PDA

View Full Version : Light Bar / Radio ???

ssp91ssp
02-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Are there any aftermarket companies that members have used to purchase
light bars ???? since the orig equip is so hard to find ...

My Colorado car takes a Force 4 but i kinda like the Jetstrobe look .??
How about Vascar Plus ??my car aslo calls for this unit ???
my paper work aslo lists a radio -431HHN0162 ??
how about brackets and such for the radios / shotgun ?
Sorry for the big bother with dumb questions , this our first ssp ever with correct documentation with proof of equip it came with ...

thanks for your help guys .
ssp91ssp

MOstang
02-27-2010, 12:07 PM
I would suggest joining both of these sites...

http://www.elightbars.org

http://www.radioreference.com

Also just my 2 cents if me I would stick with whatever they used and only deviate for the time being if something is absolutely unable to be found.

ImEvil1
02-27-2010, 12:24 PM
+1.

Radio is a syntor with the siren amp attached (lower level of radio head has the built-in siren controls).

NoDrama43
02-27-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree with Mike and Mike. To have the correct paperwork showing exactly what needs to be in the car is huge. The force 4 lightbars are easy to find as is the syntor radio and the vascar. Be patient and start looking and don't buy the first correct one you find. Hold out for a mint nice one.

On Ebay I bought brand new (in the box) Force 4 clear domes for my Missouri car for 30.00 each which is better than half price of retail. The stuff you need should not be to hard to find.

I have a shotgun rack that if it is correct for the aero car, can be duplicated pretty easy also. I would not suggest buying one for 250.00 off of anyone. the are simple steel stock welded together with a butt plate and electric gun lock bolted to them. I will pull it out tomorrow and see what it fits.

Hector......did you ever yank out the rear seat so you could snap me some roll bar pictures??? :)

ssp91ssp
02-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks all...
the search is on for some equip. I saw a company that sells radio mounting brackets to stack the electronics ??? good idea or not ???
I emailed CSP to see if they have pics on how the equip was mounted and more history info ...let's see what happens ..

Jim , I will have the pics by monday night, the car stays at work since i have no more room at home . Do you need me to measure anything ???
My 03 Cobra keeps it company there ! lol
kinda odd for a Snake and a Stallion to share a Stall .

ssp91ssp

thanks again for the info ..

ImEvil1
02-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Hector,

I'd pass on the stack. The radio in my '83 was mounted where the ashtray would normally have been, and the Unitrol switchbox they used was very small (if it's the same for your car...I think it is). The VASCAR in my car, per the Trooper who drove it, was mounted to a piece of flexible "microphone stand" material (silver stuff), and the radar was just thrown up on the dash.

ssp91ssp
02-27-2010, 10:37 PM
thanks !
My son and i just want to make sure that it looks close to fac , we hate to have members say my car looks like it's sponsored by Home Depot ..LOL

we live so far off the map that i have NO other equip'd ssp in the area to look at for an idea...
wait , there is 1 , 93 TX DPS ... you guys think most of these were close in mountings of electronics ? i will see if i can look at my buddy's car this wknd?

I guess the main thing is to find the electronics , get them here and see what else we need and how to mount them .

sorry to bore you guys ! we have only seen 1 fully marked ssp in real life !
it's been only about 2 yrs with the SSP itch .
thanks again to all.
ssp91ssp

MOstang
02-28-2010, 11:12 AM
thanks !
you guys think most of these were close in mountings of electronics ?
Every state had their own unique equipment setup so I'm not sure a Texas DPS will do much for you as far as equipment install locations for a Colorado SSP. You've seen some pics posted of my completed equipment install on the 93 Missouri SSP. I haven't ever seen another state that had that setup. Similarly speaking, my North Carolina SSP had some very specific equipment that I haven't really noticed in SSP's from other states.

If I recall you have an equipment inventory on what your car had, so that's a big win! Personally I don't have that for either my MSHP or NCSHP SSP's and had to use other means to figure out what they were equipped with. Find some in-service photos of Colorado SSP's around same year as your car to try and get any evidence you can on where things were mounted. Even the exterior photos are a big help and can provide some clues in that regard. Network with other Colorado SSP owners like Mike (IMEVIL1) to try and establish a "roadmap" as to where the equipment was installed, or even where it was most likely installed. Anyone out there that has a Colorado SSP returned to in-service? If you find one just keep in mind whatever you find may not be the entirely correct. Everyone is trying to do their best with what info they have and you may have more current/accurate info than they did.

The unfortunate part of this stage with an SSP is it is often a "hurry up and wait". My Missouri SSP took nearly 2 years with a ton of information from the State and MustangRetriever. For my North Carolina SSP I was very fortunate and help received here led me step by step to people with the NCSHP that have filled in every piece of information I need to complete this project. In my case I did not have anyone with an SSP that was correctly returned to in-service condition so that made it that much more challenging and rewarding of a project all at the same time. My approach is to establish a plan, try to remain patient as possible and conduct a thoughtful and diligent search. It has been 7 months since I purchased the North Carolina SSP and while it is still a work in process looks complete and accurate. In the meantime I continue my search for the last few pieces of the puzzle.

It's hard to remain patient through the process and avoid the pit traps of trying to rush the project. I know this from experience as it was really hard remaining patient through my Missouri project. Even more difficult as you hear and see other project progress, however, for me that actually helped to fortify my belief that to stay focused on the plan and not rush would result in a better outcome. At times I was tempted to take short cuts and now that my Missouri SSP has reached the end of my initial "roadmap to return it to in-service condition" I cannot be happier that I stuck to the plan. My encouragement would be to use a similar approach, settle in that it will require some time while taking great enjoyment along the way in the process, the people you meet and who help, what you learn, and the various small wins which will make the "end of your roadmap" that much more enjoyable.

ssp91ssp
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks Mike!! Well put my friend !
I needed that little chat , the patience part is hard for me since all my past mustangs have been high perf ones .
Those cars you just make a list pick up the phone and place an order , 2 weeks later you have 500hp .. lol

The SSP stuff is tuff and slow as you learn history on your particular car's state .
As far as parts for SSP's you really have to be patient and find the correct mint part as mentioned by Mr Drama and others .

we will continue our search at a slower/smarter fashion for a better outcome .

Jim , how do you do it with so many SSP's ?

ssp91sp

mac88chp
03-02-2010, 02:23 PM
I needed that little chat , the patience part is hard for me since all my past mustangs have been high perf ones .
Those cars you just make a list pick up the phone and place an order , 2 weeks later you have 500hp .. lol

The SSP stuff is tuff and slow as you learn history on your particular car's state .
As far as parts for SSP's you really have to be patient and find the correct mint part as mentioned by Mr Drama and others .

we will continue our search at a slower/smarter fashion for a better outcome .

Jim , how do you do it with so many SSP's ?

ssp91spWise move. These restorations are not done from a catalog (it took me over four years to acquire the correct controller cable to hook up my lights and siren). So just hang in there and do it right and you will be rewarded.

NoDrama43
03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Some items are almost impossible to find. Like a Federal Signal PA500 FM siren needed for the Michigan SSP. It took Bruce Howard over three years to find his, then he found me one listed 30 minutes from my house.

I have been looking for over 5 years now for the Washington State Police radio. I have the correct control box and siren but the radio is nowhere to be found. I keep hoping that one will appear someday.

The hunt for and the locating of the correct equipment is one of the most enjoyable parts of this hobby for me. :)

MOstang
03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
The hunt for and the locating of the correct equipment is one of the most enjoyable parts of this hobby for me. :)
+1000

MOstang
03-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Those cars you just make a list pick up the phone and place an order , 2 weeks later you have 500hp .. lol?
Hector - Thank you for receiving my feedback in the spirit it was intended. Also well put about the difference in modifying a late model Mustang versus returning to in-service specs an SSP. I'm not the most patient person (my wife will easily attest to that) and the waiting part with my MSHP SSP was tough beyond belief. I have been fascinated by these Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP's since I first laid eyes on them back in 1988. Never in my wildest dreams thought I would have the opportunity to own one, much less play the part in resurrecting one from being turned into a DARE car. The waiting was unbelieveable but that just made reaching my goal so much more enjoyable. You'll get there and feel the same way too!

Texaspony87
03-02-2010, 11:59 PM
I agree with all that has been said here. The hunt is part of the fun :)

08gtcs
03-13-2010, 07:57 AM
im doing a 92 fhp car
i posted a thread on some things that i need after reading thi thread i realize that its going to be harder than i thought to get the pieces that i need
i am now in complete asumsion that my car wont be ready for a while atleast when it comes to radios and equipment nd such
luckily i am a body man and dont have to wait for a paint shop

ssp91ssp
03-14-2010, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=08gtcs;19010]im doing a 92 fhp car
i posted a thread on some things that i need after reading thi thread i realize that its going to be harder than i thought to get the pieces that i need
i am now in complete asumsion that my car wont be ready for a while atleast when it comes to radios and equipment nd such
luckily i am a body man and dont have to wait for a paint shop[/QUOTE

I have sent out some emails in search for equip but NO answers yet !:headscratch:

1989 Tx DPS SSP
03-14-2010, 02:04 PM
The Code 3 Bar should be easy to come by Hector. Force 4 LP 6000.

Tom

ssp91ssp
03-16-2010, 08:15 AM
The Code 3 Bar should be easy to come by Hector. Force 4 LP 6000.

Tom

Tom , you are correct on the lightbar .
Sat i made a super quick trip into San Antonio but never had time to see a place there that has brand new units for sale ???

Jerry on here has given me info on his buddy that has nice units , i have sent out an email to him for some pics .

Just a quick update on the Colorado SSP , as of last night it now has street manners with a stock fac rear diff asm .:yes:
It is no longer a wild kicking stallion with a full spool / 430 gears.

ssp91ssp

ssp91ssp
03-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Guys , is there a standard lightbar width for a ssp?
i looked around on the site but no answer found ..:headscratch:

thanks
sp91ssp

NoDrama43
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
48 " for use on the Mustang .:yes: