PDA

View Full Version : Question re: removing steering wheel

MOstang
11-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Hello,

From an earlier post asking about Dallas Custom Steering Wheel you may know I'm going get my 93 MSHP SSP steering wheel re-covered this winter.

Anything special I need to be considering up front before I remove the steering wheel? Is it as simple as disconnecting the steering wheel; letting the car sit in that fashion for a day or so (so I don't get an air bag in the face); unscrewing what holds the steering wheel on; assuming will have to disconnect some plugs once the steering wheel is pulled away (re: the air bag; cruise control; horn; etc.).

This will be my first time removing one of these steering wheels. Anything else I'm not considering before I dive into this one? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

ImEvil1
11-20-2010, 09:13 PM
You'll need a steering wheel puller....I got mine from Autozone and it's cheap, but works.

I can check the shop manual, but I think disconnecting the battery and letting it sit is a good idea. The last one I did was my '83, so no bag.

**EDIT** Forgot...yank the airbag module behind the stereo/AC controls if you want to be extra sure. I replaced one in the '92 I previously owned as it went bad and threw a code (flashing the airbag light). With that disconnected, I don't think it's possible for it to go off.

TR1
11-20-2010, 10:48 PM
I have never used a puller. I always loosen the center bolt (but not remove), then plant your feet on the floor board by the brake and gas. Use your legs and arms - pull as you rock the wheel side to side. It should pop right off.:D :)

CHP 3705
11-21-2010, 08:36 AM
I have never used a puller. I always loosen the center bolt (but not remove), then plant your feet on the floor board by the brake and gas. Use your legs and arms - pull as you rock the wheel side to side. It should pop right off.:D :)

That's exactly the same brand puller I use. LOL. Old junk yard trick. Doug

NoDrama43
11-21-2010, 10:25 AM
i use a puller and a hammer. put the puller on....put some tension on it then wack the puller bolt with a hammer. makes it easy to do.

stadair
11-27-2010, 11:13 PM
The airbag comes out real easy. I've done it a few times. Disconnect the battery ahead of time. I'd let it sit a minimum of 20 minutes that way for it to discharge. If I remember correctly, that is what the service manual states. Then there is just one plug to disconnect for the airbag inside the steering wheel.

MOstang
11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

sspanthony
11-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Have any trouble getting your steering wheel off or was it a pretty smooth removal ?

MOstang
11-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi Anthony - If you're asking me I haven't given it a try yet but will let you know. Thanks!

stadair
02-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Mike, did you ever get the steering wheel off? If I remember correctly, on Power Block TV, they had a short on how to do it. They didn't even use a steering wheel puller!

MOstang
02-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Hi Toshi - I haven't as yet I'll check out that video you mentioned.

smokin5.0
02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Mike, did you ever get the steering wheel off? If I remember correctly, on Power Block TV, they had a short on how to do it. They didn't even use a steering wheel puller!

Yeah....but all they do is do everything in advance and say this should happen like this and this is all you have to do....if only you could see all the hassle and cussing, would be more entertaining! ...lol :D

stadair
02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah....but all they do is do everything in advance and say this should happen like this and this is all you have to do....if only you could see all the hassle and cussing, would be more entertaining! ...lol :D

LOL. Most true! :-)