PDA

View Full Version : Copcarsonline Open House in Largo FL, Sat, Nov 6th

calimustang
11-10-2010, 02:06 AM
wow i sure enjoyed myself.

http://public.fotki.com/calimustang/2010-open-house/

also 3 new surprise restored additions to the museum, 3 are, 1988 FHP Mustang SSP, 1995 Nevada Highway Patrol Caprice LT1 9C1 and 1995 'the very last' Tx DPS Caprice LT1 9C1.

the video of them showing up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKTEOTt3EH4

TX DPS Caprice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgEhgbojzvk

Nevada HP Caprice front end only:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoSzZxAf-Q

Nevada HP Caprice, whole body turn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV4wd0lGJDI

1988 FHP SSP #0739:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNalyRLpChI

28HopUp
11-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for posting up all of those pics and videos! :D

NoDrama43
11-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Mark's dad has a nice collection of cars.

couldn't watch any vids as they were loading at snail speed.

calimustang
11-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Jim,

try it at non-peak hours, it's a lot quicker, they are a minute worth of video and is worth about 100 to 150 MB size.

It was a interesting experience to attend there unlike Silver Spring event where we first met years ago, it was full of classic ford and muscle cars and a handful of sweet SSP's there.

As i noticed on cop cars online website, more cars had attended last year than this year. I believe the cold scooted them away this year.

Texaspony87
11-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Nice pictures! Thank you. You want some cold..... come tour Michigan, we need the money. Deer on the move. Drive carefully. 1 in 79 chance of slamming one with your car :)

ABN2060
11-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for posting all the pics. Good to see the Alachua County Sherrifs Office car. I remember hearing about that shootout when I went to the police academy in Gainesville in 1997. I never saw the car but talked to some of the deputys that knew about it.

calimustang
11-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Yea, also have another P71 involved in shootout, bullets on the display, i counted 8, few of them hit the P71 on duty, it went through the windshield, the oil filter, through the radiator and disabled the patrol car. will take picture of it and post it on there next time.

mac88chp
11-14-2010, 04:43 AM
Thanks for posting the photo link MJ. I remember seeing that NHP Caprice at Ripon in '09, it was restored out here. I hope that CHP Diplomat isn't part of the collection...so many things wrong about that one it made my head ache!

ImEvil1
11-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for posting the photo link MJ. I remember seeing that NHP Caprice at Ripon in '09, it was restored out here. I hope that CHP Diplomat isn't part of the collection...so many things wrong about that one it made my head ache!

I hadn't noticed, but I went back and looked and saw what you are referring to.

The FHP Mustang is about as wrong.

MOstang
11-14-2010, 12:01 PM
MJ - Thanks for sharing the pictures and the links...looked like a fun time there.

calimustang
11-15-2010, 01:12 AM
How's that, Mike?
I hadn't noticed, but I went back and looked and saw what you are referring to.

The FHP Mustang is about as wrong.

calimustang
11-15-2010, 01:14 AM
HAHA! you are welcome.. Someone else owns it, you are right, they didn't get it right, purple len on rear deck! ugh! it's supposed to be blue but that owner might be paranoid by getting stopped by local LEO for having blue plus the lightbar, should be red/blue/white as period correct but.. i wonder why besides blue len isn't permitted in state of FL unless you are a LEO here in FL.

ImEvil1
11-15-2010, 01:33 AM
How's that, Mike?

Wrong decklights, headlight flasher, it's a slicktop, long list. It's a nice car, used to be owned by a couple of members here, but it needs a few things.

1jerryl
11-15-2010, 09:44 AM

I believe that CHP Diplomat was the car owned and restored by Jim Post. I recoginize the dual exhaust. And you are right Mike, not very correct....

Jerry
91 X-CHP #8990 (For Sale)
90 X-NCSHP Caprice
77 Nova 9C1
83 Malibu 9C1 (Coming Soon)

calimustang
11-15-2010, 05:44 PM
I was told that they are correct because i wanted to make sure it's period correct era for early FHP days of late 80s just in case my 89 SSP was a FHP but unconfirmed yet. What equipment was it supposed to have? Jetsonic lightbar that i know of.
Wrong decklights, headlight flasher, it's a slicktop, long list. It's a nice car, used to be owned by a couple of members here, but it needs a few things.

ImEvil1
11-15-2010, 06:59 PM
I was told that they are correct because i wanted to make sure it's period correct era for early FHP days of late 80s just in case my 89 SSP was a FHP but unconfirmed yet. What equipment was it supposed to have? Jetsonic lightbar that i know of.

