PDA

View Full Version : SSP Progress in 2010

MOstang
10-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Hello,

Thought I'd kick off a new thread that might be interesting to see how it takes off. It seems like quite a number of SSP's have a good deal of progress achieved with them in 2010. I would be interested to hear from those of you who have made good progress with your SSP (or SSP's) from the perspective of trying to return them to in-service appearance/specs.

I'll start with my 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP) SSP and 1989 Minnesota State Patrol (MSP) SSP. Back in March the 93 MSHP was returned to in-service specs. This took a little less than 2 years as I acquired all the correct equipment and had it stripped of the B&W DARE scheme paint and returned to all white paint. That being said I do have items on a list to continue improving upon this SSP, but nothing requiring any sense of urgency. The 89 MSP was substantially returned to in-service specs the end of July. It is difficult documenting how these were equipped, however, I've made alot of in roads in that regard. Most recently I've learned how the MSP mounted radar equipment in their SSP's and I will end up addressing that with my SSP. Also my MSP contact tells me (via MSP retiree who he believes was originally assigned to my SSP) my Mustang was equipped with an MDT. I've determined and acquired the right model, however, some lack of agreement on how/where they were installed in my SSP. I want button that down better before moving forward with installing. Like the 93 MSHP SSP, have other items on a list would like to do little by little to improve upon the 89 MSP SSP.

How about you? Please share information on progress you've achieved in 2010. It's alot of fun to monitor everyone's SSP progress. That's probably one of the most fun parts of tuning in to this website.

Texaspony87
10-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Mine is gone but not forgotten. :(

28HopUp
10-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Good idea Mike!

Most of the progress on CHP #8395 was done in 2009. I spent this year enjoying the car behind the wheel. :)

I have successfully found much of the original radio equipment, shotgun rack, first aid kit, animal snare clips. But in some cases I have only found a close substitute for what was actually installed. Case in point - the microphone I rec'd is not the right type. Also, the shotgun rack, albeit a CHP unit, isn't exact for my 4-eye SSP. So some modifications will be needed. That's not to say that I cannot install the correct pieces as they are found, so I plan to install the equipment this winter. I doubt that I will ever be "done" with this car. Even once the CHP restoration is finished (short of B&W paint and permanent marking the car), there will always be stuff to do with the car itself. As I continue to drive it, things will wear out. I know that rebuilding the motor will lead to detailing the engine compartment. One thing always leads to another it seems. But I'm having fun!

mbe2598
10-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Found the Sgt. (now an LT) over my car in Pencicola, Fl. Still dont know the trooper(s).

Found all radar & radio, period correct for the car. installed

Hard decaled the FHP.

Had a set of 10 holes powder coated

Drove it some 5,000 miles all over the US for shows (Mustang, OK, Indy, Asheville, NC, Colorado, Arkansas (2 twice) now sports 115,000 miles on car.

Bought a 91 Santa Clara SSP, shown twice at shows, garaged ,found all correct lights (back deck) not installed yet

Met many new SSP owners at shows & events, then I have in the past.

calimustang
10-29-2010, 10:34 AM
I will post mine up once i have it in my possession. :) I'm looking forward to have it in my hands.

Wolfe1013
10-30-2010, 01:36 PM
I obtained my first SSP...my 1982 CHP! I'm stoked to have one of the originals and have spent the year researching as much as I can. I'm waiting for the results from my application to the DMV for a history search. I started my equipment acquisition with an NOS Unitrol 131 headlight flasher, an item I figured would be the most difficult to obtain. She came with CHP spotlights and ball antenna mount that had been obtained by the previous owner. She needs a complete interior restoration and some wear items underneath, which is to be expected. It will be a labor of love spread out over several years with my tight budget.

Greg

NoDrama43
10-30-2010, 03:29 PM
In 2010 I aquired the 91 GSP, 92 Michigan, 90 Colorado, and 83 FHP cars which finished my collection. I also spent considerable time in the garagemahall building parts rooms, framing and running electrical wires, insulating and drywalling the storage/showroom area. Also located/purchased equipment for several different cars. Pulled the drivetrain from the 85 TXDPS and completed the total dissasembly process so it is ready to go to the paint man whenever I get around to it. Lastly I almost have the 93 FHP black unmarked car completed.

I don't have much time right now to work on cars as I am completing my masters degree, and working lots of overtime.

ssp91ssp
10-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Cool , Mike..

My Colorado SSP came out of storage after selling my USPS car mid year..Had the delaminated hood painted , powder coated wheels , new tires , clay / buff job .. buffed all the lights.

The biggest thing in 010 for us was attending the Colorado State Patrol event with the SSP and having Major Bratt present me the decal permission that took several months to get ok'd.:)
The CSP event was also our first ever police event/show to ever attend, this was also done with the great company of my 2 young boys.
Since the event our focus is on the police equip needed to get her back looking like a real CSP.