PDA

View Full Version : 1982 CHP Mustang E870255

Steve
04-08-2011, 11:45 PM
I wonder whatever happened to CHP E870255? Below is a picture of it, taken on February 21, 1984 at about 1 pm in the afternoon, on a very windy day. The location is in the Los Banos CHP area, on I-5 about 23 miles South of Highway 152. I am the CHP officer in the photo (age 27); this Mustang was my assigned vehicle. It was assigned to me in 1983, early in its career with the CHP. In this photo it has about 60,000 miles. Within a few months it had reached 70,000 miles, which in those days was when CHP took them off the road and sold them at auction. I was then assigned a new 1984 SSP Mustang.

I have often wondered whatever happened to E870255; it was a good car. I drove it fast, but never beat it up or was involved in any collisions and it was meticulously maintained. Everything we did in the Los Banos area was high speed; we covered a huge area consisting of parts of 3 counties. You could get an emergency call and it would be 70 miles away. Even at 120 MPH it still takes more than 30 minutes to get there. I drove this vehicle in more than one high-speed pursuit. Even with the 4-speed manual transmission it was no problem to manage driving, shifting, and using the radio because once the pursuit started in a wide-open area like this it was all high-speed in top gear. My favorite was one day just before noon I was pulling out of a roadside restaraunt East of Los Banos on State Highway 152, with a large to-go cup of coffee, ready to check the beat. I spotted a vehicle that caught my attention; I don't remember why but the important part is I turned on the red spotlight and attempted to make a stop. Instead the driver accelerated to 100 MPH and the chase was on. That chase went all the way into the Fresno area (about 65 miles), where additional units joined, and ended when the driver finally figured out he wasn't going to get away and just pulled over and surrendered. Turned out he had a high-bail warrant and just didn't want to talk to me that day. The best thing about this: 1)Nobody crashed and nobody got hurt, 2) I finished that large coffee and never spilled one drop!

Top speed for E870255 on level ground was 120 MPH. The top speed for the new 84 assigned to me was 137 MPH. E870255 was completely reliable, never broke down, and all the miles were highway miles. It was in perfect operating condition when turned in. Somebody got a good car. I probably could have bought it at auction but back then I just wasn't really thinking about it. Now I occasionally wonder what ever happened to it. If anyone out there has this vehicle and wants to know anything more about it, post here and let me know.

stadair
04-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Interesting story. Nice pic. Thanks for sharing. That would be awsome if someone came forward with info on the car.

ImEvil1
04-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Great pic, Steve and awesome story. Welcome to the site!

Rhino
04-09-2011, 12:25 AM
You never know - someone may surface with it sooner or later. I know that many of us with we could make contact like this, but the odds are just not in our favor given that most paperwork, etc. has been purged.

Good luck with reuniting with it. :D

28HopUp
04-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Steve, welcome to the site. Thanks for sharing your story and picture of the car! I hope your old car turns up and finds its way into your garage.

ssp91ssp
04-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Welcome , Steve... Great story and picture! any other pics???
Best of luck on your search... That's part of the fun in this hobby.:yes:

Steve
04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks, everyone for the welcome and encouragement. I have at least one other picture of this vehicle somewhere; when I find it I'll scan it and post. The pics were taken by the trucker who owned the big rig visible in the background.

If I ever found this vehicle and it was for sale I'd buy it and restore it, but if just for someone who had it and restored it I thought the picture and history would be useful. That's why I posted here when I ran across this forum one evening.

The Mustangs were a very fun and cool time in CHP history. They were used mostly in rural areas where high-speed operations and lots of miles per shift were typical. The lack of a push bumper on the front rendered them useless for pushing cars, which is a must on congested urban freeways. Most CHP area offices had at least one and they were highly coveted to drive. Los Banos area had several and I was fortunate to have an assigned Mustang the entire time I was there.

The 82 was fast but was not a muscle car. With the two-barrel carb it didn't have that extra kick when floored, so off the line it would accelerate fast through the gears but didn't have the extra punch. The 84 did, with different gearing (the 5th speed being overdrive), the 4 barrel, and additional horsepower. The 84 was a musclecar. The 82 was still fast and fun and I really enjoyed it.

The thing about driving these cars at high speed was you had to really pay attention and hang on to the steering wheel. Being so light and with a short wheelbase, they were much less stable than the big 440 Dodges (Dodge Monaco and Plymouth Satellite) used before the Mustangs and the Dodge Diplomats replaced them. The effects of cracks, potholes, discontinuities, irregularities in the roadway were magnified and would substantially affect stability at high speed. I believe the later Mustangs had improvements to the suspension to improve this but I can't say from experience as the 84 was the last one I drove.

As you can tell, I like talking about this and I believe the Mustang era was a unique time in the history of CHP and law enforcement vehicles. If you have any questions I'll answer them if I can.

MOstang
04-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Great stories to read and thanks for sharing them. It is these recollections and experiences that really add to this hobby niche. Welcome to the forum and I hope someone has info on one of your old SSPs.

Wolfe1013
04-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Steve, welcome aboard. I'm the proud owner of an '82 CHP Mustang that I picked up last summer. It's unit # was 0567. Does that ring a bell? I've been trying to find out as much about it as I can. It was retired and stayed in the Sacramento area for a while before moving to Colorado and changing hands a couple more times before I got it from a retired trooper friend. He painted it back to black & white from the yellow it had retired to. So, I'm working on a full restoration. Money's tight, so it's going to take a while.

I love your stories. Let's keep in touch. You're the first CHP officer I've encountered that drove the '82. I'll be waiting for the other photo. If you can tell us about any other details of the car, that would be great. Was there a variation in equipment for the '82s? Mine doesn't have the holes in the center of the dash by the heater and a/c controls for the bracket that held the mics and the top of the shotgun mount.

You'll find my car's thread under the 1982-1986 section.

Greg

Wolfe1013
04-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I didn't see the edit button to edit my post. Sorry, but I miss-spoke, my car's thread is in the Welcome section here... http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2950

You will find a couple other posts in this 1982-1986 section about my car.

I'm going out to do a little work on it now. :)

Greg

NHPcars.com
04-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Steve,

Welcome to the site. Good luck on locating the 82' and we'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for sharing the story and photo.

Mike

Steve
04-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Steve, welcome aboard. I'm the proud owner of an '82 CHP Mustang that I picked up last summer. It's unit # was 0567. Does that ring a bell? I've been trying to find out as much about it as I can. It was retired and stayed in the Sacramento area for a while before moving to Colorado and changing hands a couple more times before I got it from a retired trooper friend. He painted it back to black & white from the yellow it had retired to. So, I'm working on a full restoration. Money's tight, so it's going to take a while.

I love your stories. Let's keep in touch. You're the first CHP officer I've encountered that drove the '82. I'll be waiting for the other photo. If you can tell us about any other details of the car, that would be great. Was there a variation in equipment for the '82s? Mine doesn't have the holes in the center of the dash by the heater and a/c controls for the bracket that held the mics and the top of the shotgun mount.

You'll find my car's thread under the 1982-1986 section.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I don't know anything about 0567. The only reason I remember 870255's number specifically is because I wrote all that info on the back of the photo.

Now about the 82 Mustangs, as I recall all of the units on patrol duty were configured the same way. They had the bracket mounted to the dash that held the shotgun, the radio and PA mics, plus a metal plate on the far left with a clip on it to hold a small notepad (about 4"x5"). That note pad was very handy for writing something down while driving. This was the same setup as used in the other patrol vehicles in CHP use at the time, the Dodge Diplomat. It is possible that some of the Mustangs were used for other activites, perhaps in Sacramento HQ or a Division HQ and did not have the shotgun mount and this bracket. That could explain the absence of dash mounting holes.

Patrol Mustangs were all slicktops (no lights or light bars mounted on the roof), and they had a red spotlight on the driver's side, with the white spotlight on the passenger's side. The red spotlight was controlled by the switch on it's control/aiming arm. The white spotlight had a switch on its control arm, and it also could be turned on by a remote rocker switch mounted on the emergency equipment control head. This was useful because it was not practical to operate the white spotlight from the driver's side. So I would leave the spotlight switch on and just use the remote. During hours of darkness I would tilt the white spotlight up and forward and position it aimed at the height of a vehicle rear window, at about the typical distance between cars on a stop. The spotlight would be left in that position. Then when making a car stop, As I pulled in behind the other vehicle I would reach down and hit the remote switch, turning on the light. Using the spot of light as a guide, I would simply position the Mustang so the light was shining where I wanted it and stopped in that position. Never had to touch the spotlight control arm itself.

On the rear deck, the driver's side as I recall, were two rear facing floodlights, one red and one amber. The red light burned steadily when on, the amber flashed. These were controlled by rocker switches on the same panel as the white spotlight remote. The amber warning light, the "porch light" as we used to call it, was used mostly while driving at high speed or other emergency situations to let other drivers know you were doing something official, really a courtesy light. It was also originally intended in all patrol cars to be used as a warning light when you were stopped on the road but after a number of tragedies where drunk drivers crashed into stopped patrol cars on the freeway CHP did a study and figured out that something about that flashing amber light attracted drunks like moths to a flame. From then on it was recommended on a car stop not to use the flashing amber but instead shut it off and use only the car's normal emergency flashers (tail lights).That's why you would see so many CHP units on car stops on the freeway with only tail lights on or tail lights flashing. No flashing amber to the rear.

The red floodlight was supposed to function like a stop sign, meaning when you turned it on approaching traffic was supposed to stop. But nobody ever used it for that purpose because motorists didn't understand that and so it didn't work. The only time I (or anyone else I knew) ever used it when I was at an accident scene that was a hazard to approaching traffic and I had to quickly get all the lights I could facing to the rear to warn approaching traffic until I could get flares down or more units would arrive. You might have even seen a slicktop at an accident scene with the red spotlight turned to the rear; that was to get as many warning as possible facing oncoming traffic.

That was one limitation of slicktops (and so the Mustangs) in general; not much in the way of warning lights, unlike cars with the lightbars. Cars with lightbars also had both spotlights white, which was an advantage. But I wouldn't have trade the Mustang for any car with a lightbar; the Mustang was just too much fun.

870255 also had a multi-channel scanner mounted on the floor transmission hump, behind the radio and emergency equipment control head. This was something CHP did only that year, maybe as an experiment, I don't know. I don't know if this was just for rural areas, or all of them had it. I programmed it to monitor various frequencies, including the CB Truckers channel. And man, was that an eye opener! It didn't matter where I was, any time I got within binocular's distance of Interstate 5 the truckers knew it for 20 miles in all directions. Truckers exchange so much information; they know what's going on. It is a good thing, because if there is an accident ahead, they know to be cautious, slow down, and deal with it, even in the worst conditions. Or if something else is going on they can help, and they do.

I remember the time truckers helped me out, catching a reckless driver on I5 who had certainly stressed out and endangered quite a few other drivers before I spotted him. It was daytime, the roadway was wet from an earlier rain, and I had just pulled into a rest stop. I observed a vehicle pass by at a very high rate of speed and by the time I got 870255 rolling and past several other vehicles trying to get onto I5 in front of me the reckless vehicle was way ahead. I accelerated to 90, but the vehicle was pulling away fast. 95, still pulling away. Then 100. At 100 it was still pulling away; this guy had to be doing at least 115, and using all both lanes to thread his way through traffic. With a wet roadway, and a light rain adding more, I was not going to exceed 100 MPH. Maybe I wouldn't catch him after all, but I did not want to pose a danger to other vehicles myself just to catch this guy. I put it out on the radio, hoping there was another CHP unit or another agency closer, but this was in the middle of nowhere. Nobody else was within 30 miles...except for the truckers. They must have been talking about this guy and when they saw me going after him, they put it out on the CB. Two big rigs ahead positioned themselves side by side, blocking both lanes. The subject vehicle was forced to slow down as it reached them, and I was on it within seconds. Stop made, reckless idiot removed from the roadway, mission accomplished. If I would have had a CB I would have broadcast a huge thank you to those truckers, but I am sure they knew it anyway.

Hope everyone doesn't mind the story; if you don't like it blame Greg...he said he liked them!

ImEvil1
04-09-2011, 08:12 PM
We like 'em....keep 'em coming!

litsnsirn
04-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi Steve,
I just wanted to include another welcome from an '82 owner, E870366(as well as a '70). Good luck on your search and keep the stories coming.

Steve
04-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks again, really for the welcome and I hope the information and perspective I can provide is useful and interesting to members of this forum.

I found another one of the pics in the series of photos taken of the 82 Mustang at the same time the first one I posted was taken. The photos got separated over the years and mixed in with boxes of other old pictures I have been going through to find them. I'll scan and post it tomorrow; it is a clear shot of the the car itself.

In those days it was ten years before digital cameras and cell phones were available, and CD technology was still a newfangled thing. All that exists now are a few film prints from that time. It's time I find and scan them all so they will achieve digital immortality regardless of what happens to the old prints!

