PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Bearing Noise ? Fixed !

ssp91ssp
05-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Some of you may be familiar with the pitting of rear axles and bearings on our 8.8 diff's with high miles ..for those that are not, this info may be of some nice help..

My 93 USPS with 160k had a noticeable bearing drone above 30mph, I then noticed that it was not in the center of the diff but at outer ends ...
(axle bearings) ???
To verify this is what your ssp may also have ...drive it down the road about 40mph, if you hear this drone, lightly press on the brake (left foot)while maintaining the throttle angle and see if the noise goes away like my car did.

In the past you would have to replace axles and axle bearings to fix this! $$$$
Today the auto parts carry a repair bearing that's inexpensive and can have you back on the road in 2hrs ..
This updated repair bearing has an offset for new (un-pitted) axle ride contact / use emery cloth to clean off the new axle contact area.
The part # used to put a cure on the USPS bearing drone is the following:
Master Pro #PT RP5707 - $60 for both bearings which also have axle seals already mounted to them. 80W90 oil and 1 tube of posi adtv.

For those who do not own the proper tools for this job, you can rent them from the same auto parts store - just ask for an axle bearing puller / slide hammer. To fit the new bearings , just place a small block of wood over them and drive them in until they are seated fully... you may also rent a seal/bearing driver to do this part, but not needed!

NOISE GONE !!!!!!!!!100% :D performed this job sat morning.
I hope this helps others .:yes:

Hec
ssp91ssp

ImEvil1
05-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Learned something new...thanks for posting that up.

FHP813
05-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm going to try that with the 86. Good find.:thumbsup: