PDA

View Full Version : 1986 and 1991 mustang ssp air conditioner

stielow775
07-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Ok the a/c on my 86 and my 1991 ssp are not working. The 1991 has been converted to r134a or at least it had the sticker saying it had, i had to lose the charge when I did the motor swap, also my 86 ssp ac not working. What do you guys recommend or what has worked for you guys? I have the tools to remove the lines and change the o rings if need be is this something you recommend a avg person to do, or take it to a shop and have them do it?

Also what is a fair amount to pay to have a shop do it? I got quoted 260 dollars to do a r134a conversion on my 86 is that a fair price, also the leak detector should find any leaks so it should be good for a couple years eh???

Thanks so much for all your help and guidance.

Matt

stadair
07-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi Matt,

$260 sounds good. But with anything, I'd shop around. I initially started on that path with my '93, a 134 converstion. But then I needed more things than just converting. Lots of seals dried up sitting in Las Vegas for five years.

On a previous Mustang I installed a whole new R134 system myself before bringing it in to the shop to charge. You can do it yourself for sure.

FHP813
07-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Anytime you open the system to the atmosphere it need to be vacuumed out. That is assuming there is nothing else wrong with the system. If you have the ability to do some of the labor yourself and have a shop do the rest you would definitely save some cash. if the evaporator is good that will save you a bunch on labor.