ImEvil1
04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Steve,

With your permission, I'd like to add the pics of your car to our in-service CHP gallery, located here: http://www.specialservicemustang.net/Gallery/CA.htm (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/../Gallery/CA.htm)

Also, if you get a chance, could you take a look at the CHP Resto doc located here: http://www.specialservicemustang.net/CHP.htm (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/../CHP.htm)

Any input that you can provide there that we might have missed would also be greatly appreciated.

I was at the show this weekend and only on the site via my phone, but I truly enjoyed your posts (and the pic) and I'm very glad you stumbled upon our site.

chp1982
04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Great stories Steve. Thanks for sharing!

Steve
04-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Here is another photo I located of 82 Mustang 870255. It was taken on the same occasion as the first one I posted. By the way, I should note that the correct number for this vehicle is actually 255,not 225 as I had originally recalled. 27 years will do that to your memory! In the interest of accuracy, Mike has corrected this throughout this thread.

A couple of interesting things for restorers; note the antenna mount. I have seen some discussion over the types used. Also, note the hook mounted on the driver's side edge of the roof. This was to hold the antenna if you wanted to bend it forward in an arc. I never did it, I didn't care for the look, a personal preference. I don't recall seeing that done more than a couple of times on any cars.

The passenger seat top and headrest look dark because I had my jacket draped on it; this was typical practice in cool weather because it kept the jacket close and available from the passenger side if you were going to be out of the car for a while, yet kept it from falling on the floor and getting dirty.

The mud on the side behind the front tire was from driving through the center divider of the highway to turn around. At that time, in February, the dirt center divider was wet and this would happen. That could probably be photoshopped out to give a perfect view of the Mustang.

Mike, you can use any of the photos as you like. I have TIFF format versions of them (lossless format) that I can email you if you want.

When I have time I'll check on the that list you wanted me to look at.

Wolfe1013
04-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Keep it coming, Steve!! Thanks for the photos.

I cleaned up my instrument cluster this weekend and replaced ALL 10 bulbs. One was out, so I replaced them all since they're a little more work than the others. Also cleaned up the cluster surround trim piece. Those vents were dirty!

Little by little, I'm making progress on mine.

Greg

chp1982
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
That is a fantastic picture! Being a huge fan of the '82's in particular, I really appreciate you sharing some of your thoughts and experiences while driving one.

Steve
04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Some of you may be curious about transportation of prisoners using the Mustangs. The Mustangs did not have wire mesh screens behind the driver's seat as you may have seen in other patrol cars. It would not have been practical to try to put anyone in the small back seat. With the Mustang, the subject (handcuffed) would be placed in the passenger seat, then wrist-wrapped with the seat belt. Wrist-wrap means the hands, handcuffed behind the subject's back, are brought to the right side (toward the door) and the buckle of the waist and shoulder strap is physically wrapped around the hands. It then goes across the subject's body in front and connects into the latch near the console, as it would normally do. I always preferred, in whatever car I drove in my career, to transport arrestees this way because I could keep an eye on them and wrist-wrapped and secured there wasn't much they could do if they were really unhappy but holler and maybe spit at you. To deal with that, I kept several large paper shopping bags in the trunk. If I had someone who was giving me a hard time, I would simply explain to them that they were going to be treated exactly as they acted. If they acted like a civilized human being, they would be treated accordingly. If they chose to act like an animal, that could also be accommodated. The shopping bags were for spitters; a shopping bag placed over the head renders that tactic useless. I only had to take a bag out, display it, and explain how it would be used and that always took care of any potential problem. Never actually had to use it.

870255 handled its share of arrestees; in a wide-open area like that, where you could be miles from the nearest civilization and backup you had to be prepared to do everything by yourself. You could not afford to lose control and let anything get out of hand or you could be in real trouble.

One summer evening, well after dark, I was patrolling on a two-lane state route when I came up behind a vehicle that was driving slower than normal and weaving, occasionally crossing the lines on both sides. I couldn't see much other than to observe there were numerous subjects in the vehicle, but it seemed very likely the driver was impaired. It was several miles to the nearest town, and I would have preferred to just follow this vehicle into town and make the stop in a well-lighted area where there was plenty of room. But I couldn't; this guy was driving so badly there was a chance he'd drift over the center line and take somebody out head-on, or go so far to the right he would roll down off the raised roadway and crash. I had to get him stopped. As soon as we got to a place that had some, if not much, shoulder area, I activated the red spotlight and flashing hi-beam headlights and managed to get the vehicle stopped. I made my approach on the driver's side and smelled the unmistakable odor of alcohol as I made contact. I also observed three other subjects in the vehicle that looked as though they were in a similar condition. I got the driver out and to the rear near my car. He was obviously seriously intoxicated; he was disoriented and confused as though things were happening too fast for him to process. Then I noticed the passenger's door starting to open as though he was going to come out. This I did not want; the situation was deteriorating rapidly. I quickly handcuffed the driver, searched him, and wrist-wrapped him into the Mustang. I went back to the driver's side, reached in and took the keys, then got back into my car. On the PA speaker I told the passengers to get out and start walking, then put 870255 in gear and took off like a bat out of hell before they even had a chance to all get out. The next day the vehicle was still there, minus its passengers. I think the long walk might have done them some good, maybe it helped them sober up.

As for the driver, he got to ride in an SSP Mustang! I'm certain he didn't fully appreciate it at the time, but now he has something to tell his grandchildren!

MOstang
04-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Love seeing the latest picture and hearing all the additional tidbits.

ImEvil1
04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I like the paper bag approach! I'll have to put some in my '82 when it's done. :)

I used to use the pull the shirt over the head method. Of course, that was only good if the person was wearing a shirt.

I seriously can't remember ever reading posts like this from someone who drove the early cars, much less an '82. Great stuff!

NoDrama43
04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
drooooolllll..........

great pictures, great stories.....thanks for sharing and keep them coming.. !!

Steve
04-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I have been thinking about how i might find 870255 and I came up with an idea. CHP Motor Transport in Sacramento surely has records of all these vehicles, including the VIN numbers. I believe most, if not all, State DMV records are linked by LE computer systems. If I go to Motor Transport, get the VIN, then run it, if the vehicle is registered it should come up.

I'm going to work on this. Wouldn't that be cool if it was owned by a little old lady who only used it to go to church on Sundays and was in excellent condition?

I'm thinking about posting another story. Either the Twilight Zone story, or perhaps how the SSP Mustangs, like their namesakes, could be used to round up cattle.

ImEvil1
04-12-2011, 10:50 AM
If you go there, can you please let us know? Several of us are still looking for our assignment cards. Another LEO (out of state) had mine pulled for #0559 and was kind enough to send me a faxed copy of it. Only problem is that it's mostly illegible. Another CHP employee has looked for it, but I heard it wasn't filed back correctly and couldn't be located? I'm sure it's still there somewhere, and a bunch of other guys would like to have theirs also. Maybe they'd be willing to give you the entire lot of 'em. :)

OSP959(R)
04-12-2011, 10:58 AM
I believe most, if not all, State DMV records are linked by LE computer systems. If I go to Motor Transport, get the VIN, then run it, if the vehicle is registered it should come up.

Imagine how bad it would suck if the car was entered stolen and the originating agency had a locate and contacted you to see if you had the vehicle in your custody.

ImEvil1
04-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Imagine how bad it would suck if the car was entered stolen and the originating agency had a locate and contacted you to see if you had the vehicle in your custody.

Yeah...most places will let you run it for a small fee, as long as it's for research purposes (with the appropriate paperwork). It differs in each state, but I figured that's what he meant (since he's retired), not that a friend was going to run it in NCIC (which violates policy and shouldn't be done).

GSPI
04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
I've seen LEEDS being used for that in the past when cars are being checked out for disposal which is borderline in my mind but is a good historical research tool not so much for checking for a current owner. I thought that California DMV had some tie in with emissions checks records and the VIN or tag number so if you get one or the other you might be able to see if the car is still in Cali.

ImEvil1
04-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Here is the online link to check smog records:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/mobile/SmogCheck.aspx?searchType=LIC

Unfortunately, the E-plate has been purged. Further, the site will no longer provide plates (current or historical)
**Note: "Display of both the VIN and plate number has been removed due to privacy concerns. Therefore, this information will not be reported back in the 'Vehicle Test History Report'. You may continue to look up a vehicle's test history using either the VIN or the plate number. However, the Bureau recommends using the VIN to obtain the most accurate results as a vehicle's plate number may change."

28HopUp
04-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I have been thinking about how i might find 870255 and I came up with an idea. CHP Motor Transport in Sacramento surely has records of all these vehicles, including the VIN numbers. I believe most, if not all, State DMV records are linked by LE computer systems. If I go to Motor Transport, get the VIN, then run it, if the vehicle is registered it should come up.

I'm going to work on this. Wouldn't that be cool if it was owned by a little old lady who only used it to go to church on Sundays and was in excellent condition?

Steve, if you can find the car's VIN, then you may be able to get some information on the car from California DMV. Check out this thread:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2676

In terms of going to Motor Transport, you (being retired CHP) may have better access than an out-of-state LEO or civilian to the Assignment Cards. I think many of the Mustang cards have been tossed, but some still remain. The source I've used in the past has about a 17% success rate in finding the original cards. So the odds aren't great, but it's possible. As a reference, here is a copy of mine (with the VIN removed):

http://www.mustangcollective.com/imagehosting/2774a9d3e779bb24.jpg
http://www.mustangcollective.com/imagehosting/2774a9aa52b7c2ce.jpg

If you can gain access to the Assignemnt Cards, it would be great if they would allow you to search through them to find all of ones for Mustangs (listed on the front of the card under "BODY") and pull those. That way they could refer any future inquiries to you rather than wasting time looking through them. I have seen the following years with these prefix numbers ahead of the unit number:

1982 E85_ _ _ _
1982 E87_ _ _ _
1984 E??_ _ _ _
1985 E40_ _ _ _
1986 E41_ _ _ _
1987 E42_ _ _ _
1988 E43_ _ _ _
1989 E??_ _ _ _
1990 E88_ _ _ _
1991 E38_ _ _ _
1992 E40_ _ _ _
1993 E89_ _ _ _

I've also seen exceptions to the above prefixes, but that's a general listing. If you can gain access to all of the cards, then let us know. I suspect that we could locate a member or two that would be willing to assist you in your efforts.

OSP959(R)
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Yeah...most places will let you run it for a small fee, as long as it's for research purposes (with the appropriate paperwork). It differs in each state, but I figured that's what he meant (since he's retired), not that a friend was going to run it in NCIC (which violates policy and shouldn't be done).

Well, that's what I was trying to indirectly get to.

When I started with the state, every Trooper had to be LEADS certified in case there was no dispatcher and you had to 'sit desk'. Using LEADS, NCIC, etc for non-official use is a major violation and miss use could result in the loss of your terminal. I don't know anything about agencies running something for a small fee. OSP was overly anal about everything. They'd probably put someone in jail for accepting a fee at the post to run something.

I think the important point here is, I don't want someone to get the idea that they can get their buddy Joe Cop to run something, and then have that officer get in a jamb trying to help someone out.

I have to admit though, if I wasn't retired, I'd be having a field day doing my 'own' research.

Steve
04-12-2011, 01:17 PM
All good information and ideas and you are right, unlawful access to NCIC is a no-no. I wasn't suggesting anyone do anything wrong or get someone else in trouble.

I'll see what more I can find out. If I can help anyone else with records, I'll do so.

mac88chp
04-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks much for coming up on this forum and sharing your experiences Steve. The history you are providing is beyond valuable and will live on with these cars. :cool:

I think you're on the right track with starting your research at Motor Transport. They were very helpful to me and I think they will be receptive to your inquiries, esp. if they would let you do the footwork with the records in lieu of them expending the effort.

My car spent it's entire service life in the Valley. First two years down in Bakersfield where surely it was no stranger to I-5 then almost 10 years back at the Academy as a training vehicle. It was sold still in its (mostly) original B & W finish. From the scratches I could make out on the deck lid, it was outfitted with a mag mount antenna which I'm told was used with a CB. Here are a couple of small in-service pics of one with a similar setup:

http://images22.fotki.com/v813/photos/4/438439/1947960/chp2-vi.gif

http://images21.fotki.com/v840/photos/4/438439/1947960/chp3-vi.gif

Steve - does the office location in these photos look at all familiar to you?

I also spent a ton of time in the early-mid '80s driving between the Bay Area and Fresno right through the Los Banos area. I have vivid memories of the Mustangs from your office and how I had to really work to keep from getting nabbed for speeding on those long and desolate streches of 152 that I mostly drove late night. Good thing I had young eyes back then and a thorough recognition of the forward light signatures for the Mustangs and Dips...saved me everytime! ;)

Well, I did receive a novel warning one night around the fall of '84. I was headed east just past the Dos Palos exit at about 70-75 when I caught a vehicle quickly entering the roadway about a mile back. In short order I recognized it was a smaller car and slowed right down to 65 then ducked into the slow lane at 60 as I could confirm it was a indeed Mustang as it closed in. The officer came up on me slowly in the #1, paused alongside as he passed and gave a quick on and off of the ruby right in my direction then he floored it into the night. I'll never forget that move and haven't seen it used since. Was that one you used?

