PDA

View Full Version : 10 hole wheels machined polished

mbe2598
10-17-2010, 05:54 PM
The best I have found in the KCMO area to re-polish / machine the 10 hole wheel is $ 100.00 a wheel. NOS wheels are going for $300.00 EACH.

My Santa Clara Car Wheels are perfect, and a previous owner had these professionally polished out. Where is everyone sending their wheels and how much? The FHP car are ok, but really need a make over to make the car. I have found a good source for powder coating the 10 hole at $40.00 a wheel in KCMO, and have an extra set. Just want to bring new life back in the 10 holes !

MOstang
10-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Jim - I'm going to be getting some re-done here this winter. They have a shop in my area too, which is great.

http://www.keystone-auto.com/bodyshops/wheels.html

See the following post started 12/28/08 for some more info too...

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1593&highlight=hole

NoDrama43
10-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Keystone will make them look like new. They also do the back sides. You need to tell them you want them a satin finish. If you don't they will put way to much clear on them and they will NOT look original.

MOstang
10-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Jim - Thanks for the input. I definately want them to turn out right the first time.

ssp91ssp
10-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Keystone will make them look like new. They also do the back sides. You need to tell them you want them a satin finish. If you don't they will put way to much clear on them and they will NOT look original.

Great point on the clear !!! Keystone did my buddy's DPS wheels and they look WET !!! they have so much clear..
They look great but original looking!

mbe2598
10-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Thnaks guys.....7 miles from the house, didnt know they where in KC. Yellow pages has them as an engine shop..Ill be on their door step Wednesday.

MOstang
10-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Let us know how it goes Jim....they are about the same distance from my house. I need to get over there and get it done too!

ssp91ssp
10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Great point on the clear !!! Keystone did my buddy's DPS wheels and they look WET !!! they have so much clear..
They look great but original looking!

Whoops !!

They look great but NOT original looking!

MOstang
10-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Had to read your oiginal post twice but figured that's what you meant.

mbe2598
10-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Back to the drawing board. Keystone in KCMO wants $139.00 a wheel and they send out !

28HopUp
10-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Back to the drawing board. Keystone in KCMO wants $139.00 a wheel and they send out !

They probably pay a local body shop $70 each and then mark them up...

MOstang
01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Got by the local Keystone shop here in the Detroit area today (unfortunately they moved on labor day and haven't updated address on their webpage). Just as an fyi for folks this Keystone shop is charging to refinish at $100 per Mustang 10-hole wheel with a 2-3 day turnaround for an order. No quantity discounts unless you have 100s to refinish :D.

stadair
01-27-2011, 06:57 PM
I had mine painted @ $50/wheel. I am satisfied with the finish. Had a shop down the street do it. They are in Berkley, MI. Only bad thing was that a kid at Discount tire put a weight on the outside when I specifically asked for them to be on the inside, then realized his mistake and moved it to the inside, but chiped the paint on the rim!

mbe2598
01-30-2011, 01:19 AM
Did you have them painted black or the gray? Any pics we could see?

stadair
01-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Check out the past post. Pics are here:

http://specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2496

MOstang
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Just dropped a set off locally at Keystone today. Will have back mid-to-late next week. :thumbsup:

MOstang
02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Picked up my newly restored 10 hole wheels from Keystone today. See the attached pics. The good news...they look real nice and I got them for $85/each instead of $100 each.

The other news...Keystone (at least Michigan one) has a diff't supplier they send the wheels to now and therefore whatever codes they use to restore these wheels are diff't. Evidently they have far fewer codes than old supplier and therefore have fewer codes to set up a match. They did my wheels twice to try and see if they could match closer (I provided a center cap for reference / Keystone told me they do not refinish center caps). Turned out just a slight touch glossier than the center caps. I did not press the center cap into the wheel yet but I placed it in there to snap one of the attached photos for a comparison picture.

Real close but the scuitinizing eye may notice a slight difference. A set of restored 10 holes recently sold that appeared alot glossier than mine turned out. When I originally placed my order I made sure they knew it needed to be a satin finish (thanks Jim for that advice). It was good I made that clear up front. All and all I'm pleased with them and they will look awesome on the 93 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP when installed this Spring :).

28HopUp
02-24-2011, 09:02 AM
The wheels look purrrdy Mike! :)

sspanthony
02-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I think the wheels look awesome !!!!

MOstang
02-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks gentleman!

stadair
02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Looks good to ME!

MOstang
04-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Had the re-machined 10 hole wheels installed on the MSHP SSP yesterday. Will get some decent pics to post as soon as possible. Makes a big difference. Spring weather has been very bad here so far.

