
i noticed in the SSP registry that there are no Tenn or Arkansas cars registered ????

thanks
ssp91ssp 956/802-2983

08 super duty
03 cobra
91 ssp ?????
89 LX Hatch ,302, stock cam,aod, turbocharged.. 9.97@133mph
89 Coupe 5.0 . Regatti Blue
67 Fastback. cali car .4spd

ImEvil1
11-13-2009, 10:28 AM
It wasn't necessarily a state car. Many city and county departments used these as well.

Maybe you could start with a title search in Arkansas?

ssp91ssp
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks mike
Last week i emailed Arkansas DPS fleet dept ... but they tell me that they throw out records after 7yrs ???? so back to square 1....

ssp91ssp
11-13-2009, 09:35 PM
ok, i called several places in Arkansas and they all point to the city of West Memphis Arkansas.....
The agencies that i spoke to would were not very helpful , they mention that there is a privacy act and will give no info.. I have sent an email to the city dept so we will see on monday what happens ..

ssp91ssp

jpargo
11-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Hector, don't give up your search in finding out about your car...this is half the fun. Welcome to the site, John;)

ssp91ssp
11-14-2009, 12:38 AM
thanks john ... yeap it's like a puzzle as info comes together on these SSP cars..

we have owned 39 fox mustangs and this is our first SSP ,it's a ton of fun as my kids like that i take them to school in it every morning ...
the weather here in south tx lets us do that ...Lol.

stadair
11-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks mike
Last week i emailed Arkansas DPS fleet dept ... but they tell me that they throw out records after 7yrs ???? so back to square 1....

Kind of like when I talked to CHP Motorpool about my '93 SSP. It was before they kept records on computer and all the paper records had been thrown out. So sad. :-(

ssp91ssp
11-14-2009, 08:30 PM
stadair...
Did you ever find anything on your 93 SSP? History ?
after finding out what dept our cars belonged to it's sad to find that they have thrown info away after 7yrs ???

i have my fingers crossed for next week as i wait on some answers out of the Arkansas dept ...

ssp91ssp

jpargo
11-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Hector...you're killing me with the weather. I wish we could enjoy our cars more...nice thing about the SSP's is that they are rolling pieces of history. Best of luck with the search.

stadair
11-15-2009, 10:25 AM
stadair...
after finding out what dept our cars belonged to it's sad to find that they have thrown info away after 7yrs ???

ssp91ssp

No, I have not found out any info on my car. From what I can tell, it did not serve with the CHP as a patrol car as it does not have any mounting holes for anything; radio, antennas, lights, ect. It was painted gray over the B&W. And is now the Reef Blue you see in my pic. The guy I bought it from said that the guy he bought it from was working for the government. My best guess is that CHP decided they didn't need it and shipped it off to some govenment agency like maybe the FBI or DEA where it was painted government gray.

ImEvil1
11-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Toshi,

I remember discussing your car.....there are many possibilities out there. I highly doubt, however, that it was painted grey and used by a federal agency. Those agencies, just like the state and local ones, have pretty detailed procedures that they have to follow to sell surplus vehicles (and it would not involve any individual selling it to someone else).

ImEvil1
11-15-2009, 11:49 AM
stadair...

i have my fingers crossed for next week as i wait on some answers out of the Arkansas dept ...

ssp91ssp

What did you find that made you think your car was still in-service in 2002?

ssp91ssp
11-15-2009, 02:10 PM
No.No ...
When the Ark DPS fleet Ltn replied to my Vin questions , he replied that once a veh is no longer in service ...records are only kept 7yrs ....

is this what you were asking about ??? not that it was in service up to 2002

ssp91ssp
hector

ImEvil1
11-15-2009, 02:28 PM
No.No ...
When the Ark DPS fleet Ltn replied to my Vin questions , he replied that once a veh is no longer in service ...records are only kept 7yrs ....

is this what you were asking about ??? not that it was in service up to 2002

ssp91ssp
hector

I see.....thought you had some info that it was still in-service then.

ssp91ssp
11-18-2009, 12:37 AM
pics of ssp
http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/alvar4/?albumview=grid

I got thru to someone at West Memphis city dept , the conversation went very rude and dry on their part ...
the guy would not even take my vin # and just answer yes or no if my ssp was in service there .

getn info on these cars is like pulling teeth . sounds like my search is coming to a halt ..???? any ideas ???

thanks
ssp91ssp
hector

stadair
11-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Toshi,

I remember discussing your car.....there are many possibilities out there. I highly doubt, however, that it was painted grey and used by a federal agency. Those agencies, just like the state and local ones, have pretty detailed procedures that they have to follow to sell surplus vehicles (and it would not involve any individual selling it to someone else).

I see.:headscratch:

ImEvil1
11-18-2009, 11:55 PM
pics of ssp
http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/alvar4/?albumview=grid

I got thru to someone at West Memphis city dept , the conversation went very rude and dry on their part ...
the guy would not even take my vin # and just answer yes or no if my ssp was in service there .

getn info on these cars is like pulling teeth . sounds like my search is coming to a halt ..???? any ideas ???

thanks
ssp91ssp
hector

Sorry...missed your post. You are seeing first-hand how difficult it can be to document one of these cars. Sad fact is that unless Marti starts coming out with the invoices, we may never know what agency some of these cars were originally sold to.