ImEvil1
04-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Well, that's what I was trying to indirectly get to.

When I started with the state, every Trooper had to be LEADS certified in case there was no dispatcher and you had to 'sit desk'. Using LEADS, NCIC, etc for non-official use is a major violation and miss use could result in the loss of your terminal. I don't know anything about agencies running something for a small fee. OSP was overly anal about everything. They'd probably put someone in jail for accepting a fee at the post to run something.

I think the important point here is, I don't want someone to get the idea that they can get their buddy Joe Cop to run something, and then have that officer get in a jamb trying to help someone out.

I have to admit though, if I wasn't retired, I'd be having a field day doing my 'own' research.

Same here....we had to originally be FCIC/NCIC certified (with it I worked OT in the Comm Center when they were extremely short) and misuse was a big no-no. Eventually, everyone had to be certified when we went to laptops in the cars.

Many state DMVs will run them for a fee...NOT individual officers or offices. We did do inspections for compliance and collect fees ($8 "fix-it" tickets), but we'd only fill out the form and send them to the courthouse to take care of the fines.

Here is a link to FL's form, as an example (with their fee schedule):

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/85054.pdf

ImEvil1
04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
All good information and ideas and you are right, unlawful access to NCIC is a no-no. I wasn't suggesting anyone do anything wrong or get someone else in trouble.

I'll see what more I can find out. If I can help anyone else with records, I'll do so.

We know...we got you covered. :)

Any help you could throw our way would be greatly appreciated!

Steve
04-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Hello Mac88,

Can't say for sure where that CHP area office is, but the carports look much like those in the back of the Los Banos office.

When you mention Highway 152 East of Los Banos and Dos Palos it brings back lots of memories. Having driven through there, you know how wide open and vast that area is. I (and 870255) spent most of our time out that way. I used to cover that entire area, East to the Madera County line, plus Highway 33 South through Firebaugh all the way to Mendota.

Occasionally we would work on Interstate 5 or on the West side of Highway 152, from the Santa Clara County line at Dinosaur Point to Los Banos. It depended on how many units were available that shift. They tried to have at least 4 for the area on day shift. There was one day shift where I was the only unit 10-8 for the entire area because of court, vacation, and illness.

It was a very different place from the urban areas and because of the Mustangs it was special. In looking back I remember it as one of the most enjoyable experiences I had.

Steve
04-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Mac, regarding the red spotlight "warning', yes, that was one way to do it. Another way was to just pull up alongside and match the speed of another vehicle, and look over and give a nod. Or if someone was speeding but not enough for a cite pull up alongside and match their speed until they slow down, at which time you give the driver a stern look then accelerate away. All ways of giving a "white-door warning". I'm sure Mike and others in LE in this forum know all about these.

Steve
04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
I like the paper bag approach! I'll have to put some in my '82 when it's done. :)

I used to use the pull the shirt over the head method. Of course, that was only good if the person was wearing a shirt.

I seriously can't remember ever reading posts like this from someone who drove the early cars, much less an '82. Great stuff!

Glad you like the paper bag technique. If you put some in the trunk of your '82 it will be a great conversation piece when you show it!

Steve
04-12-2011, 07:54 PM
In a way not completely unlike their namesake an SSP Mustang could be tamed and used to manage cattle, harkening back to the days of the Old West...

One early morning while patrolling I was dispatched to Interstate 5 to check on a report of livestock on the roadway. Interstate highways are fenced on both sides to restrict access and especially in rural areas where livestock graze it is especially critical. Colliding at 65 mph with livestock will ruin your whole day.

Overnight a vehicle had gone off the roadway, through the wide shoulder area, and taken out about 50 feet of barbed-wire fencing. Probably someone fell asleep; lucky they didn't roll over which happened frequently. They were long gone and so only the physical evidence and damaged fencing remained to tell their story. Some nearby livestock had taken advantage of the opportunity to sample the grass on the freeway side of the fence and several of them were grazing about a hundred feet from the breach in the fence. I reported the damage and advised dispatch to contact CalTrans to get a repair crew out asap, then went to work on getting those cows back onto their side before they decided the grass in the center divider looked even better. Using 870255's siren and PA system and with some deft maneuvering I was able to safely herd them all along the shoulder then back onto their side. CalTrans soon arrived and took over and the safety of the motoring public was restored; the Mustang had done its job.

With a wave and a hearty "heigh-ho Silver!", I put 870255 in gear and we accelerated into the traffic lane, looking ahead to the next adventure...

alright, I added the "heigh-ho Silver' part for effect. But the rest of the story is absolutely true :-)

Wolfe1013
04-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Mike, have you made this a sticky thread yet? LOL It probably won't need it, but just in case... :)

ImEvil1
04-12-2011, 11:17 PM
It's already got a 5 star rating on it! I didn't even know we had a rating system here!!

xfhp-730
04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Steve.... The truck that is in the background on the first pic belongs to Hank Good. He is known all over the country as Highway Hank. He lives somewhere in NY, and still owns the truck. It was a famous show truck thru the 80's and used in a movie once. There is many pics posted on the net of that truck. Love the stories. Keep em coming!

xfhp-730
04-12-2011, 11:25 PM
And here is a pic of the truck taken back in the day that I found off the net. It is parked next to one of the original trucks used in the TV show BJ and the Bear. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.the-truckers-page.com/slideshows/misc/Tennesse-%2520HHH%2520with%2520BJ%2520%26%2520THe%2520Bear% 2520Truck.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.the-truckers-page.com/slideshows/misc/Tennesse-%2520HHH%2520with%2520BJ%2520%26%2520THe%2520Bear% 2520Truck.html&usg=__4iTi35rlu-NJcOJ1FkpmnkdZPw4=&h=419&w=700&sz=47&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=WOr8Pbn3JbQ5lM:&tbnh=102&tbnw=171&ei=LhelTe6ENcTh0gGX3IDBCA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhank%2Bgood%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1020%26 bih%3D567%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=313&oei=LhelTe6ENcTh0gGX3IDBCA&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=91&ty=69

Steve
04-13-2011, 01:45 AM
Steve.... The truck that is in the background on the first pic belongs to Hank Good. He is known all over the country as Highway Hank. He lives somewhere in NY, and still owns the truck. It was a famous show truck thru the 80's and used in a movie once. There is many pics posted on the net of that truck. Love the stories. Keep em coming!

Dang! The coincidences just keep coming. I knew that his name was Hank Goode, but I didn't know anything else. The day those pics were taken I had driven into the rest area (we were encouraged to patrol them) and got out of the car. I was on foot patrol, showing the colors; Hank asked me if he could take some pics of the car. He said he has a photo collection of patrol cars from all over the country. I figured, that's cool, he's a long distance trucker, no problem. I had no idea he was famous. The rest...is history!

Hank sent copies of the pics to the Los Banos CHP office, along with a nice letter. That's how I got my copies. I still have a copy of the letter. That makes the whole story even more interesting! Thanks very much for that information!

MOstang
04-13-2011, 07:38 AM
It's already got a 5 star rating on it! I didn't even know we had a rating system here!!
Me either until a couple days ago when the lit up stars above the thread caught my eye and so I proceeded to add my own 5 star vote to this thread as well! :2thumbs:

xfhp-730
04-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Your welcome, and thats an awesome story!

ImEvil1
04-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Me either until a couple days ago when the lit up stars above the thread caught my eye and so I proceeded to add my own 5 star vote to this thread as well! :2thumbs:

Learn something new every day. :)

I voted as well.

ImEvil1
04-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Dang! The coincidences just keep coming. I knew that his name was Hank Goode, but I didn't know anything else. The day those pics were taken I had driven into the rest area (we were encouraged to patrol them) and got out of the car. I was on foot patrol, showing the colors; Hank asked me if he could take some pics of the car. He said he has a photo collection of patrol cars from all over the country. I figured, that's cool, he's a long distance trucker, no problem. I had no idea he was famous. The rest...is history!

Hank sent copies of the pics to the Los Banos CHP office, along with a nice letter. That's how I got my copies. I still have a copy of the letter. That makes the whole story even more interesting! Thanks very much for that information!

Sounds like we need to get in touch with him.....I bet he has tons of in-service Mustang pics.

NoDrama43
04-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Steve,

great story about herding the animals...I have had to do that a few times myself over the years... Maybe some day I will recite the story of tying a dazed deer to my 82 Diplomat with my hobble restraint. Dumb rookies can make mistakes like that at times.... lol.. Believe me it was not pretty when the deer "came to"...

great thread here guys !!

Steve
04-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Steve,

great story about herding the animals...I have had to do that a few times myself over the years... Maybe some day I will recite the story of tying a dazed deer to my 82 Diplomat with my hobble restraint. Dumb rookies can make mistakes like that at times.... lol.. Believe me it was not pretty when the deer "came to"...

great thread here guys !!

I know what you mean about the deer, Jim. One time on patrol I came across one that had been hit by a vehicle and was down, in the roadway, not moving at all. I thought it was dead; I was calling for DOT to come out and remove the body. All of the sudden it got up and took off at warp speed. I can only imagine what would have happened if it had been restrained in any way!

Steve
04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Mike, shouldn't be hard to contact Highway Hank. He's on Twitter, Facebook, and MySpace. Here's a link to his website:

http://highwayhank.multiply.com/

He lives in Monticello, New York. He's probably got a fantastic collection of vintage patrol car photos.

Steve
04-13-2011, 08:12 PM
One night I was patrolling Northbound on Interstate 5, in the middle of nowhere. I5 in this area is a four-lane concrete freeway, two lanes in each direction, with a wide (about 40') dirt center divider and paved shoulders. At night during the week there isn't much traffic, mostly trucks, and so speeds tend to be high. In this area the road is almost flat and straight for about 10 miles in either direction. It was a clear night so I should have been able to see tail lights and truck running lights for miles ahead, framed by the bright starry night. But something was very wrong; dead ahead there was a black void. I could see the lights of approaching cars on the left, twinkling lights from the valley on the right, and the star canopy above. But immediately in front, at ground level, where the taillights of trucks should be seen, there was absolutely nothing. Just a void, an emptiness, as though someone had cut a rectangular piece out of a photo. This was beyond odd. What was happening on my beat? Was this a portal to another dimension? A wormhole in space? Was the next stop the "Twilight Zone"? I don't listen much to late-night talk radio and I'm not into UFO stories, but this was seriously weird.
As I continued, the void loomed slightly larger. Then it appeared I was getting close to something I could actually see. I turned on the high-beam headlights. The color of the void began to change from black to dark gray. Then I began to see shapes, lines...this thing wasn't a space portal, it was an object! But what? As I closed on it the answer was apparent: I was looking at the undercarriage of a 40' semitrailer, which had flipped onto its left side and was at rest completely covering both lanes at an almost perfect perpendicular angle. The trailer extended from the center divider all the way across both lanes and onto the shoulder, totally blocking the northbound lanes. The underside was dark and covered with road dirt, and with no lights on it was not readily visible to approaching traffic at a distance. The accident had apparently occurred within minutes because steam and smoke was still rising and I was the only one at the scene. I quickly activated every source of emergency light available plus the emergency flasher lights, and the red spotlight facing backward to give as much warning as possible to approaching traffic. I then located the tractor and verified that the driver was okay. I reported it to dispatch and called for a big rig tow asap then laid out a long flare pattern that merged traffic into the number one lane, then into the center divider and around the wreck. By the time the flare pattern was complete there was so much light there it could be seen for miles. Approaching trucks were coming in slow and careful; I'm certain the CB channel was busy.
I again contacted the driver who exited the cab by breaking out what was left of the windshield. He was shaken but unhurt. He had fallen asleep and the rig jacknifed, coming to rest on its side. It took both the medium and big rig tow trucks available in Los Banos to get the rig back onto its wheels and off the highway. Fortunately no one was injured and no other vehicles became involved. I felt very fortunate to have been first on the scene, in a position to immediately stabilize the situation and reduce the danger. I could just imagine a car with some family coming back from a long day at Disneyland, driving fast to get home, perhaps sleepy, rolling up on that hazard and seeing it much too late. It still gives me chills to think of what tragedy easily could have happened that night.

ImEvil1
04-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Mike, shouldn't be hard to contact Highway Hank. He's on Twitter, Facebook, and MySpace. Here's a link to his website:

http://highwayhank.multiply.com/

He lives in Monticello, New York. He's probably got a fantastic collection of vintage patrol car photos.

Thanks....I'll shoot him a message and see what he says. :thumbsup:

I've always worried about the kind of accident you described above....I think that they are one of the most dangerous you could ever roll up on.

Cobra Jet
04-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi Steve,

For your interest -

There was this 82 CHP that was listed just months ago on many Mustang forums, including this one (and it has sold as of March 2011). It was pretty much an original unit purchased right from CA. The below link has pictures of it and despite it's age & condition, it was in really great condition.

I'm not sure how the Seller's CHP # 0513 would correlate with an "E" number though...?

