PDA

View Full Version : CNG Conversion Lets Brainstorm

stielow775
08-15-2010, 11:25 AM
So i have a 1991 ssp and a 1986 ssp and lets face it gas prices are getting higher and higher, I have really seriously been considering buying a cng kit and retrofitting it on one of my cars. I dont have to go in all the benefits such as 10-15k mike oil changes, higher octane, and 1.50 per gallon.

Has anyone done it? What kit did you buy, and lastly what are your thoughts?

I really think if you could do it for a reasonable cost it would be silly not to do it.

Your thoughts and input is greatly appreciated, also my 1991 ssp is modded and pushing about 290hp with stock injectors etc are hp issues a concern?

I just cant seem to find any info on doing it on older mustangs.

Matt

Charlie
08-26-2010, 11:47 AM
My Dad pioneered propane carboration in the mid 60's He had a T-bird with a big propane tank in the trunk. If he could do it then you can do it now

texunter
08-27-2010, 04:45 PM
I have an 85 F250 that was cng powered. I stripped it off to run gas again and it ran like a scalded dog on gas. There will definately be a horsepower loss and refilling is a pain! If you run out, your done, you cant just fill it anywhere.

I think it would be a waste on an SSP and be prepared for negative criticizm.
My 2cents

MOstang
08-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Thousands and thousands of Fox Body Mustangs out there. Why do this to an SSP? Just get one of those thousands and thousands of generic run of the mill Fox Body Mustangs to make that kind of conversion.

Andy
08-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Thousands and thousands of Fox Body Mustangs out there. Why do this to an SSP? Just get one of those thousands and thousands of generic run of the mill Fox Body Mustangs to make that kind of conversion.

+1

http://www.free-imagehosting.com/out.php/i4463_stricklen.bmp

MOstang
08-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Andy - I always enjoy your spin on things...very poignant in a picture sort of way.