PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Michigan State Police & 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSPs

MOstang
04-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Ok time for me to post up on my SSPs. Specifically 1992 Michigan State Police SSP #5114 and 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP #P641 with license plate number 632-HP (632 is Trooper's badge number). Will get some better photos once Spring turns things more green and the rain slows down.

The 1992 MSP is of course the one recently obtained from Bruce Howard (EvocBruce). Bruce purchased this one from Charles Ricks, who many of you will recognize his name. I can't take credit for all the fine work done on this SSP but rather it was the efforts of Bruce, Joe Horvath (Texaspony87) and many others. That being said I sure know a beauty when I see one. This SSP presently sits on 65,034 original miles on the odometer. It was assigned to the Paw Paw Post, and subsequently transferred to the Bridgman Post. Later, the MSP retired this Mustang from service on September 30, 1997 with 48,279 miles on the odometer.

My 1993 MSHP was in service nearly 15 years beginning with the MSHP from 1993 to 1996. In 1996, the MSHP sold it to the City of Wentzeville, MO where it served as their DARE car from 1996 to 1997. In June, 1997 it was purchased by Cottleville who changed the appearance from all white to black and white. It served as their DARE car from 1997 to 2007. The first "civilian" owner, Eric Prince (MustangRetriever), purchased it on January 16, 2007 with 98,600 miles on the odometer. In July 2008 I purchased it from Jeff Gill (88 NYSP SSP) in New York. With much support from MustangRetriever, over the following 20 months it was returned to period correct in-service condition including a return to all white in color. It presently has 100,938 miles on the odometer.

The MSHP SSP was assigned as a road car to Trooper Vince Rice of Troop L (Jefferson City), working both Montgomery and Gasconade County. Trooper Rice was a member of the Special Emergency Response Team (SERT). He has since achieved the rank of Lieutenant and Assistant Director for the MSHP Professional Standards Division. As most of you know on April 16, 2010 I reunited Lt. Vince Rice with his former SSP Mustang for the first time in over 15 years. Much to my surprise, Lt. Rice presnted me with one of his original license plates. The MSHP featured an article on the "reunion" in their Patrol News publication.

Hope you enjoy the photos and the background on these SSPs. Thank you.

28HopUp
04-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Mike, thanks for posting up some pictures of your beautiful pair of SSP's! They are truly stunning. :D

ssp91ssp
04-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Mike, both ssp's are VERY nice !! but the Michigan ssp takes the cake!!!!!!:yes:

GSPI
04-30-2011, 10:20 PM
True, that Michigan SSP is extremely nice not taking away from the MO SSP too!

fallon312
05-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Both very nice cars.

scoutdrivinrebel
05-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Both cars are awesome. I love the Michigan car.

MOstang
05-01-2011, 11:07 AM
thanks for the nice comments gentleman.

copper
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Mike,
Really like your avitar picture. I've seen the Michigan car and it is the ultimate. Hope to see you at some of the shows. I get to Michigan to vist my daughter and will try to attend some of the shows there.

NoDrama43
05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
very nice Mike. they look great sitting there minus the snow !

EXNODRAMANOTCH
05-01-2011, 03:47 PM
very nice Mike. they look great sitting there minus the snow !

They look excellent Mike! Speaking of snow, my SSP display in the Minnesota State Patrol SSP trunk got snowed on at a car show today! :No no:

MOstang
09-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Weather permitting Saturday I'm meeting up with a magazine contributer/photographer so he can photo my 1992 Michigan State Police SSP. He is the same person who took photos and wrote the article on the Michigan State Police Camaro I posted about earlier this year from Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine. Evidently he's writing an article (I need to find out for what magazine) on Fox Body Mustangs and wants to include photo(s) of my SSP. I'll update as I learn more info on it. Thanks.

ssp91ssp
09-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Congrats, Mike! and best of luck on the weather / article.
Let us know what mag it's going in.

MOstang
09-24-2011, 08:40 PM
The photo shoot turned out great and was a long one taking 3 hours, believe it or not. I'm fortunate to have a secluded park nearby so he took some photos of it driving as well as many different static photos from a variety of position. An article on my 1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114 is going to appear in the new Fox Mustang Magazine (evidently Tom Shaw is the editor). You can find info on this magazine on Facebook and their website if you google it. It sounded to me like the first issue hasn't landed yet, but I'm not positive about that.

The photographer will also be writing the article and he's the one who wrote and photo'd the Michigan State Police Camaro the MSP still owns that recently appeared in Hemmings Muscle Machines. He was told by the editor they thought issue #2 would contain the article on my SSP and it sounded like that was a few months out. I'm going to see the article and have an opportunity to provide feedback before it publishes. I'll keep you posted :thumbsup:.

GSPI
09-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Very Cool stuff Mike! Looking forward to seeing the article.

MOstang
09-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Here's a driving pic I received from the photo shoot...

MOstang
11-08-2011, 07:55 PM
I had an opportunity to proof the article today. Very professionally written article! I'm sure everyoen will feel the same way when the article publishes. Since this author has written some other MSP police package car articles for magazines of late he includes a little info on some of the other historical cars the MSP has retained and some info on some of the traditions the MSP has retained with their cars.

EXNODRAMANOTCH
11-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I had an opportunity to proof the article today. Very professionally written article! I'm sure everyoen will feel the same way when the article publishes. Since this author has written some other MSP police package car articles for magazines of late he includes a little info on some of the other historical cars the MSP has retained and some info on some of the traditions the MSP has retained with their cars.

Great news Mike, any idea of the name of the publication it will be appearing in?

MOstang
11-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Great news Mike, any idea of the name of the publication it will be appearing in?

Thanks Bob...yes it is a new magazine called Fox Mustang Magazine (apparently one out there called Mustang Magazine now). First issue launches around the first of the year. He thinks this will be in the 2nd issue. You can find them on Facebook and their website by searching the Internet for sure.

MOstang
07-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Ok, I'm going to dust off this thread with an update. For a few innocuous reasons, the article on my 1992 MSP (Michigan) SSP was pushed out a few issues. I'm told by the author/photographer that the magazine editor swears the article will run in the upcoming issue #6. I just received the new issue in the mail, so I'm guessing it's about 3 weeks out. Will keep my fingers crossed in the meantime that it will happen.

89LXNOTCH
07-19-2012, 02:40 PM
nice car.

jefropas
07-19-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm new to the forum, but took the last pic of your car in service up in Bridgman years ago. I ended up giving that to Charles, then he gave it to Bruce. I've been watching that car for a long time and can't wait to see the article, my only regret was not taking more pics when I saw it 20 years ago...

Jeff

MOstang
07-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks for posting. I recognize your name from the vast amount of paperwork with this car. A special thanks too for taking those pictures so many years ago. I should probably try and validate some time with you that the in-service pics I have are inclusive of all of them you took of it. You're over on CCdC too, correct?

jefropas
07-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Yep, in on CCdc as well...

Jeff

MOstang
12-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Well it took 15 months with the magazine experiencing financial difficulties, but I received an early Christmas gift in the mail today. The article on my 1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114 finally dropped with a very nicely written and lengthy feature in Fox Mustang Magazine's current issue #6. See the following link and you can press the "Next" icon above the picture to go scroll through the eight pages...http://public.fotki.com/MOstang/periodical-articles/ssp-mustang-articles/fox-mustang-mag-21.html .

Kudos to Barry Kluczyk who photo'd and authored the article. He has authored many other auto features over the years, including some nice ones on MSP vehicles including recent articles on the SSP Mustang and B4C Camaro the MSP still own. Of course prior owner EvocBruce is the one who really deserves an opportunity to take a bow and receives special recognition mentioned in the article for his prior ownership/restoration. Enjoy!

MOstang
01-07-2013, 09:38 PM
I would be interested in picking up a couple more of this issue #6 if someone wants to mail to me send a PM and I'll forward my address and cover your shipping costs. Thanks!

MiCVPI
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Mike,
Great SSP! Were those pics taken at Bicentennial Park? Looks familiar. I haven't received my issue #6, but when I do its yours.

MOstang
01-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Mike,
Great SSP! Were those pics taken at Bicentennial Park? Looks familiar. I haven't received my issue #6, but when I do its yours.

Thanks for the nice comment and good eye on the location! ;) And thank you re: the magazine too.

stadair
01-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Great story and pics on the Mustang Mike! And it was good of you to mention Bruce as well.

MOstang
01-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks Toshi for your comments...Bruce certainly deserves the credit, no doubt. I know he had others who were a big help in the project as well.