PDA

View Full Version : Overhead console

OSP959(R)
04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
I was out in the garage today looking over my FPD car looking for signs of where equipment was installed. No holes in the dash or console. No signs of anything being mounted to the floor. Weird. While looking at the dome light, I noticed an impression in the headliner from an overhead console.

I took the headliner out (I'm taking the whole interior out) and took a closer look. You can definitely see the impression of a console.

I've only seen an overhead radio console one time. Back in the 90's, the local PD had them in their Crown Vics. They're the only ones I've ever seen. I don't even know who manufactured them.

Anyone have a clue who made overhead radio consoles in the 90's??

ImEvil1
04-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Ron Mahoy should be able to help you. Indiana State Patrol used them in their Mustangs. IIRC, I found an NOS one for sale online a few years back and sent him the link.

He doesn't really post here, but you can PM him at ORG (ChipsMahoy).

Here's a thread on this site with a pic for reference:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?p=12114

Also, could have been an early overhead camera system (slim possibility).

OSP959(R)
04-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Ron Mahoy should be able to help you. Indiana State Patrol used them in their Mustangs. IIRC, I found an NOS one for sale online a few years back and sent him the link.

He doesn't really post here, but you can PM him at ORG (ChipsMahoy).

Here's a thread on this site with a pic for reference:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?p=12114

Also, could have been an early overhead camera system (slim possibility).

I emailed the PD to see if they can confirm that there was a console in the car, but I don't see how it could be anything else. No, the PD doesn't wear stetsons or cowboy hats, so it wasn't a hat holder.

It would be nice if by some weird chance the PD still had this console collecting dust somewhere, but I know I'll probably never actually find one.

ImEvil1
04-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I emailed the PD to see if they can confirm that there was a console in the car, but I don't see how it could be anything else. No, the PD doesn't wear stetsons or cowboy hats, so it wasn't a hat holder.

It would be nice if by some weird chance the PD still had this console collecting dust somewhere, but I know I'll probably never actually find one.

I saw that, and you have to consider the source.

OSP959(R)
04-10-2011, 11:09 PM
I saw that, and you have to consider the source.

I don't have any issue with the reply. I just figured I would note it up front before someone else mentions it. However, I have been meeting a lot of resistance in the SSP secret society, so I may be getting a bit over-sensitive on some of the subject matters.

OSP959(R)
04-10-2011, 11:16 PM

I'm only familiar with the Mobile Vision systems. If anyone knows of an in-car camera console that would have fit that outline, please let me know. I do believe the PD was using in-car cameras in the 90's.

ImEvil1
04-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't have any issue with the reply. I just figured I would note it up front before someone else mentions it. However, I have been meeting a lot of resistance in the SSP secret society, so I may be getting a bit over-sensitive on some of the subject matters.

It's all good. I've been following the PA thread, and am in the middle of working on a VIN project here as well. if you are able to get the VIN of the '85 (and any documentation) shoot me an email. It'll certainly help out.

I'm not super-schooled up on the in-car video systems. We didn't get them until the late '90s and they used 50 different vendors. Mine never worked a single day I ever worked the road.

OSP959(R)
04-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Got a reply from the PD:

One of our lieutenants who's been here for a long time said that it did have an interior console. She thinks she has some images at home and is going to look for them. If she can find some, she'll send them on to you.

ImEvil1
04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Good to hear....you've been on a roll finding info out about this one.

OSP959(R)
04-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Got a reply from the PD:

This really sucks. I'll never find an overhead console. This means I'm another step farther from being able to put the car back to it's in-service condition. :(

GSPI
04-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Have no fear. There was a radio/siren component on my LTD that was not a normal component that I've seen used in any other department... managed after three years to come across one buried back in the radio shop... not to mention it took a while to understand what spotlight (not a Unity) that was used too. These take time to find sometimes. Patience will pay off and you are moving along pretty well for now.

ImEvil1
04-11-2011, 08:37 PM
This really sucks. I'll never find an overhead console. This means I'm another step farther from being able to put the car back to it's in-service condition. :(

I wouldn't be so sure....like I said earlier, I found one (I think it was NOS) and there are probably more out there.