Not really even close to being correct.

Check out the FHP Resto section....good info and pictures there (along with the in-service picture section).

calimustang
11-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Mike,

thank you for clarifying it. I could see big differences between the one i saw and the pictures in restoration pages on your site. Are the Whelen Dashmasters difficult to obtain?

ImEvil1
11-16-2010, 11:38 AM
MJ,

They are pretty easy to find.

CNTLOSE
11-16-2010, 05:27 PM

The FHP SSP was mine and Doug's (FHP0739) before me. It should not have any deck lights as they were not ran on them until around 1990...this car is a 1988. So if your car is a 1989 you more than likely should not have any deck lights. Check for the holes in the rear deck and that should give you your answer...pending it was not used by another agency when retired from the FHP. The one photographed was used by two other agencies after retired by the state.

From two FHP retired Troopers I have spoke with you were allowed to add lights to your car if you wished. So pending the light on the windshield is period correct one might have seen one on a FHP of that era. Each Troop was a little different as one inservice photo shows a red light on the front of a SSP (I believe it is also on a video for True Stories of the Highway Patrol). A retired LT from FHP told me when he was a new Trooper in the mid 80's they were told if they wanted red lights on their car, go join the fire department...so no cars out of their Troop had red lights.

Mark (Current FHP owner.) does have a correct style lightbar for the car as it was included in the deal. I imagine it will eventually be installed to bring it closer to 100%.

ImEvil1
11-16-2010, 06:35 PM
The FHP SSP was mine and Doug's (FHP0739) before me. It should not have any deck lights as they were not ran on them until around 1990...this car is a 1988. So if your car is a 1989 you more than likely should not have any deck lights. Check for the holes in the rear deck and that should give you your answer...pending it was not used by another agency when retired from the FHP. The one photographed was used by two other agencies after retired by the state.

From two FHP retired Troopers I have spoke with you were allowed to add lights to your car if you wished. So pending the light on the windshield is period correct one might have seen one on a FHP of that era. Each Troop was a little different as one inservice photo shows a red light on the front of a SSP (I believe it is also on a video for True Stories of the Highway Patrol). A retired LT from FHP told me when he was a new Trooper in the mid 80's they were told if they wanted red lights on their car, go join the fire department...so no cars out of their Troop had red lights.

The cars could have had decklights, depending on when/where/how long they were in-service for. MJ's car was more than likely NOT an FHP car.

The adding of equipment back then was frowned upon, and this information is from Troopers that I personally worked with, as well as department policy of the time. Obviously, there were variations, and supervisors who allowed it or weren't as strict in enforcing the policy. The pic below is from 1996.

ImEvil1
11-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Mark (Current FHP owner.) does have a correct style lightbar for the car as it was included in the deal. I imagine it will eventually be installed to bring it closer to 100%.

It looks like, if this is the car he bought "a few months ago", that it's as far as it's going to go.

MOstang
11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
...that it's as far as it's going to go.
Hopefully they fix the spelling error that I noticed. :D

NoDrama43
11-16-2010, 08:50 PM
"finishing details" ........ ?

here they are listed in order of importance:

1. make up crap to put on the sign.
2. check with Dad to see if the made up crap is ok.
3. put the crap sign on the car.
4. display car as marketing tool to help Dad sell more cars.

;)

CNTLOSE
11-16-2010, 09:50 PM
It looks like, if this is the car he bought "a few months ago", that it's as far as it's going to go.

I think when these photos were made they only had the car a few weeks...it has been just over a month now that we did the deal...so yes creative writing was done here...lol Also to make one thing perfectly clear 98% of what you see on the car was done by Doug (FHP0739) not me. I never have claimed that and I never will. The car actually went to New England before Doug purchased it. He restored it 8+ years ago and I bought it from him last summer.

I talked to a Joe Snowden who retired a LT a few years ago and a retired Captain at Indy last year...I do not recall his name. Snowden had three FHP SSP's and gave me the info that it was not until around 1990 that the deck lights started appearing.
These are two inservice photos and the one with the airplane is reported to be a 1988. Neither car has the rear deck lights or anniversay decals.
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/cntlose92/88_FHP_BTindle_3.jpg
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/cntlose92/JL_FHP_Jetsonic.jpg

I guess it would be possible for them to be added on later, but I doubt an '88 on it's way out the door would get them...but we all know how the government operates so anything is possible.
It should also have the anniversay decals on it, but I never installed them. (I was also told any car inservice during the anniversay year had the decals put on.) I had also purchased the correct dash masters but after learning my car probably did not have them originally I was just going to save them.