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3042

Thanks for sharing your pics, stories and info, definitely really interesting!

Wolfe1013
04-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Cobra Jet, that would be E870513. Mine is either E850567 or E870567. Don't know. My assignment card got lost in the mail. :(

Steve
04-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi Steve,

For your interest -

There was this 82 CHP that was listed just months ago on many Mustang forums, including this one (and it has sold as of March 2011). It was pretty much an original unit purchased right from CA. The below link has pictures of it and despite it's age & condition, it was in really great condition.

I'm not sure how the Seller's CHP # 0513 would correlate with an "E" number though...?

Hi Cobra Jet, I think I saw that one (too late). Well maybe 870255 will show up, or Mike will decide to sell his '82...

Wolfe, your vehicle I believe was E870567. I am guessing that the E plate numbers were sequential, and as '82 was the first year, the E850 numbers would have been before the Mustangs. Guessing again, I'll say E850567 was probably a Dodge Diplomat.

Doing some math, and assuming 567 was the very last '82 Mustang, and since CHP bought 406 '82s first would have been 161. Could not have been all the way back to E850 by that reasoning.

I think I have one more pic of 870255, taken from the front. When (if) I find it I'll post it.

-Steve

Wolfe1013
05-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Hey, Steve. My car served with yours!!! E870567 served out of Los Banos (461).

My assignment card arrived in the mail today. I thought it was lost forever.

E870567 entered service 03/28/83 and retired 04/04/85.

Any way you could help me pin down the car's driver since you worked with him/her?

I'll post more in my car's thread.

Greg

Steve
05-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Hi Phil,

I think 0513 would have had a plate number of E870513. I'll check out the link.

Glad you liked the stories.

Steve

Hi Steve,

For your interest -

Steve
05-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Hello Greg,

That's a real coincidence. As I recall we had 3 or 4 Mustangs assigned to Los Banos since we did so much high speed work there. I used to put anywhere from 100 to 200+ miles per day on a vehicle as the area was big.

I remember all the guys that worked there, but I don't know who had what vehicle assigned by number. If it wasn't for the photos I wouldn't have remembered 870255. That was 27 years ago...But you know, every once in a great while I will stop by the office in Los Banos. If I can get by there in the daytime I'll go in and identify myself and see if they have any records. A shot in the dark, and I don't know what info they will release if any. But I'll give it a try.

That's very cool that you have an '82.

Hey, Steve. My car served with yours!!! E870567 served out of Los Banos (461).

My assignment card arrived in the mail today. I thought it was lost forever.

E870567 entered service 03/28/83 and retired 04/04/85.

Any way you could help me pin down the car's driver since you worked with him/her?

I'll post more in my car's thread.

Greg

Wolfe1013
05-26-2011, 10:53 PM
That would be appreciated more than you will ever know, Steve. This just ramped up the excitement 100x.

I'm in contact with the former driver of my Colorado State Patrol Camaro and it would be great if I could find out more information on the '82 CHP and maybe find it's driver.

Steve
07-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Hello Everyone and happy July 4th!

Today I was able to stop in at CHP Motor Transport during business hours. I go right by it twice a week, but almost always late at night. What I was looking for was any help or information on identifying the early Mustangs. I identified myself and the staff there was very friendly and helpful. Robert Reed was not there, and neither was the person who maintains a filing system of cards for vehicles. So what I was able to find out:

1. CHP has a Fleet management system that is computerized, but it goes back only 11 years. Couldn't help me there.
2. We put in a call to DMV in Sacramento, but their records only go back 8 years for vehicles that are no longer registered or Non-operation notified.
3. DMV has a historical office in Sacramento that was once able to help Dick Clark (the celebrity) get info on a vehicle from the 1950s.

So I'll go back again when Robert Reed and the other guy are there and see what I can do. Then I'll head to the DMV historical office. Mike, I will be looking for 0559 info also, and Wolfe, next time I go by the Los Banos area office I'll stop in there and do some research for you.

One more thing: it has been mentioned somewhere here that the current ex-CHP vehicles are really not worth buying because they are thrashed. That is so true; if you were thinking about a run out Crown Vic, forget it. There is no longer any set mileage for turning in vehicles, now they drive them until they fall apart. I saw about a dozen of them sitting in the sale lot, and they sure looked like it. About the only thing they looked to be useful for is taxicabs in Tijuana.

ImEvil1
07-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks Steve...we definitely appreciate the help! Happy 4th to you as well.

Wolfe1013
07-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Yes, thanks, Steve!! It's a start and any progress is good. I'll be glad to get any information from Los Banos that I can.

Happy Fourth!

Greg

28HopUp
07-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Steve, thanks for taking the time to stop into Motor Transport in your search for historical documentation on the CHP Mustangs. I hope that you can connect with Robert Read on your next visit. Your efforts (and stories) are very much appreciated.

NoDrama43
07-02-2011, 07:49 AM
I will pm you the particulars on my 1982 also to see if you can find anything for me too.

Steve
07-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Just got back into the San Jose Area after a long July 4th weekend (lots and lots of guests, BBQed all weekend) so before I hit the rack I thought it might be time for another story.

I was working Graveyard shift one weeknight in the Los Banos area with a partner. In those days, Los Banos had only one unit to cover the entire area on Graveyard shift, and as were all CHP Graveyard units, it was a 2-man unit. Being it was such a huge area to cover, and only one car, you would never have time to check all the beats. So the focus would be on checking the 70-mile stretch of Interstate 5 that was in the LB area, responding to radio calls, and as for all Graveyard units, looking for drunk drivers. Except that on I5 there were never many drunks. Especially during the week, it was mostly just truck traffic.

So we're checking the beat, going S/B on I5 from State Route 152 about 15 miles S/of 152, in the #2 lane at 75 MPH, when suddenly another vehicle comes flying up behind us, gets on our bumper, and stays there. I was driving a marked unit, a Dodge Diplomat, with a light bar, black and white paint, decals, everything. So I figure this is a motorist trying to get our attention, probably to report an emergency up the road somewhere. I'm waiting for flashing high-beams, or anything, to indicate this. Not that we're excited about pulling over in the middle of nowhere and having another vehicle pull in behind us, in a tactically very disadvantageous position. But it happens.

But this one just stayed there, on our bumper, nothing else. So I accelerated to 85. He stayed right with us. I slowed down to 55. He stayed on our bumper. Now we're getting interested; this is either someone who is very seriously impaired, or he's got something very bad planned. By this time we were getting close to Panoche Road, the last gas exit for 40 miles or so. The exit goes to a large, well-lighted area with several all-night gas stations and some restaraunts. This was a good place to exit and see what happened. As we exited sure enough the other vehicle followed. As we turned onto Panoche road I suddenly swerved to the right and onto a large paved shoulder area just to see what the other driver did. My partner had the shotgun; we're ready for anything that may happen.

Then the other vehicle passed by and the solo white male driver never even looked over at us, appearing to not even be aware that we were there. He pulled into a gas station and stopped at the pumps, exiting his vehicle as we pulled in behind and lit him up. As you may have already guessed, the driver was very intoxicated. He had never even noticed he was tailgaiting a marked patrol car and in fact did not see us as he passed by. For his lack of perception and attention to detail, plus violation of CVC 23152(a), he was provided with complimentary lodging in the Los Banos city jail for the night.

The story was unusual enough so after the arrest report was reviewed everyone knew about it. For the next month or so we heard, over and over again: "You guys can't even find any drunks, so they have to find you?"

Wolfe1013
07-05-2011, 08:39 PM
This reminds me of that episode of Real Stories Of The Highway Patrol where the officer witnessed someone overtaking him from behind at night, then matching his speed. He sped up and slowed down in the same manner as you, then pulled over to let the car go by. He pulled back out, made the traffic stop and wrote her a ticket. She was NOT drunk, as I recall. Just not too bright. LOL

Steve
07-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Last Friday I stopped in again at CHP Motor Transport and talked with Robert Read. With his help I was able to get the assignment card for 870255, which has the VIN number (and it is accurately listed in the VIN database area of this site) plus the history, sales price, all relevant dates, color painted (blue) and other info. So now I have enough info to start the search in earnest.

I was also able to get the assignment card for NoDrama43's '82, which I will be sending to him next week.

So a huge thank you to Robert Read!

Now this is getting more interesting. I thought I had hit a brick wall but a door opened up.

Wolfe1013
07-23-2011, 06:00 PM
That's great news, Steve. That would be so awesome to reunite you with your car. And cudos for finding another '82 assignment card. Yours, Jim's and mine exist...anyone else?? Mike's is out there somewhere.

Best of luck in your search.

ImEvil1
07-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Great news...thanks for your efforts and good luck tracking down your '82.

Mustang Kid
07-24-2011, 02:23 AM
One more thing: it has been mentioned somewhere here that the current ex-CHP vehicles are really not worth buying because they are thrashed. That is so true; if you were thinking about a run out Crown Vic, forget it. There is no longer any set mileage for turning in vehicles, now they drive them until they fall apart. I saw about a dozen of them sitting in the sale lot, and they sure looked like it. About the only thing they looked to be useful for is taxicabs in Tijuana.

That is because the CHP crushed all of their parts cars and wrecks, even cars with minor damage, so they now don't have the parts to keep their cars going.
Btw my dad has an 82 CHP mustang #0300, any info you find just shoot me a PM and let me know. Thanks,
Sam.

NoDrama43
07-24-2011, 02:40 AM
I was also able to get the assignment card for NoDrama43's '82, which I will be sending to him next week.

So a huge thank you to Robert Read!

Now this is getting more interesting. I thought I had hit a brick wall but a door opened up.

Steve I want to thank you for taking time out from your day to do this for me. I am very excited to see if their is any "tail hook" information on the card. I was able to confirm 425 as being Sonora CA. I will do some more research after I get the card from you.

If I can ever be of any assistance please contact me. I have a huge favor to return now !!!!! Great stuff !! :)

Andy
07-24-2011, 08:37 AM
It's called pay it forward Jim
You have done good things for the ssp community
and in return the ssp community has done a good
thing for you.:)

Steve
07-25-2011, 04:26 AM
That's great news, Steve. That would be so awesome to reunite you with your car. And cudos for finding another '82 assignment card. Yours, Jim's and mine exist...anyone else?? Mike's is out there somewhere.

Best of luck in your search.

I'll work on Mike's next. I also need to learn how to decode the information on those cards. There are various symbols and notations that it is not apparent what they mean.

28HopUp
07-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Steve, I think that it is GREAT that you were able to successfully connect with Robert Read and find the Assignment Card for the SSP that you drove while in-service. Good luck in trying to track the vehicle down. Hopefully, you can use the VIN to run a CarFax and determine where the car is located.

And I would like to thank you for volunteering your time to go to Motor Transport to look for the cards for other SSP owners. It sounds like there are still some hiding there, although most cards from that era are probably lost forever. Still, thanks for doing that!

Steve
07-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I am glad to help others in this forum when I can. If I find my car I'll probably be needing lots of advice and assistance for restoration. If we all work together we can get some good things done.

Is Carfax the best way to locate a vehicle nationally by VIN? I ran the VIN through the California DMV smog records with nothing back, so wither the car was put into storage and non-oped and never smogged in California, or perhaps went right to an out of State buyer.

What would you guys recommend for a National search by VIN?

Steve
07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
So my assigned '82, the one I am looking for, has a VIN number of:

1FABP10FXCF213124

At sale time, it was painted blue and had a vinyl top added.

There it is! If anyone knows where this vehicle is, you'll have a friend for life here in California if you let me know.

Another interesting factoid about this vehicle: It went from Sacramento to Central Division HQ, where it was for 2 months before being assigned to Los Banos area in January 1983. That's when it was assigned to me and I drove it until August of 1984, which is when it was sent back to Motor Transport for sale (and I was assigned an '84 Mustang). So except for a brief stop at Central HQ, I drove that vehicle for its entire time in the field and was the only one who drove it regularly for road patrol.

Steve
07-25-2011, 02:48 PM
I ran the VIN through the California smog check database and it came up. It was smogged in February, 2001 in Sonora, CA. It passed. So I know at least at that time it still existed and was in California.

NoDrama43
07-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Got the scans of my assignment card 2 day. Good stuff. I will post it up tonight when I get home.

Thanks again steve.:2thumbs:

28HopUp
07-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Steve,

Don't bother with CarFax. I ran your VIN, but there were no records after 2001. :(

Date.......Mileage. Source.................Comments:
06/09/1982..........NICB...................Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original dealer

09/11/1997..........CA Motor Vehicle Dept..Title issued or updated

12/26/2000......88..CA Inspection Station..Failed emissions inspection
....................Twain Harte, CA

12/26/2000..........Service Facility.......Vehicle serviced

02/01/2001...1,053..Service Facilitye......Vehicle serviced

02/05/2001...1,072..Service Facility.......Vehicle serviced

02/05/2001..........CA Inspection Station..Passed emissions inspection

Steve
07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks Bill. I have the name of the facility in Sonora it was last serviced at, and I am going to contact them later.

