PDA

View Full Version : Brake lights in rear window???

OSP959(R)
04-29-2011, 01:16 PM
I had found where the tail light and brake light wire going to the right rear light assemble on my ssp had been tapped in to. The left side and reverse lights were not tapped.

Someone suggected that it could have been for brake lights on the package tray. I had received an email from an officer with the department that stated that the late 90's crown vics had red lights in the rear window. I emailed him back today and asked them if they were brake lights, or emergency lights. He replied with:

The lights on the CV's were round brake lights. There were two of them and they were mounted on the rear deck. They didn't come on with the emergency lights. Not really sure why they decided to do that.

I haven't been able to locate any evidence though of where or how they would have been mounted back there.

I don't really understand why departments would add additional brake lights to the rear deck when you have a 3rd brake light. Anyone seen this done??

I came across this photo of a Michigan State Police Mustang:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4539619404_cea2ba36fd.jpg

Anyone know if those are hooked up as brake lights, or flashing emergency lights??

NoDrama43
04-29-2011, 04:49 PM
those lights are hooked to a flasher. they are not hooked up as additional brake lights.

ImEvil1
04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't really understand why departments would add additional brake lights to the rear deck when you have a 3rd brake light. Anyone seen this done??

I have, but haven't ever seen a Mustang with them.

OSP959(R)
04-30-2011, 12:32 AM
I got some pics from the PD of the lights in a late 90's CV, but I can't find any place on the rear deck of my car where they could have been mounted.

ImEvil1
04-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Lollipop style? Could they have been headliner mounted?

OSP959(R)
04-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Ya, lollipops.

I looked along the deck and the headliner. I'm just not seeing it.

ImEvil1
04-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Is it the original package tray? Any marks along the seatback where brackets might have been?

gixxer1
05-15-2011, 11:49 PM
My car has them too but amber and they alternate back and forth.

xxtrpr
05-18-2011, 05:27 PM
The KHP car had a bracket that screwed in behind seat back and rounds were mounted to them so no holes were in package tray. Take a look behind the seat back for extra screw holes. And the ones i installed had flasher in 1 of them that flashed both. Most have seperate flasher or strobe supply depending on year and model.