PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my fingers crossed...my 89 Minnesota State Patrol SSP

MOstang
08-20-2010, 07:36 PM
With some perseverance and following one lead to the next, I have managed to connect with the individual who (with his company) originally equipped all 20 of the 1989 Minnesota State Patrol SSP Mustangs. The MSP evidently subcontracted the work to an emergency equipment company in the Twin Cities. I think he was surprised to hear from me, that 20 years have already passed and it brough back some good memories. I'm hopefuly he's going to be able to dust off some good information for me...and by the grace of God hopefully some additional pictures. Will keep everyone posted. :southpark:

ImEvil1
08-20-2010, 08:29 PM
:2thumbs:

28HopUp
08-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Sweet! Be sure to take notes while you are talking with him so you don't forget any little detail he gives you.

Roundhat
08-21-2010, 01:58 AM
:cool:

MOstang
08-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Gentleman thanks! I have a call scheduled for Monday with the original installer. Should be an interesting conversation and a great opportunity to fill in a number of blanks. Hopefully he will have retained some documentation from back then to assist as well. Will be sure to take copious notes.

MOstang
09-19-2010, 01:43 PM
I've been meaning to update this thread. Held a telephone conversation with the gentleman who's company won a competitive bidding and was contracted by the Minnesota State Patrol to install a "base package" for their twenty (20) 1989 SSP Mustangs.

Essentially this installation entailed putting the switch box, lighting, siren, associated brackets plus the radar bracket into each Mustang. The Minnesota State Patrol then actually handled installation of the radios, sti-co adapter, MDT and radar itself into each Mustang. Interestingly he recalled a specific memory of bending 20 brackets to attach with other off the shelf parts utilized in order to create each Mustang's radar bracket. He mentioned the brackets they made came off the top of the dash and had supports go into the air/heat vents on top of the dash with an angle bracket attaching in the inside left jamb of the glove box (adjacent to the fuel and trunk release buttons). This provides confirmation on the marks on top of my dash and sure enough I opened the glove box and found 2 holes in the location he suggested I look. Net/net this was a good experience as I've made a valuable contact and learned more about my Minnesota State Patrol SSP Mustang.

It's always fascinated me the creative ways in which various agencies installed equipment into the Mustangs. He's going to look through the old historical records in order to determine what has been retained and if they have photos. I'm due to follow-up with him and see if he's had time to dig through any of that as yet. Hopefully I'll end up with some other tidbits of information and a photo or 2 if I'm real lucky.

Will be attending my 1st car show with the 1989 Minnesota State Patrol SSP a week from today at the Mid-Michigan Mustang Club's all-Ford car show. Hopefully the weather will be better than last year.

ssp91ssp
09-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Mike,
Congrats on your new contact/info ! Best of luck on your 1st car show and further hist info!!:2thumbs:

stadair
09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
That was interesting to read Mike.