FWIW, attached are the assignment card scans.

mac88chp
07-25-2011, 04:54 PM
I ran the VIN through the California smog check database and it came up. It was smogged in February, 2001 in Sonora, CA. It passed. So I know at least at that time it still existed and was in California.It may very well still be up in that area and currently registered too. As long as there has been no change of ownership, it won't show up in the smog database as biennial registration certificates are not required in Tuolumne County. I'd start my search in Twain Harte and work out from there. Good places to start contacting are local car clubs, auto parts stores and garages. Try to make contact with anyone who might remember seeing, hearing about, having serviced or knows someone who owns or had owned an ex-CHP/police/cop Mustang.

mac88chp
07-25-2011, 05:01 PM
http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3233&d=1311626679

Wow, they paid a whole $225 to repaint your car. Perfect illustration of what you got with that service - not much! :yes:

The installation of a vinyl top is interesting, wonder how many of those they did?

28HopUp
07-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I think the number shown in the row for a vinyl top is actually the total $$$ spent on the vehicle reconditioning/repaint.

NoDrama43
07-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Correct. Mine is the same. The paint and repairs add up to the vinyl top price.

Steve
07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Well, the search for 870255 has come to an end. Didn't take long; the vehicle still exists---or at least part of it does.

I called the shop that last smogged the veh in 2001, and they were able to put me in touch with the owner. I called and talked with him, and he still has the car. Or what's left of it.

A number of years ago, he was driving on a mountain road at night when a fox ran out into the road into his path. He swerved to avoid it and struck a concrete utility fixture, severely damaging the body and suspension. Being unibody construction, there wasn't much he could do with the body. He pulled out all the running gear and put it into another 1982 Mustang body. He says it was a lot of work, but he liked the car so much he did it. Along the way, the car has been through three transmissions and two differentials. Yeah, they had fun with it (sounds like they ran it a lot harder than I did). He bought the car from his Nephew for $300 in 2000. Can you imagine that?

Anyway, I am going to visit him, see the car, and show him the pics. But at this point, I'm not feeling like trying to buy it or do anything with it. I think a completely new body takes it out of the restoration realm. Really, only the engine is the same at this point. I juts don't see how it can be worth it.

What do you guys think?

ImEvil1
07-25-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm glad you were able to find out about the car, but sad that the news wasn't better. If anyone deserved to find and restore it, it was definitely you.

Appropriate that it was another story from you as well.

I'd try to buy it, just for the engine. I'd clean it up, mount it on an engine stand, and keep it in my garage on display.

chp1982
07-25-2011, 07:17 PM
I am really sorry about that. I suppose the chances were slim that any of it still existed but I do hope you get to salvage something from it, if not the whole car. Best of luck.

28HopUp
07-25-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd try to buy it, just for the engine. I'd clean it up, mount it on an engine stand, and keep it in my garage on display.

I tend to agree, but you'll need to see the car for yourself to determine if you think the damage is repairable or not. Bring your camera with you to take pictures. It is a very special car to you, so you will need to determine how much you're willing to take on. If it is too far gone, ask the seller for a momento.

ImEvil1
07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
I tend to agree, but you'll need to see the car for yourself to determine if you think the damage is repairable or not.

I think the original car is gone....and the drivetrain from it was swapped into the car Steve found.

Wolfe1013
07-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Steve, I'm really sorry to hear how the story turned out. But what a quick search it was. About the fastest I've heard of.

You've found a new family here and we welcome your input as much as you can provide. Maybe he saved something that you can have as a momento to add to your photos, or maybe you can buy what's left.

Keep us posted on your reunion. This is the opposite of what I've always heard and done - the driver is searching out the car. I'm searching out the driver. Found one - my Colorado State Patrol Camaro - now I need to find the other one for my '82 CHP.

I missed my '95 Mustang GT so much that I ran a carfax on it a few years ago. It sat for a while at the dealership, then finally sold and went to Mississippi. It was reported stolen, then recovered with moderate damage. It sat idle for at least a year or more, then finally was registered and titled again. I was heartbroken. I took such good care of that car and had the inside looking so new that the dealership didn't have to do anything to ready it for sale when I traded her in. I don't know that I would want to see her today. Part of me really wants her back and if I had the space and the funds, I would track her down. It would be a tearful reunion and restoration.

So, best of luck to you.

Greg

mac88chp
07-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Too bad it's gone but at least now you know. If you do find another '82 and restore it you can always plate it with your old number for display purposes. Not exactly like having the original back but it's an avenue you can take nonetheless.

28HopUp
07-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I think the original car is gone....and the drivetrain from it was swapped into the car Steve found.

Gotcha - I read his posting wrong. Steve, maybe you could use the original motor in the restoration of another 82 CHP?

Steve
07-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions. I feel kinda depressed tonight, like there was a death in the family today.

I didn't ask the owner if the wrecked body was still around. But even then, if I could straighten it out, I'd need new running gear. With a complete different drive train, it's not quite the same.

I suppose now I could look for the '84 Mustang I was assigned. I don't have a plate number for it, but if it is the one listed on 870255's assignment card as the replacement, I could perhaps find it. But I only had that one for a few months before I transferred to the San Jose area, and left behind the SSP Mustangs on duty forever. So it would be a fallback plan, but still not quite the same as the '82.

28HopUp
07-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Hang in there Steve! It would be nice if you could find the original body. Many times, these cars were dismantled because it was cheaper to swap the parts over to another car than it would be to repair the damage. However, cars like this sometimes can be saved these days, especially if the car has "value" (which this one certainly does for you).

There are various symbols and notations that it is not apparent what they mean.

Here is my understanding of the various symbols/codes on your Assignment Card:

CHP Office Assignment - Here is a listing of CHP offices (http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/docs/873_81007_Geo.pdf). Looking at the front of your card, your car was originally assigned to 401 Central Division Fresno (perhaps 450 Madera office). It was transferred to 461 Los Banos on on 1-27-83.
R.F. Color - Orange would the color code used in the area where the car served. Here is a link for all of the color codes (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=995) (keep in mind there may have been changes since the 1980's). ORG2 correllates with Madera and Los Banos.
EQUIPMENT - The square with the dot in the middle allegedly means the car was a slicktop.
SCHED. # - no idea what this means
PR DATE - no idea what this means

Hope that helps a bit.

Steve
07-26-2011, 02:01 PM
This morning I called the owner again and asked him if the body was still around. He got rid of it about a year ago. I am just too late again on this one. If I had found this site a year ago, I might have been able to get it!

So if I go visit the owner, I will probably ask where the body went to. Maybe it still somehow exists. I would probably put the extra work into fixing it, because of sentimental value if it existed.

Mustang Kid
07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Anything is fixable with the right amount of funds. If you did find the body, IMO I would buy it for the sentimental value and try to fix it. Hope you find your cars shell.

28HopUp
07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I agree with Sam (Mustang Kid). Even if you had to buy it with a salvage title, it wouldn't matter. The car has value to YOU. That would be one heck of a save on your part if the car was located and picked up by you. As much of a story-teller as you are Steve, resurrecting that car would be an incredible story. (I'm trying to keep your enthusiasm up)

Steve
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
This next Saturday (7/30) I am going to the Sonora, CA area to visit the owner of 870255's engine. I am going to find out if somehow, someway, the body still exists. If it does the possibility exists to salvage it. Then perhaps make the owner an offer on the '82 with the engine and get that back. I'd probably end up putting far more money into it than the finished restoration would be worth. But it would be a unique story. maybe get it on a reality TV show. Call it "SSP Mustang Archaeology".

If that doesn't work I'll hold a funeral ceremony for 870255 (lots of tears for sure) then start looking for the '84 I drove in Los Banos.

GSPI
07-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Steve, a really touching story of a man in search of his lost stallion....

I think we got the story line, might even have a video guy that could produce this too!

I admire your determination to get this done. I look forward to a positive end for this story, then again, it seems that you will continue to seek out the cars that you've driven. As a police car historian, this is a great story and should be a real nice restoration when you are done no matter what.

Good luck on your search and hopefully your journey getting there is pleasant!

Andy
07-27-2011, 06:24 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/366c2

Mustang Kid
07-27-2011, 07:39 PM
This next Saturday (7/30) I am going to the Sonora, CA area to visit the owner of 870255's engine. I am going to find out if somehow, someway, the body still exists. If it does the possibility exists to salvage it. Then perhaps make the owner an offer on the '82 with the engine and get that back. I'd probably end up putting far more money into it than the finished restoration would be worth. But it would be a unique story. maybe get it on a reality TV show. Call it "SSP Mustang Archaeology".

If that doesn't work I'll hold a funeral ceremony for 870255 (lots of tears for sure) then start looking for the '84 I drove in Los Banos.

If the body is gone but you can get the engine (and you dont want to create another car around the engine), you can do a full resto on the engine, then paint an engine stand black/white along with smaller than normal "highway patrol" decals on and the cars # brushed on it, and take that to shows (it would be very interesting, at least I think it would be:yes: ) as it is what is left of an actual 82 CHP. That would be a nice way (along with stories :) ) to preserve what is left of the car:thumbsup: . Thats my idea for the motor.

Steve
07-30-2011, 09:04 PM
It is time to declare 870255 officially deceased. It was an organ donor, with it's engine residing in a nondescript 82 Mustang, but the rest is gone forever.
There's really nothing more I can do about it. I have exhausted all possibilities.

chp1982
07-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Sorry Steve. At least its engine and stories are going strong. Thank you again for sharing.

GSPI
07-30-2011, 10:05 PM
That is sad news on the '82.... any leads on the '84?

calimustang
07-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Steve, it's like losing a family member.. i do feel for you. How about '84?

Thanks for those in service stories, it truly inspires me!

Steve
08-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone, again for the encouragement and moral support. My next stop will again be motor transport, in an attempt to see if the replacement vehicle listed on 870255's assignment card just might be that 84 I was assigned in Los Banos. If so, and I can get its VIN, I'll look for it. I have some other information requests to work on and next time I go by the Los Banos area office I certainly will stop in and get some info there for Wolfe.

What makes me saddest of all is the thought that 870255 met such an inglorious end. Ended up in the hands of owners who never appreciated or cared what it was or about its history. It was just another pony car to them that they rode hard and put away wet. Could have done that with any generic fast car. They were careless with something of value that could have been a museum exhibit. I was even thinking, after full restoration and showing the vehicle for years, of donating it to a museum, like the CHP Museum at the Academy, when I got too old to do anything more with it. Now that will never happen.

MOstang
08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Best wishes on your search for another one. Sounds like you had some real nice plans for the one with the unenviable end...unfortunately many SSPs and old police cars have met a similar unglamorous ending, I'm afraid. Like you said from people who just didn't know, or appreciate, or care, what they had. :headscratch: :banginghead:

mac88chp
08-01-2011, 08:19 PM
What makes me saddest of all is the thought that 870255 met such an inglorious end. Ended up in the hands of owners who never appreciated or cared what it was or about its history. It was just another pony car to them that they rode hard and put away wet. Could have done that with any generic fast car. They were careless with something of value that could have been a museum exhibit.Yes, it's sad but true that way too many of these old ponies were driven to death by folks that just viewed them as cheap speed once they completed their primary purpose in life. The alarming attrition rate observed for these cars was one of the factors that gave impetus to the formation of the original SSP interest group in the late nineties. One of the goals formulated was to ensure the history and documentation of the breed was saved with the second to provide encouragement and to facilitate the preservation of as many actual examples as possible for posterity.

That work is being carried on right here and elsewhere and to that end, I hope you'll join in and find a special unit out there that you can call your own and ultimately contribute your part to this cause. I spent 2 years finding the right car, 5 years hunting down parts and restoring it and the last 5 years showing and sharing it and have never had more fun or learned more things in my life.

Steve
01-07-2017, 02:42 AM
Now that I have two '82s to work on, I have been getting much more active in the SSP hobby and thought it might be time for another Mustang story or two. So as I think of them I'll post in this thread again from time to time.

chp1982
01-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Excellent and keep the updates on both coming!

Steve
03-24-2017, 05:03 PM
0255 lives! Well, vicariously, that is...through 0327. I had some repro plates made for 0255, so when 0327 is finished it can "pose" as 0255 from time to time. Since 0255 is known to have been destroyed, this is the best I can do. It is a happier ending to the story than before.

calimustang
03-24-2017, 07:50 PM
awesome!

Steve
03-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Too bad it's gone but at least now you know. If you do find another '82 and restore it you can always plate it with your old number for display purposes. Not exactly like having the original back but it's an avenue you can take nonetheless.

Mac, your suggestion was a great one and is what I am doing!

NoDrama43
03-25-2017, 10:04 AM
those plates are fabulous...... I am going to see if he can do Florida and Michigan...

MOstang
03-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Who did you use for the plates?

Steve
03-25-2017, 04:04 PM
They were made in Germany. The seller is on eBay. Here is a link to their ad. This ad is for California plates, but if you go to their eBay store they have others:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272520682761...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They look great! Aluminum, size is correct, mounting holes correct.

