PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 85/86 Front Brake Set-Up

28HopUp
05-01-2011, 10:17 AM
I have 87-up brakes on my SSP (done by a previous owner), so the stock steel wheels will not clear the calipers (running 10-holes currently). I need everything to put the front brakes back to stock configuration.

NoDrama43
05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
somebody school me here.

Will the front brake setup on a 1986 6 cylinder car work for you or are they different?

If they will work I have a donor car from Georgia that we can rob everything from. My 85 and 86 still retain their original hardware so I will not need this stuff. Problem is I have not layed eyes on it to see what condition it is all in.

90Coupe
05-01-2011, 12:33 PM
The 86 six cylinder is the same as the other models, as are the front brakes from 83 1/2 through the intro of the 87 V8 improved brakes. In 83 1/2 there was a change to the mounting of the pads, thats when the pins / bolts were used to retain the outside pad and that cointinued on through 93. In a nut shell, the parts from a 87-93 4 cylinder will be a direct swap as will all fox mustangs prior to 87, with the exception of attachment mentioned earlier on the 83 1/2 back. Sorry for disertation, but wanted you to have the info for your junkyard adventures.

NoDrama43
05-01-2011, 12:36 PM
ok great. I also have calipers and rotors from a 90 4 cyl car sitting on the shelf.

Bill lemme know if you are interested in any of it.

ImEvil1
05-01-2011, 12:37 PM
The 86 six cylinder is the same as the other models, as are the front brakes from 83 1/2 through the intro of the 87 V8 improved brakes. In 83 1/2 there was a change to the mounting of the pads, thats when the pins / bolts were used to retain the outside pad and that cointinued on through 93. In a nut shell, the parts from a 87-93 4 cylinder will be a direct swap as will all fox mustangs prior to 87, with the exception of attachment mentioned earlier on the 83 1/2 back. Sorry for disertation, but wanted you to have the info for your junkyard adventures.

Good info, Ron.

Will he need the spindles and struts, too? I think the newer cars were different.

90Coupe
05-01-2011, 01:09 PM
The spindles will have to be changed if they are from an 87-93 V8 car, Ford used a different bearing config and larger diameter rotor, however the 87-93 4cylinder spindle will interchange with the cars 86 and back to 83 1/2. For the struts, if I'm not mistaken all the after market suppliers like monroe and so forth use the same structural design of the lower strut spindle attach and include 1/8 inch spacers to accomodate for the differences.

ImEvil1
05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
That's what I thought. Different master cylinder as well.

Jim, hope you can hook him up with all of that.

28HopUp
05-01-2011, 07:56 PM
OK guys! I need some wise counsel. After posting a similar WTB ad on FEP, I was contacted by a member there who says he has the parts I need and he lives close by. He said I can get the calipers and rotors (and bearings) new, which I don't mind doing when it comes to brakes. The problem is he said make him an offer. So what would be a fair offer in your collective opinion?

ImEvil1
05-01-2011, 08:34 PM
That's a tough one. What all does he have?

28HopUp
05-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Spindles, heat shields. He'll let me have the used calipers and rotors too. Am I missing anything else?

ImEvil1
05-01-2011, 09:04 PM
MC you can buy new. I'd also buy the rotors, calipers, and wheel bearings new. No one really wants that stuff, so I'd say $50 tops?

90Coupe
05-01-2011, 09:20 PM
$50 Tops is a good number, the local pull a part here sells spindles for approx $15 a side and thats what I use for comparison pricing I'm with Mike on new rotors, calipers, bearings, hoses and MC. You can use the old calipers from the set you purchase to cover your core charges. The late fox V8 stuff should move quickly via craigslist or ebay.
http://www.pullapart.com/pricing.aspx.

NoDrama43
05-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I agree Bill. especially since it is close to you.

28HopUp
05-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks for all of your assistance gentlemen! I truly appreciate your help. I'll let you know what develops.

CHP 3705
05-02-2011, 10:14 AM
I have plenty of these laying around. I would give you a set but I'm afraid the shipping would be more than $50. Let me know what you think. Doug

28HopUp
05-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I will be headed to New Jersey shortly to pick up my parts. :) The seller from FEP had the spindles cleaned up in a parts tumbler (taping off the important surfaces). I'll be getting the rotors and calipers too, which I will use as cores for new parts. He will be checking a couple of other cars he has for the dust shields, cuz the ones he has off the same car were cracked. If he doesn't have a good pair of shields, I may ask you guys to see if you have them. And the agreed price was $50 too, so I appeciate your collective input on that as well.

As an aside, I'm getting excited about returning the car back to the steel wheels. Although I like the black 10-holes, the steelies just set off a four-eyed SSP.

ImEvil1
05-05-2011, 01:07 PM
I will be headed to New Jersey shortly to pick up my parts. :) The seller from FEP had the spindles cleaned up in a parts tumbler (taping off the important surfaces). I'll be getting the rotors and calipers too, which I will use as cores for new parts. He will be checking a couple of other cars he has for the dust shields, cuz the ones he has off the same car were cracked. If he doesn't have a good pair of shields, I may ask you guys to see if you have them. And the agreed price was $50 too, so I appeciate your collective input on that as well.

As an aside, I'm getting excited about returning the car back to the steel wheels. Although I like the black 10-holes, the steelies just set off a four-eyed SSP.

Good deal....glad it worked out.

NoDrama43
05-05-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm getting excited about returning the car back to the steel wheels. Although I like the black 10-holes, the steelies just set off a four-eyed SSP.

ahh yes.....originality is our dear freind ! glad to hear the progress.:2thumbs:

28HopUp
05-05-2011, 04:59 PM
I met up with the guy from FEP (forget his username there). Although the dust shields he had were all broken, the spindles came out great! See attached picture. I'll get them painted up tonight.

:)

28HopUp
05-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I got the spindles primered last night, but the instructions said to wait 24 hours for the primer to cure before top coating. I plan to paint them satin black. I may clean up and paint some of the other suspension components while I have the car up on jack stands.

After searching online, most of the replacement brake parts seem easy to locate and not too expensive. But in terms of the dust shields, I haven't found any new ones online yet. If the ones I have now on the car won't work, I may open up a request to see in anyone has a pair.

90Coupe
05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Bill,
If a fellow member doesn't offer up any to help you out, here is the contact info for a local Mustang specific salvage and restoration shop in Pensacola. Bob McNeal the owner, is retired FHP and is also a big fan of SSP cars.

Mustang Village
8833 Fowler Ave
Pensacola, FL 32534
(850)477-8056

28HopUp
05-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Ron, thank you for the lead. They may be helpful down the line (to me and others). Doug has offered up a shields for me.