PDA

View Full Version : FHP or CHP - That is the question!

Fatrabbit
02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
First off most of you will think that I am crazy and according to my wife, I am. Last summer, I purchased my 1993 FHP SSP, but here is the catch. The previous owner had painted the car CHP Black and White. I was making plans to repaint the car FHP Black and Tan, and had even bought a Vector Lightbar to mount on the car after the paint.

This weekend, the previous owner, who has been sending me various CHP related parts that he is finding, brought me a complete set of CHP decals.

SO... since the car already has a good looking B & W paint job, do I stay with a CHP looking FHP and get the car as close to CHP as possible, or take the plunge to an all correct FHP SSP. How many of you have a car that started out as one and was or is being restored to another? The car will look like a CHP to most people, but SSP Owners are not like most people.

chp1982
02-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Definitely FHP since it is, after all, an FHP!

MOstang
02-01-2010, 06:15 PM
+1 as an FHP, or sell it to someone who will return to FHP and purchase a CHP if that's what you would like.

ImEvil1
02-01-2010, 08:18 PM
+1 as an FHP, or sell it to someone who will return to FHP and purchase a CHP if that's what you would like.

+1, another vote.

YellowMurci
02-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I was faced with that dilema with my b4c camaro wanted a chp but restored it back to fhp - and decided to get an ssp to make a chp out of it

NoDrama43
02-01-2010, 09:29 PM
F H P for sure. That is what the car is.

stadair
02-01-2010, 10:23 PM
It is what it is. FHP is my vote.

The previous owner is GIVING you all the CHP stuff? Take it and sell it to fund the FHP restoration.

scoutdrivinrebel
02-01-2010, 10:45 PM
FHP...it's should be a symbol of its heritage.

sspanthony
02-01-2010, 11:01 PM
FHP is the way to go....

ssp91ssp
02-01-2010, 11:09 PM
FHP all the way !!!
Days back i asked for some help here as to weather i should take my unmarked ssp and put markings on it ?????
Now i'm glad i did that because these guys pointed me in the original direction !! which is the correct way ! that's what these cars are all about..
correct ???

Hector
thanks guys !!!

w4ata
02-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm sure you wont have any trouble selling the CHP equipment. Bring it back to what it really is, my vote is for FHP!:D

jpargo
02-02-2010, 03:43 PM
+ FHP

28HopUp
02-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I like CHP cars, but I agree with the rest - go FHP. The car's heritage lies with its roots as a FHP car, and finishing it as something it is not makes it a clone. Since you don't live in Florida, you shouldn't get into trouble with those colors. Just remember to keep all police marking covered.

If the previous owner is sending you the CHP items because they were part of the deal you made, then by all means sell them to finance the minor repaint. If they were sent out of kindness so you could complete his dream, then you might want to return the CHP items to the guy.

It's your car to do as you wish, but since you asked, then that's the way I'd go if I was in your place.

NoDrama43
02-02-2010, 05:01 PM
If the previous owner is sending you the CHP items because they were part of the deal you made, then by all means sell them to finance the minor repaint. If they were sent out of kindness so you could complete his dream, then you might want to return the CHP items to the guy.

:2thumbs:

Excellent post. Imagine how you would feel if you gave equipment to someone for a restoration and then saw it for sale on ebay or elswhere? Unfortunatly it happens because $$$ is the primary focus for so many people. I was on the phone with Bruce Howard just a little while ago and we were discussing the same "concept". I would go FHP and give the stuff back "if" it was given for you to use on the resto.

Bill thanks for throwing it out there for thought !!

MOstang
02-02-2010, 08:23 PM
:2thumbs:

Excellent post. Imagine how you would feel if you gave equipment to someone for a restoration and then saw it for sale on ebay or elswhere? Unfortunatly it happens because $$$ is the primary focus for so many people. I was on the phone with Bruce Howard just a little while ago and we were discussing the same "concept". I would go FHP and give the stuff back "if" it was given for you to use on the resto.

Bill thanks for throwing it out there for thought !!
+1

Andy
02-03-2010, 01:23 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/kasf8m.jpg

NoDrama43
02-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Andy you are never boring. :)

28HopUp
02-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Andy you are never boring. :)

Agreed!

Fatrabbit
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
OK, OK I Give !
FHP 719 Going to the paint shop as soon as the weather permits !
For now, I guess I will be keeping the CHP Stuff until I figure out how to handle, it being a gift from the previous owner.

Anybody got FHP Decals ?

chp1982
02-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Glad to hear it! Are you going to try and salvage some of the paint that is on the car or re-do it all?