If you order from them:

1. Be sure to order qty 2. I assumed they meant a set; they mean $40 for one.
2. When you complete the Buy it Now part, in the message to seller, that's where you put in the plate number you want.

About 12 days later you'll have them.

Steve
03-25-2017, 05:02 PM
For some reason that link/post is now down. As recent as yesterday it was up. The seller has an ebay store, though.

Steve
03-25-2017, 05:24 PM
This is their ebay store:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/license_plates_shop_com?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

MOstang
03-26-2017, 06:48 PM
Thanks...I'm sure this will be of interest to some CHP vehicle owners, since CA came down on the Platemeister and they quit selling.

NoDrama43
03-26-2017, 07:46 PM
I sent this vendor pictures and information for every plate I need for my SSP cars. He is going to look at everything and get back to me possibly tomorrow. His prices are reasonable and he is confident he can probably do most anything. I will be very excited if he can replicate the Blue and Gold MSP 1130 plates I need for the 89.

I sent the information directly through his email address and not through the ebay system.

ImEvil1
03-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Jim,

Shoot me his email...I'd like to see if he can do an old FHP plate for the '85.

MOstang
03-27-2017, 06:27 PM
I sent this vendor pictures and information for every plate I need for my SSP cars. He is going to look at everything and get back to me possibly tomorrow. His prices are reasonable and he is confident he can probably do most anything. I will be very excited if he can replicate the Blue and Gold MSP 1130 plates I need for the 89.

I sent the information directly through his email address and not through the ebay system.

:2thumbs:

Steve
03-27-2017, 08:16 PM
I haven't posted any stories for a long time, but after getting those plates, and working on 0327 today, I feel inspired.

One hot summer afternoon, July or August, 0255 and I were patrolling on freeway Interstate 5 when I decided to stop a speeder. We were in the middle of nowhere, 30 or 40 miles from civilization, so there was no fill or backup available anyway, but since the subject vehicle had an out of state plate I gave dispatch my location and asked for a rolling check for wants as we prepared to stop the vehicle. Within seconds dispatch came back that the vehicle was reported to be stolen.

I activated the red spotlight and to my surprise, the violator yielded almost immediately to the shoulder and stopped abruptly. 0255 was not even completely stopped when the sole-occupant driver exited the vehicle and took off running into an almond orchard next to the highway. I put out that I was in foot pursuit, yanked 0255's parking brake on and took off after him. He had a couple hundred feet head start as I headed into the orchard. It was a very hot day, 105 degrees in the shade, and although I was wearing the short sleeve shirt, I was also wearing a protective vest. Soon I was sweating like a toad and although I was young and in very good shape, I was running out of steam in a short time. I knew this was going to be an endurance event. There was really nowhere to run or hide; whoever gave up first would lose. Fortunately I could keep the perp in visual sight as I closed on him, and the trees weren't big enough to give him a chance to hide and ambush me if he had a weapon. Finally, he became exhausted and collapsed flat on his back in the dirt. As I ran up to him I could see him laying there, beet red, soaked with perspiration, gasping for breath. He didn't have the energy left to fight if he even had wanted to. He gasped "Just go ahead, shoot me!"

"Nope", I replied, "Way too much paperwork." I rolled him onto his stomach, cuffed him, got him up on his feet, searched him, then began the march back to 0255. Towed the recovered veh, then we headed to Los Banos city jail.

From the time the foot pursuit started until the time we were back must have been 20 minutes or more. Both the subject veh and 0255 had sat there on the shoulder, running the whole time. I wonder how that must have looked to passing traffic, the two vehicles sitting there with no one around, no one even in sight. I was glad no one stopped to take 0255 for a test drive. The truckers probably knew what was going on, they always did...for 20 miles in each direction.

chp1982
03-27-2017, 08:47 PM
These cars have amazing stories but most are unknown. Thanks for sharing so many of yours.

NoDrama43
03-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Lol...great story. I was ina few foot pursuits in my career. If I didn't get them in the first hundred yards...I didn't get them at all. Even the fat ones.....lol

28HopUp
03-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Thanks for sharing that story! :thumbsup:

Steve
03-28-2017, 11:45 AM
Lol...great story. I was ina few foot pursuits in my career. If I didn't get them in the first hundred yards...I didn't get them at all. Even the fat ones.....lol

Yes, every once in a while we talk about that when I am working in LE. Now that I'm older if they want to run, they're gone. Bring in the tracking dogs. Foot pursuits are a young man's job...

NoDrama43
03-28-2017, 04:02 PM
Yes, every once in a while we talk about that when I am working in LE. Now that I'm older if they want to run, they're gone. Bring in the tracking dogs. Foot pursuits are a young man's job...

I had four foot pursuits in 2008.

All drunk....REAL drunk....I got all four but was only 100% that year because 9 years ago my agency still allowed us to use the Taser on mopes running from us. That changed after CPD tased a guy running and he fell on the pavement and broke out all his teeth...

The very first time a Taser was used in my department was when I Tased an idiot on the roof of a house because he was refusing to come down. Watching him roll off the roof and fall into a bunch of thorny rose bushes will be forever etched in my brain. His screams were epic......like music to my ears....

Of course the paperwork was endless....and the excessive use of force investigation sucked.....but the local news channels provided us with some awesome video.....

the last 8 years of my career the only "foot" pursuits I participated in were the ones where the mope ran down the road and I could drive my car....

Steve
04-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Mac88chp posted some photos of wrecked SSP 0391 today. Looking at those photos reminded me of a summer evening in Los Banos when 0255 (and me along with it) almost met our end by traffic collision.

It was evening on Interstate 5, about two hours left until sunset, traffic was light, when I observed a motorcycle stopped on the shoulder ahead. As I pulled in behind I noticed the rider had some tools and was working on it. I exited and asked if he needed any assistance; I'd be happy to call for a tow or give him a ride into town (about 25 miles) if that would help. He declined, stating that he had the tools and was sure he could fix it and would be on his way soon.

I returned to 0255 and seat belted in, then was making an entry into my activity log when I looked up into the rear-view mirror and observed a vehicle partially in the right lane approaching, at freeway speed, that had drifted about 3/4 of the way onto the shoulder. The driver was looking to the right and down, was distracted, and apparently had his left hand on the steering wheel so when he turned and looked to the right it caused the wheel to steer slightly to the right and now the vehicle was coming directly at us at freeway speed. I knew that the small, lightweight Mustang did not have enough size and mass to protect me from such an impact. I knew that when it hit it was going to be all over; we were likely both finished. As the errant vehicle approached, I had only enough time to say "Oh, shit!"... and then, miraculously, at the last possible moment in time the driver looked up and saw what was about to happen. I'll never forget the look of surprise and terror on his face as he yanked the steering wheel to the left. The vehicle fishtailed, with the rear end swerving toward us, but the change in direction was just enough so that it didn't hit 0255. The driver overcorrected to the right and his vehicle again went almost sideways, in the other direction. After a few more swerves he got it under control again. I composed myself and immediately chased it down and made a stop. I needed to know why this happened; perhaps this driver was impaired.

He pulled over immediately. As I made contact, the driver was visibly shaking. Frankly, I don't know who was more traumatized; me or him. I said, "We both know what happened back there. Why?" He stammered and began apologizing profusely, stating he had dropped something onto the floor on the right side and was leaning over to pick it up and didn't realize his vehicle had drifted. He was obviously not intoxicated, and his documents checked out, so I told him I didn't think he needed a lecture on paying attention and avoiding distractions; the point had already been made. He then went on his way.

I walked back to 0255, waiting patiently as always, and I thought again about how close we had come. 0255 would have been destroyed, and if I hadn't been killed I probably would wish afterwards I had been. Even if I survived it would have been the end of my career and just about everything else. I needed a large coffee after that so we headed North to the Santa Nella truck stop, contemplating the meaning of life the whole way.

chp1982
04-16-2017, 09:25 PM
Close call! I have yet to hear of an officer being seriously injured in an '82. I am waiting on the newspaper article about the 0391 crash to find out what exactly happened.

28HopUp
04-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Yikes! I'm glad the driver was able to react in time.

mac88chp
04-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Yikes, glad you dodged that bullet. I would have also needed a change of undershorts afterwards!

Steve
04-17-2017, 11:05 PM
That was by far the closest I ever came to being killed by traffic. There were other potential times, but I was out of the vehicle and could see it coming and was able to get out of the way.

CHP trains hard and always emphasizes to be aware of traffic. That's the main reason for the passenger-side approach on freeway car stops.

That evening in Los Banos there was absolutely nothing I could do. I was not exaggerating when I said in the story that I thought it was all over, we were done.

MOstang
04-20-2017, 06:07 PM
Very scary!

Steve
04-30-2017, 06:11 PM
I took 0327 out for a drive today to shake off the rust and the experience of being behind the wheel of an 82 SSP again brought back many memories, including the time 0255 and I stopped a speeder who attempted to assault me, later filed a complaint, and ultimately was thwarted by state-of-the-art technology that was way ahead of its time in light of the body camera debates and deployments we are seeing today. How’s that for an intro?
It was just after noon, a sunny day, 0255 and I were working on the East side of the Los Banos area, rolling Westbound on State Route 152 about 20 miles East of Los Banos, when we observed a high roller pass by heading Eastbound. A “high roller” is a speeder moving greatly in excess of the speed limit; there is no exact definition but 30-40 mph or more is about right.
We accelerated to the next cross road and made a U turn, then went after him. He apparently had not seen us as he passed by because he continued at high speed; I had to peg 0255 at the top end (~117 mph) to overtake the vehicle and it still took 4 or 5 miles. I had only a visual estimate but between 90 and 95 was about right. He slowed and took the exit ramp to another State highway and I was on him; made the stop on a wide gravel shoulder area and walked up to make contact on the driver’s side.
The driver was an older, very large (heavy) man. It was strange; instead of just rolling the window down he opened the driver’s door about halfway and turned to face me as I approached. My cheerful “Good Afternoon” was answered with a string of obscenities: What is my problem, why the hell am I stopping him, etc., ad nauseum. I immediately reached down to my belt and turned on my microcassete tape recorder, state-of-the-art technology at the time, to capture the audio of this event. I let him run his mouth until he seemed to be temporarily finished, then asked for and got his registration and license. I walked back to 0255 and wrote out the citation. I returned and, standing in the open V of the door, handed it to him. A few more curses; I explained to him that he did have to sign the cite, if he wanted to contest it he could do so in court. To my surprise he did sign. I was thinking this was too easy, but then things took a turn for the worse. He pointed to some open space in the body of the citation and said “I’m going to write right here that you’re a goddammed liar!” I told him that the citation was an official court document and that he could not do that. He replied “Oh, yes I am!” I said “No, you’re not!” and reached down to remove the cite book and my pen out of his hands. He held on to them and a brief struggle ensued. I yanked them free and stepped back. Enraged, he shouted another string of obscenities as he turned even more in my direction and attempted to kick me with his right leg, coming across the front of his body and past his left leg. It was ridiculous, he was slow, and I simply stepped out of the way and watched as his foot flailed in the air.
Technically, he had assaulted me, and I could have arrested him. But he simply wasn’t worth it. If I arrested him I’d have to wrestle with him and he’d probably have a heart attack then I’d have to do CPR or explain why I didn’t. I had the signed cite. I tore off his copy of the citation, dropped it into his lap, and walked back to 0255. I could hear him shouting all the way back to 0255.
I didn’t think anything more about it until about 3 weeks later; my Sergeant told me “we needed to talk”. “Mr. Smith”, it seemed (the name is changed to protect the guilty) had come into the office and filed a citizens complaint against me. This was the high-roller from a few weeks back. Mr. Smith had already provided his version of the narrative: He was minding his own business, driving at the speed limit, when for no reason I stopped him. To make matters worse, when he protested that he had done nothing wrong and I gave him the ticket anyway, I physically assaulted him, then threatened him.
I told the Sergeant my side, then produced the audio tape of the incident. I had captured the entire event. He took the tape and said he’d get back to me.
A few days later the Sergeant gave me back the tape. He said he had listened to it carefully, then contacted Mr. Smith and asked him to come back in. At that meeting he asked Mr. Smith to go over his version again, then asked some questions. Mr. Smith, apparently emboldened and thinking he had me on the ropes, laid the BS on even thicker. When he was finished it almost sounded as though for no reason I had practically beaten and left him for dead along the roadway. The Sergeant played the tape for Mr. Smith’s benefit. Mr. Smith’s normally-red face turned ashen. Then, as the Sgt. told me, he essentially threw Smith out of the office. I never heard anything about it again, and the complaint was classified “Unfounded” which is CHP’s way of saying it was BS. But I was sure glad I had that microcassette recorder. It saved me a lot of trouble. In today’s society body cams are essential imo.
That was the one and only citizen complaint I ever received in my 5 years with CHP.

MOstang
05-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Holy cow! It's great you had that "technology"! Love the stories.

Steve
05-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Yes, it was a glimpse into the future and as primitive as it was comparison to today, it did its job and saved me that time.