ImEvil1
11-18-2009, 11:57 PM
I see.:headscratch:

Toshi,

The federal agencies get their cars from GSA. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it's highly unlikely that any federal agency "bought" left-over CHP cars and put them into service.

My vote is that it was an admin car or used in investigative/UC work.

stadair
11-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Toshi,

The federal agencies get their cars from GSA. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it's highly unlikely that any federal agency "bought" left-over CHP cars and put them into service.

My vote is that it was an admin car or used in investigative/UC work.

O.K. I can live with that.

ssp91ssp
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
ImEvil1
Are there any Ex Officers on this site that would have better luck at getting info out of some of these agencies ????????????

It flat out sucks , we all know our cars have neat history , people know ,
they have been retired for some time but yet they answer .....
NOPE.. CAN'T HELP YOU ...THERE IS A PRIVACY ACT..IT'S FEDERAL !!

from what i gather NOT all agencies react the same??? some members have a TON of info !!!
Ok . now that i'm also turning Evil i have to start work ...

thanks guys ..
ssp91ssp
hector

1989 Tx DPS SSP
11-19-2009, 10:14 AM
If I we you I would try and do a Title check through the State of Arkansas if available. Even for us that have TxDPS cars there is no longer any info available. They killed the computer in 2000. I have owned my car 18 yrs now.
West Memphis is a small town.

Tom

ImEvil1
11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
ImEvil1
Are there any Ex Officers on this site that would have better luck at getting info out of some of these agencies ????????????

It flat out sucks , we all know our cars have neat history , people know ,
they have been retired for some time but yet they answer .....
NOPE.. CAN'T HELP YOU ...THERE IS A PRIVACY ACT..IT'S FEDERAL !!

from what i gather NOT all agencies react the same??? some members have a TON of info !!!
Ok . now that i'm also turning Evil i have to start work ...

thanks guys ..
ssp91ssp
hector

There are a lot of LEOs here....but it probably wont make a difference. Info is harder to get ad time passes (and people retire).

ssp91ssp
11-22-2009, 10:05 PM
It's been over a week.... So far West Memphis AR never replied at all..
I figured they would at least give me a yes or no ...as to it being from that dept...

I'm sure someone at the Dept remembers my car ! or knows a person who does ....

ssp91ssp
hector

MOstang
11-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Have you mailed a polite letter to the Chief of Police. Maybe sent him/her a letter explaining a little about this niche of the Mustang hobby and your desire to validate if it served with them in order to learn about the Mustang's history.

I had success in this manner with the Missouri State Highway Patrol and they are very helpful in this respect. On the other hand the same approach did not yield results with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol. Fortunately in that case I was able to make friends with someone on the inside of the NCSHP via other contacts.

Good luck!

ImEvil1
11-22-2009, 10:15 PM
It's been over a week.... So far West Memphis AR never replied at all..
I figured they would at least give me a yes or no ...as to it being from that dept...

I'm sure someone at the Dept remembers my car ! or knows a person who does ....

ssp91ssp
hector
I wouldn't be so sure about that....I'd bet you'd get nowhere with my old city PD, because many of the people around back then that would remember our Mustangs are long gone. Heck...I've only been gone 5 years and I don't know half of the patrol officers anymore.

Oh yeah...those ridonkulous stickers on your car would never have been put on by any agency....most have policies in place with much lower top speed limits (read: liability).

ssp91ssp
11-22-2009, 10:46 PM
MOstang...
YES ... I did that ...emailed Chief of Police and even mentioned about my kids helping work on car n stuff....
That's the kicker !!! I figured being the Chief that he would reply something ! even if he told me to buzz off but tell me something ....right ?

Mike ....
yeah ... i had to ask about those stickers as this is our first ssp ? they look neat and the kids like tellin my friends to go up and read them ...hell my kids
would be floored if we found some real history info !

A little bit of hope still left ...going after a title search monday ...Lol.

hector

ssp91ssp
11-23-2009, 10:02 PM
OK, Tiny update ...
called West Memphis Arkansas DMV about my Title search and the woman was LOST !! YEAP ...LOST!
she said she never heard of such a thing ....imagine that !

Almost begging her to help ...she asked for my vin# and said that they show my ssp in the system ....what system i don't know ...she then told me to have a nice day !

ssp91ssp
hector

ImEvil1
11-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Sorry to hear, Hector (although it is kinda funny).

MOstang
11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
That's pretty rough to ask you for the VIN number and say yes it's there followed by have a nice day. Would it help any to call back and ask for a Supervisor?

ssp91ssp
11-23-2009, 11:39 PM
yeap.... kinda comical at this point...

So ...Do we call it an Arkansas SSP now ??? or not ??
Little Rock Ar DMV also mentioned that it came up in the system in West Memphis . she also mentioned to have a nice day cuz i pry'd that info out of her ...LOl

I never knew how effective the privacy act really was !

ssp91ssp
hector