PDA

View Full Version : Need paint code for side trim moulding

28HopUp
03-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi Guys!

I did a search (both sites), but could not find the thread I was looking for.

Can somebody provide me with the SEM paint number for the side trim molding for a 1983? The date is not a typo. Back when I had my '85 re-done, I inadvertently gave the body shop the wrong number (for an '83). I need to find that number so the body shop can repair my bumper.

TIA

ImEvil1
03-23-2011, 03:43 PM
I'd do a search on 4eyed pride if you are a member there. I remember reading a thread there with that info.

28HopUp
03-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Mike, I just did a search on FEP, and I THINK the correct color is SEM 39143 (black), but the poster didn't convince me that it is correct. So I posted a thread on FEP and asked specifically.

ImEvil1
03-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Cool...let us know. :)

GSPI
03-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Are you looking for a factory or aftermarket color? I have the Factory, PPG and S-W paint codes for just about every car out there right now in my database.

If you are looking for trim offset color of black it's actually a flat black according to my chart. Let me know, I probably can find the factory color number for you.

28HopUp
03-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the offer! Back in 2009 when I had my SSP painted, I accidentally gave the body shop the SEM part number for a 1983 Mustang (black), instead of an 1985 (charcoal). Although I caught the error before the car was finished, I decided to go forward with the trim black. My SSP is back in the body shop. For some reason I couldn't find the forum/thread where I located that SEM paint number, so I am trying to match it. I failed to get a response on FEP, so I pressed forward with SEM 39143 - I'll let y'all know if I was right or wrong.

GSPI
03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Ok! Just let me know and I'll look it up for you.

28HopUp
04-04-2011, 09:10 AM
I went with SEM 39143 (black) with great results. It's nice to have the car back!

MOstang
04-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for you Bill.

GSPI
04-04-2011, 03:06 PM
So this is actually that 30% gloss type black, not quite flat but not glossy enough type paint right? Just curious as there are actual paint codes on the years for the car's trim that I've found but shows it to be "flat black". Is this actually a touch up job or are you trying to paint the exposed plastic/rubber area on the bumper to look like new? Just curious so when I buy one of these cars I can understand what you are talking about.

Thanks!

28HopUp
04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
It's for the thick molding that goes around the car for stopping door dings and such. On the bumper of my '85, it's actually a molded into the bumper, rather than something that is stuck onto it. The other molding pieces either stick on or bolt on to the body. The trim black color looks great, and is accurate for an '83, but I like the trim black color (satin) when a car is painted black. My car isn't 100% accurate in how I had it refurbished (I hate the word "restored"). The changes are subtle, but certainly could be reversed if necessary.

To show you the trim, here is side shot of the car -

http://www.mustangcollective.com/imagehosting/2774bc383fd22e83.jpg

GSPI
04-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Very nice car. I like the body style too. You guys do a great job on your "renovations" then rather than the "restorations" if you will. So is that the same color you use to spray the 10 hole wheels too or do you simply use body paint color only?

Thanks for the answers.

28HopUp
04-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks!

I don't think that the trim black is the same as the satin black paint I used on the wheels. They're similar, but not quite the same. My 10-holes actually came on my car when I bought it, but they were knicked up with pealing clearcoat. Being frugal, I sandblasted the wheels, then used a rattle can to prime and paint them. That was two years ago with frequent driving and they still look great. I will be installing the correct steel wheels and caps in a few weeks, so I'm excited about that.

In terms of "restoration" vs. "refurbish", that's just a personal gripe of mine. It's always bugged me when I see a car listed for sale or described by the owner as being restored, yet it's loaded with aftermarket parts and widgets. Call it a "Resto-Mod", cuz it's not technically a restoration.

And I'm not bad-mouthing cars like that - I own one myself! (rather, I'm its caretaker).