But there was at least one other technology in use, at least experimental, way before that. I was looking at the website CHP Radio Systems and was impressed by the CHP's experimental "dash cam" from the late 1930's shown in the pic below. I applaud their willingness to apply new technology, but no wonder this never saw deployment.

I could just imagine stopping the high roller, then telling him "Hold on, I gotta go start the dash cam".

Then knowing that I have a limited amount of cam time, perhaps telling him "Hurry up and get all of your cursing done because we're about out of film" (assuming it had audio). Or even "If you're going to do anything crazy, like try to kick me, could you hurry up? There's only 90 seconds of film left!" LOL

Unmrkd
05-05-2017, 09:11 AM
That was quite an innovation for that time. Looking at all the interior - the "Safety" features we enjoy just were not there. Can you imagine a roll over with no belts or bags??? WOW!

I do like that uniform and man oh man what a hat.:thumbsup:

28HopUp
05-05-2017, 11:09 AM
For some reason I missed your latest story. Thanks for sharing! :)

Steve
05-05-2017, 09:51 PM
That was quite an innovation for that time. Looking at all the interior - the "Safety" features we enjoy just were not there. Can you imagine a roll over with no belts or bags??? WOW!

I do like that uniform and man oh man what a hat.:thumbsup:

The spartan interior, the harpoon-style steering column, and the hat...that hat...Ralph Kramden would have given anything for a hat like that, and Barney Fife would be jealous!

Steve
05-20-2017, 01:05 PM
I can't do much else while 0327 is in the shop; so I was thinking about a week or so ago when I was driving 0327 at night to fill up on gas and we ran over a skunk. Not intentionally, but the varmint ran out there and despite evasive action it was history (took 3 days for the odor under 0327 to go away).

But that reminded me of the time when 0255 and I surprised a group of roadkill-eating birds in Los Banos. "Surprised" because they weren't expecting a vehicle to roll up on them at the speed we typically operated when doing a beat check.

I’ve racked up a lot of windshield time, on a lot of roads, and have seen plenty of roadkill. There are certain places where there is more than usual and one of those is State Route 152 about 25 miles west of Los Banos, CA. SR 152 comes down from the hills past a large water storage and hydroelectric facility then flattens out for about 5 miles. In one section of this flat stretch there are prairie dog holes everywhere on both sides of the highway. As you can guess they liked to cross the road and some never made it. So there was always plenty of roadkill available for local scavenger birds, and it attracted many. Various birds; the smaller ones would fly in and get what they could until the bigger vultures or hawks, whatever they were, would come in and take over. What always amazed and entertained me was how the birds were quite used to feasting on the roadkill as vehicles approached at high speed and would wait until the last possible second, as if on cue, all flying away at precisely the same time and somehow avoid impact. How do they do it? Is it an evolved feeding skill? Do they like to play chicken?

One hot afternoon 0255 and I were making a beat check. Traffic was very light, we were cruising at 85 mph; mirages danced above the roadway ahead, and the roadkill feeders were out in force. I could see a group of several large birds feasting in our lane ahead; these were big, ugly birds perhaps vultures. We were bearing down on them fast and I marveled at how casually they pecked away at the roadkill, looking nonchalant even as their fate approached at 125 feet per second. Just as we were about to hit them they bailed but perhaps due to our higher speed their calibration was a little off and they were late. They just barely made it over the top of 0255’s hood except for one. He flew right into 0255’s grill. There was a loud bang and a cloud of feathers went up. I looked at the rearview mirror and saw the bird landing in the traffic lane among a swirl of feathers.

When I got back to the office I inspected 0255. I figured it might need a new grill because the impact was considerable. Large gobs of feathers were stuck in the grill, but fortunately there was no damage. After cleanup, 0255 was good to go again.
The irony was not lost: the roadkill hunter had become the roadkill.

Steve
07-23-2017, 05:54 AM
This is off-topic so moderators, feel free to delete this post if you wish. I saw the new CHIPS movie last night. Now I remember well the 1977-1983 TV series, and while I thought at the time it was campy and a little goofy, plus unrealistic, it was harmless. And it did nothing to discredit the CHP or its employees. People used to ask me about the show and depending on the situation, I would either say "Well, the unforms are authentic" or "Yes, the job is just like that, one big party, and I can't believe sometimes I am getting paid to have so much fun!" then laugh and tell the truth.

But this mess of a movie, the new CHIPS movie, was the furthest thing imaginable from reality. Nothing was realistic about the movie, not anything at all. Not even the uniforms. Every member of the patrol portrayed in that movie was at best unprofessional, and at worst absurdly disgraceful, including the two stars who couldn't have even passed the written exam (the initial hurdle in the hiring process) let alone last one day on the job.

I watched the movie with my wife and oldest (teenage) son and was frankly embarrassed. Now there will probably never be another production made about the Patrol because this one has likely destroyed the concept.

It was only briefly in the theaters so if you want to see it you can get it on DVD now; at Redbox it's $1.50 but it isn't the money as much as the time you will never get back wasted on viewing it.

I knew it was a comedy and am good with humor but this one wasn't even funny. It was just lame.

MOstang
07-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Yeah that movie had a lot of people talking about how horrible it was. A big bomb at the box office. Haven't viewed it and don't have any desire to see it.

BTW, excellent progress on your SSP! Keep it up!

28HopUp
07-24-2017, 09:37 AM
I heard nothing good about that movie. :thumbsdown:

Steve
07-28-2017, 02:46 AM
Late last night I was driving home on a long, lonely stretch of Interstate freeway 5, which runs the length of the West Coast from Washington State to the border with Mexico. I was just outside Stockton, CA, about 30 miles South of Sacramento and in the heart of the great Central Valley of California. I passed a big rig, a tractor pulling two flatbed trailers. On each trailer was a large, plastic or fiberglass tub, filled with just harvested, ripe tomatoes enroute to the cannery.

Seeing that tomato hauler brought back memories of the tomato harvest each summer in the Los Banos area, where for a few weeks in late July and early August almost continuous truck traffic of tomato haulers dominated highway 5, rushing their loads from extensive fields near Los Banos to the canneries in Modesto and Stockton. Those tomatoes were ripe and juicy, destined to be made into tomato paste or canned.

One early morning 0255 and I were working day shift when we were dispatched to a reported collision on Northbound I-5 between two of these tomato haulers that had somehow tangled up and according to the report had made a big mess. I knew this would be a serious hazard situation and being some distance away, I turned on the porch light (rear flashing amber), activated the wig wags and accelerated to 110, reaching the scene in a short time.

What a mess! Two tubs had broken loose and spilled their loads of about 40,000 total lbs of very ripe tomatoes all over both lanes for a couple hundred feet. I checked to see if anyone was injured, then immediately turned to traffic control and flared off all northbound traffic (fortunately light) into the dirt center divider as these tomatoes were quite slippery when crushed and presented a real hazard. I called dispatch for a medium rig tow to get the trailers back on their wheels then called for DOT to help me figure out what to do with the huge mess. We had to get those tomatoes off of and away from the traffic lanes; a sweeper truck not only wouldn’t be big enough but it would just make a bigger mess. They came up with a great idea: Get the closest available Fire unit to simply hose the mess off the highway. Fire responded quickly and it worked perfectly; in minutes the gooey mess was well off the roadway. Trailers were righted and in a short time the trucks were on their way, limping off missing a lot of product. Someone would have some ‘splainin to do to their boss later that day.

Once again 0255 and I had served the motoring public, faithful to the oath we took: Whether in rain, sleet, snow, or thousands of pounds of gooey tomatoes…

kapracing
07-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Love hearing the stories:thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing:cool:

mac88chp
07-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Great memory. Those tomato haulers used to also travel SR152 up and over the Pacheco Pass when the canneries were still operating in the Santa Clara Valley. In the early '80s I lived in Sunnyvale and used to commute back and forth to Fresno via that pass on weekends to see my girlfriend. The road up there was still a narrow and twisty two laner back then and those trucks would regularly spill parts of their loads on the corners. Then the critters would come out of the hills to feast on that bounty and a large percentage of them became roadkill. I sure felt bad always seeing all the dead animals but I absolutely HATED having to wash off that god-awful mixture of rotten tomato and wildlife carnage off my car after each trip!

Steve
07-29-2017, 05:05 AM
Great memory. Those tomato haulers used to also travel SR152 up and over the Pacheco Pass when the canneries were still operating in the Santa Clara Valley. In the early '80s I lived in Sunnyvale and used to commute back and forth to Fresno via that pass on weekends to see my girlfriend. The road up there was still a narrow and twisty two laner back then and those trucks would regularly spill parts of their loads on the corners. Then the critters would come out of the hills to feast on that bounty and a large percentage of them became roadkill. I sure felt bad always seeing all the dead animals but I absolutely HATED having to wash off that god-awful mixture of rotten tomato and wildlife carnage off my car after each trip!

She must have been something special for you to make that long drive from Sunnyvale to Fresno and back! I used to have a girlfriend in Gilroy when I lived in San Jose and I thought that was a long round trip.

SR152 over Pacheco pass was a killer in those days. Narrow, very windy, nothing separating opposing traffic but a double yellow painted line. Since then they have widened it and added a median concrete barrier. Saved many lives no doubt.

The Los Banos area included SR 152 West all the way to Dinosaur Point, the County line. 0255 and I spent a lot of time up there. Perhaps I'll recall some more memories from there.

mac88chp
07-29-2017, 09:51 PM
She must have been something special for you to make that long drive from Sunnyvale to Fresno and back! I used to have a girlfriend in Gilroy when I lived in San Jose and I thought that was a long round trip.

SR152 over Pacheco pass was a killer in those days. Narrow, very windy, nothing separating opposing traffic but a double yellow painted line. Since then they have widened it and added a median concrete barrier. Saved many lives no doubt.

The Los Banos area included SR 152 West all the way to Dinosaur Point, the County line. 0255 and I spent a lot of time up there. Perhaps I'll recall some more memories from there.Yeah, she was special enough to make that drive for abut a year before she became wife #1 and moved over to the Bay Area with me. Still have a strong memory of those Friday night dashes to the Valley circa 1983-84. As a young guy with an objective like I had, once I came off the two-lane pass I was always pushing 10-15 mph over all the way around the reservoir and down and across SR152 then south down Highway 99. I learned quick to be vigilant and alert and I pretty much knew where to watch and slow down. Never got cited and had only one "white door warning" the whole time. ;)

Repeated the drill 26 years later while courting wife #2 only this time for three years and the route was Monterey Bay to North SF Bay. Lots more traffic and congestion this time around made for a much less frantic pace.

Steve
07-30-2017, 02:37 AM
Repeated the drill 26 years later while courting wife #2 only this time for three years and the route was Monterey Bay to North SF Bay. Lots more traffic and congestion this time around made for a much less frantic pace.

Yes, the memories from those early days. So many. The time period for your Fresno trips (1983-1984); that was exactly when 0255 and I were in service in the Los Banos area. You drove right past the CHP office in Los Banos each direction. I mostly worked day shift there, but occasionally evenings (off duty at about 10 pm) so it's possible you might have driven SR152 when I was out there. Who knows, I might have seen your vehicle on my beat.

Even though the speed limit was 55 at the time, and they wanted it enforced, I typically never stopped anyone for speed alone until they exceeded 70 (lots of white-door warnings), and even then it depended on traffic conditions. On holiday weekends the highways had a lot of traffic and the traffic flow usually exceeded 70. My main concern in those conditions was patrolling the beat to show a presence (visibility) so drivers hopefully would at least try to pay attention and drive safe, plus assist disabled vehicles (no cell phones, or emergency phones along the highway in those days). I always, as a personal philosophy, balanced enforcement with service.

mac88chp
07-30-2017, 09:04 PM
Yes, the memories from those early days. So many. The time period for your Fresno trips (1983-1984); that was exactly when 0255 and I were in service in the Los Banos area. You drove right past the CHP office in Los Banos each direction. I mostly worked day shift there, but occasionally evenings (off duty at about 10 pm) so it's possible you might have driven SR152 when I was out there. Who knows, I might have seen your vehicle on my beat.

Even though the speed limit was 55 at the time, and they wanted it enforced, I typically never stopped anyone for speed alone until they exceeded 70 (lots of white-door warnings), and even then it depended on traffic conditions. On holiday weekends the highways had a lot of traffic and the traffic flow usually exceeded 70. My main concern in those conditions was patrolling the beat to show a presence (visibility) so drivers hopefully would at least try to pay attention and drive safe, plus assist disabled vehicles (no cell phones, or emergency phones along the highway in those days). I always, as a personal philosophy, balanced enforcement with service.
Had to be very tough to vigorously enforce the double-nickel by that time, esp. in the rural areas. I pretty much follow the basic speed law and never drive too fast for conditions and it's always kept me out of trouble. Yep, I'd always see the CHP office right on the main drag in Banos. How far east did the office cover on SR152?