CNTLOSE
04-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Had the re-machined 10 hole wheels installed on the MSHP SSP yesterday. Will get some decent pics to post as soon as possible. Makes a big difference. Spring weather has been very bad here so far.

No kidding...I am getting ready to build an Ark.

I bought an extra set of 10 holes for $30 that I was going to have redone for the TX car. If we end up keeping her I may go ahead and get them done. Mike post some before and after pics when you get a chance.

MOstang
04-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Here you go! A before and an after photo of taken of the driver side front wheel. Big improvement if I do say so myself. :thumbsup:

EXNODRAMANOTCH
04-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Here you go! A before and an after photo of taken of the driver side front wheel. Big improvement if I do say so myself. :thumbsup:

Looks great Mike! I just put some 5,600 mile center caps on my SSP today.:)

ssp91ssp
04-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Big improvement if I do say so myself. :thumbsup:

OHHHHHH YEAH !! lookin good Mike! They put a nice finish on them!:2thumbs:

NoDrama43
04-30-2011, 09:11 PM
NOS wheels are going for $300.00 EACH.

Jim I am interested in the NOS wheels for 300.00 each. Can you post up the info on who I can contact to get them?

thanks

stadair
05-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Lookin' real clean Mike!

MOstang
06-29-2012, 09:23 PM
I took two more of my extras (10 hole wheels) to get re-machined by Keystone (or LKQ as they seem to also be going by). $85 each so I'm pretty pleased with that amount. One of them will go in the MSHP and the other for the MSP will allow me to keep the period correct tire mounted on the spare that is in there now, but pull it and put this other one in there with a regular driver tire in case I have any tire issues on the road and need to use the spare.

John10608
06-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Be careful on the powder coating ! To get clear powder coat to stick well on these wheels they have to sandblast them.
Which removes the poliched look, and it pits them bad, not smooth.

I am doing my wheels now. I called around on powder coating, and they all said they had to blast them. NOT happening !

Sam's ( mustang kid ) Dad, Chris, gave me the following.....

WalMart, get some AIRCRAFT REMOVER spray cans, around $7.00 a can or so. Will need 1 to 2 per wheel.

It removes the clear on these wheels well. A little scrubbing and the clear comes off. You have to let it sit on there a bit, test it.
I had an extra wheel and used it as a sample. Works well.

The finish is very nice, smooth and clean ( unless you have curb rash )
Once cleaned, get a clear automotive finish at an automotive paint store.
They can help you with the correct stuff.
You can spray it yourself, or have a buddy that paints do it.
I'm just doing the outsides. Scrubbing and cleaning the insides is all.

They look like they came from the factory that way. Avoid powder coating if you want an original look !

Beats $130.00 a wheel !!
john

MOstang
06-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Those I've had done were not powder coated, nor will the ones being done now.

Mustang Kid
06-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Be careful on the powder coating ! To get clear powder coat to stick well on these wheels they have to sandblast them.
Which removes the poliched look, and it pits them bad, not smooth.

I am doing my wheels now. I called around on powder coating, and they all said they had to blast them. NOT happening !

Sam's ( mustang kid ) Dad, Chris, gave me the following.....

WalMart, get some AIRCRAFT REMOVER spray cans, around $7.00 a can or so. Will need 1 to 2 per wheel.

It removes the clear on these wheels well. A little scrubbing and the clear comes off. You have to let it sit on there a bit, test it.
I had an extra wheel and used it as a sample. Works well.

The finish is very nice, smooth and clean ( unless you have curb rash )
Once cleaned, get a clear automotive finish at an automotive paint store.
They can help you with the correct stuff.
You can spray it yourself, or have a buddy that paints do it.
I'm just doing the outsides. Scrubbing and cleaning the insides is all.

They look like they came from the factory that way. Avoid powder coating if you want an original look !

Beats $130.00 a wheel !!
john

:D
Can't wait to see your finished wheels John!
I'd love to try my dads methods on his '90 CHP. You can see how they look. Perdy right! :puke:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h340/Mustang_Kid84/90%20CHP/IMG_6883.jpg

If we restore them before paint, this car will look twice as ugly. It is in good hands now though:)
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h340/Mustang_Kid84/90%20CHP/IMG_6902.jpg

John10608
06-30-2012, 11:15 PM
yeah yerah yeah rub it in. I should never have gotten rid of that car.
Never thought about restoring a unit like I am now.

I don't think that car was one day out of the paint booth when i drove it off Motor transport's lot lol

i'd like to see that car back to patrol car condition.

get on it !!!