PDA

View Full Version : Car wax question for my MSHP SSP

MOstang
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Other than getting really cold hands :D , any issues with waxing a car in the winter? I know in the warm months you're not supposed to wax a car in the sun.

Expect to wrap up the project to return my 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP to in-service condition sometime next week. Well at least wrap up all the real substantive work for the car. Figured it would probably be a good idea to lay down some wax on at least parts of car the magnetic backed emblems will be applied before putting them on my new paint job. I'll want to put the emblems on it to, weather permitting, get some pics taken and posted on the forum by the end of next week.

Looking forward to unveiling what it looks like back in its MSHP glory. Will be little shy of a 2 year project...I'm pretty excited as you can imagine. :party:

ImEvil1
02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Check out this thread....

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39396

MOstang
02-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Mike - Thanks for the link!

jpargo
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Mike, you can wax in colder temperatures the wax may just be harder to work with and take longer to set up. You still need to try and avoid direct sunlight if at all possible and the surface temperature of the car should be between 55 to 75 degrees...humidity also affects the way the wax will work as well. If you get a chance check out the Meguires website as it will list some info on your question. Its great to see the car coming along...cannot wait to see some pictures.

MOstang
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM
John - Thanks for the add'l info and again should have pics up by end of next week!

Winterpark SSP
02-07-2010, 09:42 AM
You will certainly want to wait at leat 8 weeks before applying the magnetic decals and especially waxing fresh paint. It takes a minimum of 8 weeks for new paint to completely "cure" and the paint needs that time to "breath".

I would wait until you bring it to your first "car show" before applying the magnetic decals or even applying any wax to new paint.

I hope this helps.