PDA

View Full Version : 85-86 Rim Paint

SSPGARY
04-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi Guys, justs wondering what type of black is used for the steelies. I was about to paint them gloss black but the original spare looks almost semi-gloss.
Thanks
Gary

86NeSSP
04-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Hi Guys, justs wondering what type of black is used for the steelies. I was about to paint them gloss black but the original spare looks almost semi-gloss.
Thanks
Gary

My original wheels are a semi-gloss black but they more gloss than semi-gloss. I just got another set powdercoated gloss black.

Matt

SSPGARY
04-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks Matt:) .

86NeSSP
04-20-2007, 06:56 PM
I will clean my original wheels up and set one of the powdercoated ones next to it and take a photo and you can be the judge of the paint.

Matt

86NeSSP
04-20-2007, 07:13 PM
OK maybe they have been repainted but they look to have been more semi-gloss now that they are clean and next to the powder coated wheel.

Here it is.

Matt

SSPGARY
04-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks Matt, I really appreciate your effort:thumbsup: ! That pic brings up another question, what lugs were original?
Thanks
Gary

predator20
04-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks Matt, I really appreciate your effort:thumbsup: ! That pic brings up another question, what lugs were original?
Thanks
Gary

Mine had the open long style like Matt has on his. Isn't there a cover that goes over the lug nuts themselves?:confused:

FlyinTiger
04-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Does anyone have a source for the sleeved lugs? I have never seen any for sale. I think they are harder to find than the center caps.

davidmidgley
05-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I maybe of some help here. The sleeved lug nuts were the same across the board for all Fords with the optional wheels. My F-150 has them, and I think that Ford still stocks this part. So, it might cross to the Mustang...

Just MHO.

ImEvil1
05-03-2007, 07:39 PM
David,

Can you post up a pic of yours for comparison?

FlyinTiger
05-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I maybe of some help here. The sleeved lug nuts were the same across the board for all Fords with the optional wheels. My F-150 has them, and I think that Ford still stocks this part. So, it might cross to the Mustang...

Just MHO.

I hope that you're right.

davidmidgley
05-04-2007, 05:36 PM
David,

Can you post up a pic of yours for comparison?

I would, but I am a bit disabled when it comes to posting pics. I'm still learning and will get there some day. Just not too high on my priority list right now. I take a break at work and get on the pc for some posting- mostly reading. Then back to work. Same at home. I am the remodeling contractor and only mover for the work at home...so not much joy at the pc there either. I did get a digital camera for last Christmas, and have learned a few things out of necessity. Just not quite to the point that I would put anything up just yet...

ImEvil1
05-04-2007, 05:52 PM
No prob....be interesting to see if they are the same.

jarhed123
07-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Here are pictures of my wheels, before and after, I painted them today. I used SATIN black paint from Rust-Oleum. Let me know what you guys think. I spent some time sanding the wheels prior to painting.

84oregonssp
07-21-2007, 05:20 PM
The satin finish looks right, the set I picked up a while back are oem finish not daily driven on (used for auto cross since new) and while they have a shine to them, you cann't see any type of reflection in them.

ImEvil1
07-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Looks good, Marcos......very, very close.

FlyinTiger
07-21-2007, 09:15 PM
You almost don't want to put tire weights on them after all that work.:)

mac88chp
07-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Here are pictures of my wheels, before and after, I painted them today. I used SATIN black paint from Rust-Oleum. Let me know what you guys think. I spent some time sanding the wheels prior to painting.Excellent job! :thumbsup:

Nothing beats the look of freshly refinished SSP rims that have been painted or powdercoated in the correct satin finish. I know some have opted to do them in gloss but that just wouldn't cut it for me if they were going on a full restoration. Keep up the good work!

jarhed123
07-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by FlyinTiger
You almost don't want to put tire weights on them after all that work.

I have thought about the weights on the rims and which ones I should use. The ones that go on the inside of the wheels sound nice but I know that in the mid-80's that was not available for state vehicles so I will go with the ugly outside/inside rim border weights.

jarhed123
07-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Any ideas from all of you would be welcomed!!