PDA

View Full Version : Well...I did it. See for yourself.

MOstang
10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
As you know with returning my 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP to in-service condition this past March, I have been using emblems purhcased from the MSHP mounted on magnets. Well I've been through a summer displaying my SSP with the magnets and after careful consideration decided to hard mark my car.

During the project phase I went through the process of having it stripped of the DARE B&W color and returned to original white from MSHP days. So it just seemed to make sense to hard mark to avoid the inevitable clouding of the paint the magnets seem to end up doing. While it did seem to be less stressful knowing emblems on magnets were in my trunk when driving, I have some white colored magnets that seem to work well using them to cover and hide the hard marked emblems.

It does seem to look pretty good hard marked, but you be the judge. The emblems were just mounted today and the weather is horrible so pardon the rushed picture without a nice pose and background. As a side note the emblems were (as ones I have on magnets) purchased directly from the MSHP supplier. Thank you.

ImEvil1
10-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Looks great, Mike, and glad you decided to APPLY DECALS to it. :2thumbs:

I'll make sure I add "hard mark" to the sites' inappropriate language filter. clown1

FHP813
10-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Permanently marked, forever marked, stuck for good...:thumbsup:

Looks great Mike.

(http://www.thefreedictionary.com/briefly)

28HopUp
10-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Looks great Mike!

:2thumbs:

rog50
10-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Mike it looks sweet. Wow cant wait to get started on one of my fhp cars.

MOstang
10-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks gentleman for the nice comments. It was real helpful having several in-service pics of my SSP since the MSHP were not consistent in where the fender emblems were located (front to back on the fenders). Dave C./Mike C./Eric P's old 1993 MSHP SSP, for instance, had fender emblems more to the door side of fender vs. toward headlight side of fender (mine).

Thanks again!

NoDrama43
10-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Looks good Mike. "applying decals" to the car is the finishing touch to an SSP restoration. Glad to see you went for it.

:)

Andy
10-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Some how the magnetic applied decals
(at a show) makes your car like you are
trying to make this MUSTANG look like
a police car. but the applied to the surface
says Gee .....maybe this WAS a police car??
http://www.free-imagehosting.com/out.php/i6875_untitled221a.JPG
i have found that most people have
any idea that Mustangs were used by any
police department.
Looks good Mike!

Texaspony87
10-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Looks good! Did you do it yourself? Mine were done by a "professional" as I could not stand the stress of "screwing them up" :). Wonder how my old car is doing? Have more room in the garage for my tractor now. My SSP tractor that is :)

ssp91ssp
10-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Looks KILLER , Mike!
great job!

bluesspcoupe
10-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Very nice, Mike! How long did you stare at the car before commiting to the job? Lol

NoDrama43
10-22-2010, 04:27 PM
If you lived it, you understand.

Joe that is perfect! Kinda cuts the wannabes off at the kneecaps. :2thumbs:

jpargo
10-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Mike your car looks great!

MOstang
10-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks again everyone! Believe it or not it was an idea I considered doing for quite awhile before actually taking to step of doing so. I had them professionally installed to mitigate the risk of my own foul up...didn't cost that much to have installed and the emblems aren't cheap, I'm afraid.

sspanthony
10-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Looks Good Mike !

MOstang
11-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Amazing fall that we're having here in Michigan. I took what I'm presuming will be the last great opportunity to get out and take some pics of the SSP with the new permanent marked Missouri State Highway Patrol emblems. Lucky for me I live behind a nice secluded park that provides a good opportunity to take photos. Promised above to post some better pics when I had them so here it goes. Enjoy and thanks again for all the nice comments above.

MOstang
12-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Having permanently marked my 93 MSHP SSP, I decided to write the MSHP Superintendent (Col.) requesting an updated permission letter. The original permission letter I obtained from the MSHP didn't give me ease of avoiding issues driving the car in Missouri even if the emblems were covered.

Figured it was a good time to ask for an updated letter since the MSHP has a new Superintendent (one who provied prior letter recently retired). Also my SSP received good press being featured in the MSHP Patrol News for being reunited with assigned Tooper (now Lt.).

An unexpected gift arrived in the mail on Xmas Eve. The MSHP Superintendent returned a new permission letter. This one is a little different from prior one in that it extend permission to me for as long as I own the car. Only requirement is the vehicle is used for appropriate display purposes and that the emblems be covered or removed when operated on public roadways. No problems covering them up so I am all set now.

Being from Missouri I can expect to have this SSP back there from time to time and I will feel much more relaxed knowing I have this letter with me. I appreciate having the support from the agency my SSP served. Those of us who own former MSHP SSP's are fortunate in that way as the MSHP is very supportive.

28HopUp
12-31-2010, 08:45 PM
That's very cool Mike!

ssp91ssp
12-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Congrats Mike!!!:2thumbs: