PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch

Va 5.0
07-04-2010, 10:55 AM
I went to start the mustang on Friday. I hooked the negative terminal on the battery and it would crank but not start. I tried pulling the codes using a test light but it would not work. I eventually determined I was not getting any spark. At this point I was thinking TFI module, coil , or a whole new distributor. It was frustrating because it was running fine when I parked it. Anyway I noticed that when the key was in the run position I was not getting any dash warning lights. I went to NAPA and I picked up a ignition switch and a TFI module.
I took the column apart today and the switch forward of the key had seperated on one side. I snapped it back and SUCCESS!!!! It started!!!

I will finish putting the new one in later.....but I am happy it is not dead in the driveway anymore.

Unmrkd
07-04-2010, 11:40 AM
The ignition switches can really generate some strange problems when they seperate. Mine did basically the same and had me scratching my head for a little while. Usually you can reseat the metal prongs that hold the plastic housing to get you by for a short time. The new switch isn't expensive so replacement is definitely the way to go.

Glad you found it before spending a lot of time and money.

FlyinTiger
07-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Mine has been acting up recently, and caused the air condition and radio to go out during one of my trips. Little did I know that the car was running with the key in the off position. It was fun getting the car to turn off that day. :eek:

ImEvil1
07-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks for sharing that.....IIRC, Ford had a recall on the ignition switches as they were shorting out and starting fires.

Va 5.0
07-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Here are some pics of broken switch. The first one shows how it seperated. The second one I snapped it back together.

FlyinTiger
07-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for sharing that.....IIRC, Ford had a recall on the ignition switches as they were shorting out and starting fires.

Recall does not include late production '93 models.