CNTLOSE
11-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Sorry...Doug goes by CHP3705 on this site.

ImEvil1
11-16-2010, 10:04 PM
I think when these photos were made they only had the car a few weeks...it has been just over a month now that we did the deal...so yes creative writing was done here...lol Also to make one thing perfectly clear 98% of what you see on the car was done by Doug (FHP0739) not me. I never have claimed that and I never will. The car actually went to New England before Doug purchased it. He restored it 8+ years ago and I bought it from him last summer.

I talked to a Joe Snowden who retired a LT a few years ago and a retired Captain at Indy last year...I do not recall his name. Snowden had three FHP SSP's and gave me the info that it was not until around 1990 that the deck lights started appearing.
These are two inservice photos and the one with the airplane is reported to be a 1988. Neither car has the rear deck lights or anniversay decals.

I guess it would be possible for them to be added on later, but I doubt an '88 on it's way out the door would get them...but we all know how the government operates so anything is possible.
It should also have the anniversay decals on it, but I never installed them. (I was also told any car inservice during the anniversay year had the decals put on.) I had also purchased the correct dash masters but after learning my car probably did not have them originally I was just going to save them.

That's the same info posted in the FHP Resto doc here, and the same info I've received from numerous Troopers. I'm not sure when that particular car came out of service, and you didn't post when those pictures were taken, but it's very possible that they were added to the car, depending on how long it was in-service. As an example, Jim Y's unmarked was with FHP for 10 years, and I'm sure saw many changes along the way. They were still selling '88s in 1993, as a guy that I EOD'd with at the city had just purchased one.

I never saw any cars running around with the anniversary decals in '90-'91. I think they were on the cars for the year and removed.

MOstang
11-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Cool pics Matt...I enjoyed seeing your old FHP at the Indy PCOOA event by the way...too bad won't be seeing again (at least not any time soon). Love that tan interior!

CNTLOSE
11-16-2010, 10:16 PM
That's the same info posted in the FHP Resto doc here, and the same info I've received from numerous Troopers. I'm not sure when that particular car came out of service, and you didn't post when those pictures were taken, but it's very possible that they were added to the car, depending on how long it was in-service. As an example, Jim Y's unmarked was with FHP for 10 years, and I'm sure saw many changes along the way. They were still selling '88s in 1993, as a guy that I EOD'd with at the city had just purchased one.

I never saw any cars running around with the anniversary decals in '90-'91. I think they were on the cars for the year and removed.

I gave Mark all the papers on her, but I think it came out of service in '90 or '91. Was sold to one Police agency and a few months later it was sold to Auburndale PD to be used as a SRO car. That was the best history I could get on her. The FL BMV pulled the micofiche title up and could not locate the unit number on it. The SRO who drove it was a LT for Clearwater PD when I talked to the one Captain at APD. He was going to pass my info to him, but I never heard back.

The pic with the plane I believe was took in '88 the other one I have no idea.

CNTLOSE
11-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Cool pics Matt...I enjoyed seeing your old FHP at the Indy PCOOA event by the way...too bad won't be seeing again (at least not any time soon). Love that tan interior!

Yeah, I miss looking into the garage and staring at her. The tan interior for being almost all original was very nice. It was a toss up on which one to sell but we are very happy with TX DPS...and at least we don't see 4 or more at each show...lol.

mac88chp
11-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I believe that CHP Diplomat was the car owned and restored by Jim Post. I recoginize the dual exhaust. And you are right Mike, not very correct....Ugh! That explains it...restoration is a very loose term for what was done to that car.

NoDrama43
11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
...it has been just over a month now that we did the deal...so yes creative writing was done here...lol Also to make one thing perfectly clear 98% of what you see on the car was done by Doug (FHP0739) not me. I never have claimed that and I never will.

Matt,

I wasn't ripping on you about the condition or correctness of the car my focus was on the "creative writing" concept.

just more dealereze to help sell another car. It's what they do.

CNTLOSE
11-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Matt,

I wasn't ripping on you about the condition or correctness of the car my focus was on the "creative writing" concept.

just more dealereze to help sell another car. It's what they do.

No problem Jim, I understand where you are coming from. I agree the real story would have been better... and true. I believe Doug should receive full credit for the restoration. The car from my understanding was in bad shape when he purchased her. Doug did a great job on the car and had it not been for personal reasons it would still be in my garage.