It took me several years to find a CC1/MPA2 and radio equipment for my '82 CHP. When I finally did, it was in a large cache of retired CHP stuff. Many members here benefited from that find, and it was all part of the fun.

Good luck with your search, and we'll keep an eye out, too (once you get it confirmed).

(and +1 to what GSPI said...)

OSP959(R)
04-11-2011, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't be so sure....like I said earlier, I found one (I think it was NOS) and there are probably more out there.

It took me several years to find a CC1/MPA2 and radio equipment for my '82 CHP. When I finally did, it was in a large cache of retired CHP stuff. Many members here benefited from that find, and it was all part of the fun.

Good luck with your search, and we'll keep an eye out, too (once you get it confirmed).

(and +1 to what GSPI said...)

Hey Greg, Mentor PD used overhead consoles in the 90's. Not sure if they still do anymore. I don't know if they did their own installs, or had someone in the county do them.

GSPI
04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
I got a Sgt. over there I can go ask about that. That was an LTD/Crown Vic setup from back then. I know they don't use them now but I barely remember those over there as that was something new at the time and I don't remember them using them long due to the extra work of installing them from what I remember. I forgot about that!

GSPI
04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Come to think of it. I think I can make one of those out of high density styrofoam and fibreglas. As long as the shape is simple, there isn't too much to be done there and it will match what was done in the past with these.

NoDrama43
04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
good luck. it would be great to find a pic for sure. let us know and we can be on the lookout for what you are needing.

NoDrama43
04-11-2011, 10:59 PM
I have been meeting a lot of resistance in the SSP secret society, so I may be getting a bit over-sensitive on some of the subject matters.

Over here we try to help out everyone, not just the members of our social networking clan. If you have questions post them up and we will do our best to help you out. :)

what part of Ohio are you in by the way? I am just east of Cincy.

OSP959(R)
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Over here we try to help out everyone, not just the members of our social networking clan. If you have questions post them up and we will do our best to help you out. :)

what part of Ohio are you in by the way? I am just east of Cincy.

Well, the PD doesn't have any old equipment. The moved to their new HQ in 2006 and cleaned up prior to moving.

OSP959(R)
04-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Well, the PD doesn't have any old equipment. The moved to their new HQ in 2006 and cleaned up prior to moving.

Here she is:

OSP959(R)
04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Courtesy of the US Patent Office. Gotta love investigating this stuff.

OSP959(R)
04-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Compare it to this:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2908&stc=1&d=1302487872

Same overall outline.

ImEvil1
04-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Nice. Who makes it?

OSP959(R)
04-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Automotive Prototypes & Equipment (Ann Arbor, MI)

MOstang
04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Automotive Prototypes & Equipment (Ann Arbor, MI)
Did a VERY quick search on google with the name you provided and city but did not find a match. However, this company came up...not sure if the same one or not.

http://www.automotive-engineers.com/Company.html

Any chance this is the same company? I live about 20 minutes from Ann Arbor in the event you find the company and need someone local to help.

GSPI
04-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Nope not close at all since that is a reconstruction outfit... but AP&E - Originally Automotive Prototypes and Equipment, then became Automotive Police Equipment, then Metro Emergency Products and Services. MEPS was eventually sold to U.S. Highway Safety in 1995, a Milan, MI based company after many legal issues they disappeared. I know that AP&E did design many different innovative pieces used for police work including a retractable divider shield that was bulletproof.

OSP959(R)
04-20-2011, 06:25 PM
GSPI, ever hear anything from your MPD contact?

GSPI
04-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Nothing yet from either contact yet. I'll have to place another call.

GSPI
04-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Ok, I've put out more feelers and I'm going to try two more guys that just came to mind and see what I can find. I'll get something going!

OSP959(R)
04-22-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm sure with the drawings I have and the measurements from the headliner impressions I could make something, but that may seem a bit lame. Don't want to be driving around in a clown car. LOL! J/K.

ImEvil1
04-22-2011, 10:15 PM
clown1 JK!