PDA

View Full Version : 1982 SSP - need advice

foureyed
05-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Hey guys,

I'm considering buying a 1982 ex chp mustang. First off, I'm a college student who's been interested in getting a project car for a while, but hasnt ever had the funds to do so. I should let everyone know, that I know very little about cars, but intend to gain experience by jumping in.

Heres the deal: Ive found 1982 SSP mustang for sale. Its got the 302 carb V8, with a cobra T5 transmission, 3.55 gears and 8.8 axle, MSD ignition and a short throw shifter. The car has 140,XXX miles on it and the owner said the tranny was replaced around 20,000 miles ago. He said it runs smooth and strong and I plan on checking it out this weekend. He's informed me that It'll need a tune-up as well as a speedo cable, the front brakes will need to be replace within the year and the suspension will probably need to be replaced. Hes offered it to me for 2800 and Ill probably try to talk him to 25

I'm posting because I need to hear from more experienced owners whether Im going to be getting into trouble and making a bad investment. I would love to have a solid car to work on and upgrade, but my concern is that I'll encounter a major problem with the engine or tranny that will break my spirit (or pockets rather). I have no idea how long the engines and transmission lasts on these cars and I dont know if ill be facing huge costs when it comes to maintenance and repairs. My goal is to have a solid platform to build on and upgrade with performance parts, what I dont want is a car that runs good for a little and then encounters astronomical repairs. Part of me is saying: dont buy its going to be a huge money sink, and another part of me wants to go for it.

whaddya think???

heres a pic front end makes me think its 85 or 86
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/contras650/mustang.jpg

28HopUp
05-27-2010, 07:59 PM
First off - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

I remember seeing that exact car listed for sale not too long ago (within the last 4 months or so, IIRC). The nose is off of an 85/86 GT Mustang (lower fog light holes), and I think the rear bumper had been changed too. Looks like the side moldings are gone. I'm not 100% sure, but that may be the wrong spotlight (I think all CHP spots were black). Check out the body carefully for prior body work and signs of rust. That being said, it doesn't sound like the car is too far gone not to be saved. The 5-spd swap could be undone if you wanted it back as a 4-speed. Some may complain about the 7.5" rear being swapped out for the 8.8", but that too could be changed back.

That SSP's value will be affected more IMO as to whether or not it can be documented as a CHP Mustang. You should look through the technical data on the main page to learn about how to identify the tell-tale signs of an SSP. The most important item would be the 6-digit DSO number on the driver's door VIN sticker. Having the 2nd buck tag on the radiator would be an added plus (82's had them, right guys?). See if you can locate the car's 4-digit CHP unit number. It would be written above/below that VIN sticker in raised paint pen, which shows up under a repaint unless it was sanded off. Sometimes the CHP would write the Unit Number on the back of the upper rear seat cushion, or on the front license plate bracket.

Once you know the car's CHP Unit Number, then you could try to locate the CHP Assignment Card, which fully documents a CHP Mustang as such (I may be able to help you with that, but only if you learn the Unit Number). You can also search CA DMV records to identify the previous owners. Marti "Eminger Invoices" also help tell a car's history, but those are hit & miss in terms of them finding it.

I'm posting because I need to hear from more experienced owners whether Im going to be getting into trouble and making a bad investment.

IMO, you're going to be making a bad investment by buying that car. But the journey of buying, researching, restoring a car like this goes beyond the financial aspect of the purchase. You have to ask yourself what this car would be worth fully restored, and guess as to how much you may end up spending. Speaking realistically, a NICELY restored 82 CHP Mustang will be worth roughly $15-20K in the current market. A project like this can add up very quickly. I have spent more on my CHP Mustang than I could sell it for, and I haven't touched the motor yet. But I didn't buy this car as an investment. It's a fun toy that I enjoy restoring and driving, so it's money well-spent as far as I'm concerned.

The car doesn't sound back for the asking price. Just make sure it is what the seller claims it to be.

foureyed
05-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Ok, thanks for the response, This may irk some mustang enthusiasts, but my interest is not so much to restore it to its CHP glory, but to upgrade into a fast mustang. I like the car because of its potential for upgrades and while its nice to know that it has a niche in the SSP community, I just want to make it run fast. I like the idea of having a CHP but I'm trying to guage its potential as a project hot rod.

ImEvil1
05-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Ok, thanks for the response, This may irk some mustang enthusiasts, but my interest is not so much to restore it to its CHP glory, but to upgrade into a fast mustang. I like the car because of its potential for upgrades and while its nice to know that it has a niche in the SSP community, I just want to make it run fast. I like the idea of having a CHP but I'm trying to guage its potential as a project hot rod.

Welcome to the site. We're all about preservation here, and it's definitely a saveable car.

My advice would be to pass on this one. For about the same money, you could probably find a non-V8 coupe in better condition to mod as you please.

chp1982
05-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Pass on it unless you are dying to get your hands on an '82 CHP. Plenty of 5.0's out there in a lot better shape for $2500 just waiting to be modded.

28HopUp
05-28-2010, 08:55 AM

A modded SSP Mustang will not have much appeal to the SSP enthusiast. There are exceptions to that of course, and a high-dollar, high-quality hotrod SSP may pull in some interest from a very small group. But it doesn't sound like you have the skills and funds for a high-dollar hot rod. When you're done, you'll end up with a modded Mustang that is no different than the thousands of other modded Mustangs you see at shows and drag strips. There were only 400 CHP SSP Mustangs in 1982. You see where I'm going with this?

I was in your situation when I found my 85 CHP Mustang in 2008. I wanted a 5.0L/5spd Mustang for weekend trips to the dragstrip. Once I started working on the car, its unique character as an SSP changed my plans. The research of its CHP history became its own interesting challenge. Finding original CHP parts for its restoration was like looking for buried treasure. So instead of building a weekend racer, I changed course and began restoring it as an unmarked, reliable daily driver with as much of the CHP equipment as possible. Although it is fun to take it to the track occasionally (shhh, I didn't type that!), it's a blast to drive on the street. I'm not talking about stoplight racing either. Driving my SSP will start up so many conversations - gas stations, stoplights, driving down the street (yes, folks will yell out their windows or give you a thumbs-up). These SSP's have a unique history as in-service police vehicles. Many folks still remember seeing them (sometimes in their mirror!). Restored SSP's (or partially restored ones like mine) are instantly recognizable to those who are familiar with them.

In the end, whoever buys that car (assuming that it is in fact an SSP) will do whatever they want with it. It's their money to spend. If I could save it, I would, but I can't save them all. But to answer your bolded question at the top of this post, I think the car has more potential as a (partially) restored SSP than as a hot rod.

MOstang
05-28-2010, 01:03 PM
That's great advice Bill. :exactly:

ssp91ssp
05-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the site.

+++ , to all of the above positive ssp comments !
lots of other coupes out there to mod! just my opinion .

ssp91ssp
Hec

foureyed
06-01-2010, 06:30 AM
thanks guys i took your advice hopefully someone will restore that chp

chp1982
06-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Good luck with the hunt. I hope you find what you're looking for.

ssp91ssp
06-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Good luck with the hunt. I hope you find what you're looking for.

+++ :thumbsup:

ssp91ssp