PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an 88 FHP

SSPaul
04-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi as you can see this is my first post here,but I have been on this site "spectating" for a little while. I just worked out a deal on this car on Ebay. Its an 88 FHP, I am buying from a retired FL. trooper who bought it to restore but is about to move to California. My goal is to restore back to in service appearance. I m not new to fox body mustangs( this is @ my 17th one) but its my first SSP. I was just curious if anyone on this site knows this car or can help with in the right direction for uncovering the history of this car. I m transferring the money for this car in the morning and will be shipping it from Fl. to NJ. Oh he also states it was a wolf pack car, I dont really know what that is but I assume it was some type of heavy hitting ticket writers.(in NJ they are called Tac Pack). Thanks for any help in advance.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-POLICE-1988-MUSTANG-FHP-PATROL-POLICE-FOX-BODY-MOST-COLLECTED_W0QQitemZ260580083072QQihZ016QQcategoryZ 6236QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZ algo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BL M%252BLA%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D89849234615 76187395#ht_500wt_1182

NoDrama43
04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
welcome. looks like a great car for the money. lots of information here and be sure to look at the FHP restoration section.

ImEvil1
04-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Paul...welcome to the website and congrats on the purchase.

"Wolf-Packs" are basically high-profile, selective speed enforcement details and were pretty popular back in the day. I did see one last summer in S. FL, but they weren't doing them very much when I still lived in the state. Someone who currently lives there may be able to provide further info.

Many times, an FHP plane was utilized, and the troopers would line their cars up on the side of the highway and pull out to stop whatever vehicle(s) were called in. I've heard of units using stationary radar also being used this way.

If the guy selling the car is an actual retired trooper, I'd hate to have seen any of his incident reports. :)

As for the claim of it being a "wolf-pack car", I wouldn't place a ton of merit on it. These were pretty informal deals and definitely not full-time jobs. Any number of cars could have participated in that type of enforcement activity. Here is the FHP policy on Selective Enforcement, issued in 1996, mentioning "wolfpack patrols".

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:4Pw8dt_v-ogJ:www.flhsmv.gov/fhp/html/Manuals/fh17-21.pdf+fhp+wolf+pack&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbTdVgVLvdtguASCUoIi4ejzTELf6g

ssp91ssp
04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Paul,
Great buy ! welcome to the site ..

ssp91ssp

93 USPS SSP
88 CSP SSP unit #246

MOstang
04-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Paul - Congrats on the acquisition...welcome to the forum. Lot's of great info to learn here. :thumbsup:

28HopUp
04-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Paul,

Welcome to the forum. What part of NJ do you call home? I'm in northern Delaware, not too far from Philadelphia.

Like others have said, there's ALOT of good information about SSP's here. Use the search button and look back at old threads that may pertain to the FHP cars. And don't be afraid to ask questions - it sounds like you know your way around Fox Mustangs, so that'll make things easier on you in terms of maintaining/restoring/preserving/enjoying your new SSP. Congrats!

SSPaul
04-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the greetings, I am located bout 45 mins north of Atlantic city. I work in Pleasantville which is 5 miles outside AC. I will start reading up on past posts about the FHP cars. After some reading last night I found that "wolf pack" cars were generally slick tops and usually had their id numbers on the roof so that the chopper could identify from the sky. Is there places online to find the original style lettering(ie STATE TROOPER on both front fenders and Fl symbol on doors)? I really want to make this a nice looking car and since the paint has just been done I want to get a jump on the graphics.
I paid the car in full this morning and am in the process of picking a transport company. The prices are all over the place for delivery,but needless to say I am very excited about this purchase and cant wait to get the car delivered.

MOstang
04-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Congrats again...you'll find a few threads on transport companies here on the forum too. A couple threads in the last few months come to mind.

sspanthony
04-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Welcome Paul !!!

mac88chp
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Welcome Paul-sounds like you're in for some fun with your new SSP.

Coordinated air and ground unit enforcement operations are still done in California and back in the SSP days they were known as "TAC Teams":

http://images28.fotki.com/v963/photos/4/438439/1947960/CHPMag0788-vi.jpg

stadair
04-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Congrats on the FHP! Looks like you've got a good head start on its restoration.

SSPaul
04-20-2010, 06:24 PM
well she has finally been picked up by the hauler and is northbound! Should arrive in NJ by Friday, cant wait to go over this car! Will post up some pics once she arrives.

SSPaul
04-20-2010, 06:28 PM
also found this while doing a vin search and was wondering if anyone here remembers this listing? It is the car I just purchased from another sale a few years ago. http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=800

ImEvil1
04-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Looks like a ton of work was done on the car, based on that old listing. I hope it looks as good in person as it does in the pics. If so, I think you got a great deal.

I missed your comment about slick-top Mustangs.....never say never, but they really didn't run any slick-tops.

ssp5.0
06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Have the seats been changed? I was under the impression all SSP's came with the low back base model seats with reinforcing at the major stress points.

FHP813
06-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Those seats are not from that car.

jarhed123
06-16-2010, 09:30 PM
SSpaul, congrad on the purchase of this car.

I would like to say it has been almost a year since I have posted but I have been a bit busy with lots of things. Glad I have been able to keep in touch with lots of you guys.

Paul, I have lots of pictures and old ebay postings on your car. From when it was a complete car to not having an engine and most of the int. off of it. Then the rebuilding to what it is now. I will post some of the old sell pictures here or I can email them to you.

SSPaul
06-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow great news. Did you own the car? I would love any info or pics you have of the car. Send them to roeseler156@Comcast.net. also do you know the unit number for the car? Thanks a lot!

jarhed123
06-18-2010, 09:33 AM
I never owned the car but I am pretty sure I ran a history on it and might have the unit number (can't say for sure right now). I will email you the pictures as soon as I can.

28HopUp
06-18-2010, 01:03 PM
I would like to say it has been almost a year since I have posted but I have been a bit busy with lots of things. Glad I have been able to keep in touch with lots of you guys.

Nice to see you around again Marcos!

SSPaul
06-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Marcos really hooked me up, he sent me 30+ pics of my car from several other ebay auctions. The first two auctions were the same seller so I think out of the 3 auctions the car was only sold once. I emailed the original seller from his ebay username for any info he has on the car. Still waiting to hear back from him. Thanks again, without this online form I would never of come across this info. BTW this car was nasty!http://sz0127.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/117e_3.jpg?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=87420&part=35