Here's what I was driving back then, you'll notice I added those big fog lights which were super effective and a must have for those nighttime runs in that nasty valley fog.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,wkgqfqwdrstqkrdxstkbkdwsrgwg,vi/brwbqgtbbxrbdkwbrrkxwrbgqqbtq/9/438439/10093077/VW389-vi.jpg

I'd be passing thru Los Banos between 6-7pm on Fridays then back again between 5-6am on Monday mornings. Got my only white door warning while on 152 just past the SR33 Dos Palos exit. It was Friday about 7:30pm and a Mustang came up on me from the EB onramp after I passed the interchange. I knew the headlight signature well and had plenty of time to slow down and move to the #2 lane before he could get a pace. He knew I made him...what different times those were before radar and lidar!

Steve
07-30-2017, 10:42 PM
I knew I'd seen that vehicle before...there was an enlarged photo of it in the briefing room with the caption "Watch out for this guy!" LOL, just kidding.

Seriously, do you remember if that white door warning was from an '82? Because that could have been me and 0255. Most of the time I was in Los Banos I worked day shift the East side of the area (beat 30-16), which included SR 152 East from Los Banos city to the Madera County line and SR 33 from the Dos Palos Y to just South of Mendota, and all the County roads and areas in between. A very large area, parts of 3 counties.

The Dos Palos exit off of SR 152 you referred to, we called that the Dos Palos Y because of the configuration of the interchange. One of my favorite breakfast and coffee pit stops was there; in fact coming out of that restaurant was where the pursuit I referred to in the first post on this thread started from. I would get up at 4:30 am on weekdays to get into the office for day shift, head out of Los Banos East to make an SR 152 beat check, then go get breakfast. So it is possible you saw 0255 and I out there.

Thinking about that area brings back even more memories.

mac88chp
07-31-2017, 08:44 PM
I knew I'd seen that vehicle before...there was an enlarged photo of it in the briefing room with the caption "Watch out for this guy!" LOL, just kidding.

Seriously, do you remember if that white door warning was from an '82? Because that could have been me and 0255. Most of the time I was in Los Banos I worked day shift the East side of the area (beat 30-16), which included SR 152 East from Los Banos city to the Madera County line and SR 33 from the Dos Palos Y to just South of Mendota, and all the County roads and areas in between. A very large area, parts of 3 counties.

The Dos Palos exit off of SR 152 you referred to, we called that the Dos Palos Y because of the configuration of the interchange. One of my favorite breakfast and coffee pit stops was there; in fact coming out of that restaurant was where the pursuit I referred to in the first post on this thread started from. I would get up at 4:30 am on weekdays to get into the office for day shift, head out of Los Banos East to make an SR 152 beat check, then go get breakfast. So it is possible you saw 0255 and I out there.

Thinking about that area brings back even more memories.Phew, glad I wasn't a BOL, didn't want to end up like this poor guy! LOL

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rtgdtrfftrbddsrxstkbkdwsrgwg,vi/brkwdtskgxbrtwgbqddxbrgqwkdqq/4/438439/1682630/SammyHagarBusted500px483x350-vi.jpg

Steve, I honestly can't recall the year of the Mustang or even the exact year ('83 or '84) that white door warning happened to me. I do remember it was enhanced by a quick on-off flash of the ruby in my direction before the officer floored it and disappeared into the night. :)

Who knows, we very well may have laid eyes upon one another out there in the westlands badland once upon a time. :thumbsup:

MOstang
07-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Phew, glad I wasn't a BOL, didn't want to end up like this poor guy! LOL

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rtgdtrfftrbddsrxstkbkdwsrgwg,vi/brkwdtskgxbrtwgbqddxbrgqwkdqq/4/438439/1682630/SammyHagarBusted500px483x350-vi.jpg

One foot on the break and one on the gas....yep you can't drive 55, LOL! ;)

Steve
07-31-2017, 10:40 PM
Steve, I honestly can't recall the year of the Mustang or even the exact year ('83 or '84) that white door warning happened to me. I do remember it was enhanced by a quick on-off flash of the ruby in my direction before the officer floored it and disappeared into the night. :)

Who knows, we very well may have laid eyes upon one another out there in the westlands badland once upon a time. :thumbsup:

It is possible. When I did work evening shift it was always on beat 30-16 (Westside). Some Officers didn't like driving the Mustangs, they drove the Dodge Diplomat instead. So it was likely one of only 3 or 4 possible officers that evening. Los Banos was a small office in those days; I think only about 16 or so Officers plus 2 or 3 Sergeants, a Lieutenant, and the Captain. Day shift would have 3 or 4 units, evenings the same, and Graveyard a single 2-man car. But sometimes vacations, court time, sick time, etc. would reduce the lineup. I remember one time when I was the only unit for the entire area on day shift. I put about 350 miles on 0255 in 8 hrs just trying to beat check all the main roadways at least once.

Steve
08-11-2017, 01:21 AM
With 0327 in the shop for an extended time now, there's not much to do. I just worked for four days at a County Fair (LE), so I had time to reminisce about the old days again.

I always balanced enforcement with service. It is the way I always thought the job should be done and it enabled me to go home after a shift believing I was doing things the right way, a positive orientation.

One afternoon 0255 and I were working the East side of Los Banos on SR 152 when I observed a vehicle travelling Westbound that caught my attention. A lot of black smoke was coming out from underneath and from the sides of the engine compartment. This was clearly not exhaust smoke, and it didn’t look like a transmission oil leak onto a hot exhaust pipe. No, something else was going on and there was enough smoke to justify immediate action.

I turned 0255 Westbound, closed fast on the subject vehicle, and activated the red spot light and wig wags. After a short distance the driver yielded to the shoulder and stopped. I made a driver’s side approach. Black smoke was billowing out from under the hood. “You’ve got something going on here” I told the driver, an elderly man “And I can see it isn’t good.” He activated the hood release and exited the vehicle. As soon as I opened the hood the problem was obvious. The oil filler cap was missing, oil had splashed out all over the top of the engine, and eventually had caught fire. I grabbed 0255’s fire extinguisher and put out the fire, which had begun to include the spark plug wires. After a few minutes everything settled down and stabilized.

It turned out the driver had stopped for gasoline some miles back and decided to check the oil. It was low so he added a quart, but forgot to replace the oil cap, which was now lost. The vehicle clearly could not safely be driven any further. I called for a tow to take him the remaining 25 miles or so into a garage in Los Banos.

Now you’d think this driver would be grateful. Our action certainly saved his car which would likely have been past the point of saving within minutes of the time I stopped him, and perhaps a serious accident and injury had it gotten to the point where it caused him to crash. He might have even burned up along with it. Yes, driving along perfectly normal one minute, then stopped and having to be towed a short time later is inconvenient. But this guy acted as though it was somehow all my fault for stopping him. Not one word or demeanor of thanks, gratitude, or even recognition for rescuing him from his carelessness; instead it was as though it was me that was inconveniencing him.

Oh well; you can’t please everyone. 0255 and I had once again done our duty. Perhaps at least the Karma Continuum had taken notice.

Steve
01-08-2018, 05:01 AM
Over the holidays I was at a party and was hanging out with some other former LE officers. Not really a holiday subject, but somehow the subject of discussion became gruesome fatal accidents you've seen. I've seen many and each one is a story in itself, but i always remember the double-fatal crash that happened early in Los Banos on the Interstate. In the same area and not far away from the location where 0255 and I herded the cattle off the freeway and back onto their side of the fence. Fatals and major-injury crashes were common in that area, mostly due to the high speeds on the Interstate. Many of them were single-vehicle (solos) where drivers would fall asleep and drive off the roadway, even during the daytime. And at the speeds involved, it was usually bad.

It was early on a weekend morning. Dispatch had received a report from CalTrans (California Dept. of Transportation) that a vehicle had crashed into one of their trucks. 0255 and I arrived shortly and I could see right away what had happened. CalTrans had a crew working on the shoulder and had parked one of their large sign trucks a few hundred feet upstream, on the shoulder, to physically protect their workers. A good practice just in case a vehicle drifted onto the shoulder...which is exactly what happened. For unknown reasons, likely a sleepy driver, a standard-sized sedan with two occupants smacked square into the back of that truck at freeway speed. No brakes, no slowing at all. Both occupants were dead, and it was obvious they had both died instantly upon impact. But it was the driver that I won't forget. His body was still hunched forward, with the upper part of the steering wheel lodged in his mouth about halfway back into his head. The impact had sent him forward and he quite literally ate the steering wheel.
There wasn't much to do besides call for the Coroner, tow trucks, and write the report.

Steve
10-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Spotted in my driveway a few minutes ago! Seriously, 0327 came home from the interior shop yesterday. I couldn't resist putting one of the repro 0255 E Plates on and snapping a few photos. From now on 0327 is going to be doing double duty as 0327/0255.

28HopUp
10-02-2019, 08:40 AM
Such a pretty car!

Steve
10-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Thanks, Bill, been a long time and a lot of work. I feel like I've run a marathon taking this SSP from where it was to near completion. But you likely know all about that.

As a final tribute to 0255, I plan to take this vehicle back to the location of the first photo in this thread, the rest stop on freeway I5 in the Los Banos area and recreate it. Put the 0255 plates on front and back, locate the veh in the exact same spot, then pose with it. Should make an interesting now and then comparison. I still have my original uniform jacket from back then, if you look very close in the original photo of 0255 (only) taken from the perspective of the driver's side front, you can see it draped around the passenger seat. I'll put the jacket in the same place for maximum possible authenticity.

JerryPHX
10-02-2019, 03:30 PM
Steve, That SSP looks BETTER than New! Great work.

Steve
10-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Thank you Jerry. You're in one of my favorite states, AZ. I'm thinking of moving to Bullhead City in a few years. I know many Arizonans don't want more Californians, at least ones that bring the politics with them. That's not me...I'm wanting to get away from Kalifornia politics...

MOstang
10-05-2019, 01:09 PM
Awesome...I like the recreating the photo plan (along with the jacket on the seat).

Steve
08-18-2020, 01:04 PM
It's been hotter than hell lately, so when not in the pool I have been indoors going through old photo albums and came across some old photos. Including a new, never seen before photo of 870255's interior in service taken Summer 1984. It shows the layout of the emergency equipment well. That's a 26" wooden baton next to the parking brake handle.
Just for fun I have included two more; a 1982 Chevy Impala I drove in late 1984 and my first patrol veh, a 1978 Dodge, the last of the big 440s, I drove in early 1980.

Wolfe1013
08-19-2020, 09:17 AM
Thanks for sharing, Steve. Love them all.

MOstang
08-30-2020, 03:16 PM
Great pics, Steve.

Steve
03-14-2023, 02:11 AM
Been a while since I have been here, and been a really long while since I have been in the Los Banos area CHP office. Last Wednesday March 8 I brought my family to Los Banos for a funeral service to be held Thursday morning at the San Joaquin Valley national Cemetary near Santa Nella, in the Los Banos area. My wife's Dad (a Korean War Vet) died recently and so we went there and stayed overnight in Los Banos a short distance from the CHP office. Wednesday afternoon I stopped by with my son to visit. It has changed very little since I was last there in 1984. I walked in the public entrance and told the Officer at the counter I was an alumni. He got the Sgt. on duty to come out front and I told them my history there. They were very friendly and accommodating. They took us on a tour of the office and back area. A few changes there, like aboveground fuel storage and a portable building providing a locker room along the back fence, but otherwise, the same. I could easily imagine 0255 there where I used to park it.
Everyone I worked there has of course long since retired and many of them have died. But some that came there in the late 1980s still remember Bob Butler and what a character he was. Bob had a stroke and died a few years later.
Overall, a long overdue and enjoyable visit to a place filled with memories and personal history. Driving around there with the family, and to Santa Nella, I pointed out some of the places where my stories in this thread occurred.

ImEvil1
03-14-2023, 08:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your FIL. Your story about the office is great! Glad some things haven't changed.

MOstang
03-21-2023, 09:15 AM
My condolences to you and your family on your father in law's passing. I'm glad you were able to revisit the CHP office and take that walk back in time.

Steve
10-07-2023, 08:32 PM
Just got back from the Ripon/Menlo Park PD Emergency Vehicle show in Ripon, CA. Me and my wife drove 0327 there; when I got set up I put the repro 0255 plates on. I almost felt 40 years younger and back on patrol looking at that sight...

Pics to follow.

Steve
10-07-2023, 08:49 PM
The first one is the real 0255 on Feb 21, 1098 in service. The second pic is 0327 with 0255 repro plates channeling 0255. The third pic is Ed Blancos '93 next to my veh. The last pic is SSP Mustang row at the show. 3 SSPs total.

Steve
10-07-2023, 08:51 PM
A little aside: If you look closely draped on the passenger seat back of the real 0255 is a CHP jacket. That same jacket is in place in the same spot on 0327/0255 in the photo of today.

28HopUp
10-08-2023, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the photos!

Cobra Jet
11-06-2023, 07:27 PM
Thanks for sharing your images and the SSP looks great too!

MOstang
11-11-2023, 08:47 AM
Congratulations on displaying your SSP at Ripon.