PDA

View Full Version : 86 CHP #3852

ChrisL
05-20-2011, 10:29 PM
So here it is, a couple of you have heard about it but I wanted to start a thread for the car. This is '86 CHP unit number 3852. Still has the buck on the keyring with 3852, and 3852 is still visible on the door. The car is an unbelievable specimen. I bought it from the son of the man who purchased the car from the CHP auction, and it has been meticulously maintained since then. It had covers on the seats and dash that actually preserved everything perfectly, there is nary a cigarette burn on the seat. The tan interior was really well preserved, it does need carpet though.

The spot for the whip antenna is visible, as well as the repeater antenna on the roof. The holes for the spotlights can be made out also, and are nicely plugged in the interior. The car is 100% solid, and frame rails are arrow straight. It's just incredible.

The plans are: Paint it to all black, as the car will be a driver for me, and put the whip antenna and spotlights back on to give it the CHP flare. I won't paint the roof or doors white, but I'll leave the insides of the doors white in case the next owner wants to put it back completely to in-service specs. This car would be a super easy restoration for someone, and I'm going to do my best to only make that easier on the next person for when it comes time to move on. With my '86 DPS going back completely to in-service, I don't want two cars that I can't drive on the street.

Alas, it's on to the pictures. The gray car is one of 22 Idaho '86 SSP cars. It will be listed for sale here shortly.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/CHP4.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/CHP5.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/CHP6.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/CHP3.jpg

ChrisL
05-20-2011, 10:30 PM
a couple more...
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/CHP1.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/CHP2.jpg

Rhino
05-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Nice score Chris!! And welcome to another 4 eyed CHP in our ranks. Awesome.

Am I sensing a future 4 eyed CHP roundup on the horizon? :)

Can't wait to see the progress as it happens. Cool!

28HopUp
05-21-2011, 08:27 AM
WOW! That car is in amazing shape after all of these years. Your plan for the all-black configuration as a driver sounds like a great idea ;) Please keep the pictures coming as you continue working on the car.

:2thumbs:

ImEvil1
05-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Nice car!

GSPI
05-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes that is! Very nice. I like those 4 eyed cars.

ChrisL
05-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Thank you for the comments gentlemen, I'm pretty stoked that I found it! I've been keeping my eyes out for a very original, well kept '86 SSP 5 speed car for years and am glad to have found one! She's a great cruiser, AC blows ice cold and the cop wheels sure turn heads... it's been many years since one of these cars has been seen around these parts!

FHP813
05-21-2011, 06:23 PM
I've always wanted an 86 CHP, especially with the tan interior. Very Nice.

CHP8336
05-22-2011, 05:40 PM
So here it is, a couple of you have heard about it but I wanted to start a thread for the car. This is '86 CHP unit number 3852. Still has the buck on the keyring with 3852, and 3852 is still visible on the door. The car is an unbelievable specimen. I bought it from the son of the man who purchased the car from the CHP auction, and it has been meticulously maintained since then. It had covers on the seats and dash that actually preserved everything perfectly, there is nary a cigarette burn on the seat. The tan interior was really well preserved, it does need carpet though.

The spot for the whip antenna is visible, as well as the repeater antenna on the roof. The holes for the spotlights can be made out also, and are nicely plugged in the interior. The car is 100% solid, and frame rails are arrow straight. It's just incredible.

The plans are: Paint it to all black, as the car will be a driver for me, and put the whip antenna and spotlights back on to give it the CHP flare. I won't paint the roof or doors white, but I'll leave the insides of the doors white in case the next owner wants to put it back completely to in-service specs. This car would be a super easy restoration for someone, and I'm going to do my best to only make that easier on the next person for when it comes time to move on. With my '86 DPS going back completely to in-service, I don't want two cars that I can't drive on the street.

Alas, it's on to the pictures. The gray car is one of 22 Idaho '86 SSP cars. It will be listed for sale here shortly.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/CHP4.jpg

Awsome find Chris! Another 4 eye CHP! The 4 eye CHP cars were plentiful here 15 years ago. Now I never see any. When I drive mine, people here ask me where did you find that car? That is amasing that you found that rare car in that condition.

ChrisL
05-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks Rich! This is the first really decent '86 that I've seen come up for sale in the last year or two. It seems like so many of these cars (in cali in particular) got modded or turned into weird show cars. I can't wait until mine takes on a form a little closer to yours!

mac88chp
05-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Great score Chris. You are correct in that the number of stock or near-stock retired SSPs, esp. four-eyed, out here have been in seriously short supply for probably more than a decade. Treat that one right! :2thumbs:

ChrisL
06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Got my assignment card! Sold for $6000 at auction on 4/21/88 as well. Super cool!

NoDrama43
06-13-2011, 11:22 PM
who got you the assignment card Chris?

ChrisL
06-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Robert Read, picked up a set of spotlights for it with the correct bulbs from him as well.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/CHPassignment2.jpg

Rhino
06-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Funny, it replaced car # E408408 - 20 off from my '85 (#E408428).

Good stuff.

28HopUp
06-14-2011, 07:23 AM
That's great! I'm glad to see another CHP assignment card surface. Interesting that your '86 replaced an '85. I've never seen "pool" car listed like that before either. Cool stuff!

ChrisL
06-14-2011, 09:18 AM
This car seems to have been pretty expensive at auction, isn't $6000 kind of high? I thought most of the cars were in the 4500-5500 range...

28HopUp
06-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Does the backside of the assignment card list the color the car was painted prior to auction? Maybe it looked nicer than the silver metallic they used on my car, which sold for $4,650.00 on 2/4/88. Your card also says "LA", whereas mine said "Sacto". The different auction location may have played a role in your car selling for more money.

It looks like the scanned copy has the right lower corner cut off. What was your car's Location Code?

ChrisL
06-14-2011, 02:59 PM
location code is 825, on the back it lists "location of sale" as Torrance. It was painted white according to the card, and I'm positive this is the original white paint job from the auction. It's peeling off in a few places, showing black and gray trim under it!!

28HopUp
06-14-2011, 03:11 PM
location code is 825

That would be the CHP office in Bishop, CA, according to:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/depts_divs_offs/offices.html

Barstow is #835, btw...

ChrisL
06-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Very cool!!!

Rhino
06-16-2011, 01:10 AM
When I was buying cars off the Torrance/MTM lot around 1991-1992 - Mustangs were selling for $6500+, so $6K would likely be inline for the LA audience. :)

timsc127
06-16-2011, 02:08 PM
How do I get in touch with this gentleman.

Wolfe1013
06-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Congrats, Chris. Nice find indeed. Definitely keep us updated on the restoration.

A 4-eyed CHP reunion would be awesome, but it will be a while before I'm ready to take my '82 cross-country. :)

Greg

28HopUp
06-16-2011, 09:55 PM
How do I get in touch with this gentleman.

Are you asking about Chris's source for the CHP parts and Assignment Card? If so, we can get you his contact info...

A 4-eyed CHP reunion would be awesome, but it will be a while before I'm ready to take my '82 cross-country. :)

I agree! In 2012 perhaps?

Wolfe1013
06-16-2011, 10:08 PM
I agree! In 2012 perhaps?

Depends on where the meeting location would be. I'll certainly spend this summer working toward that goal!!

Rhino
06-17-2011, 11:55 PM
A 4-eyed CHP reunion? I just might have to make that goal as my restoration deadline. :)

ChrisL
08-08-2011, 03:59 PM
A 4-eyed CHP reunion? I just might have to make that goal as my restoration deadline. :)

Guys, I've purchased a newer DD so this one will be up for sale very soon. I'm having the tint redone today as it looked pretty poor. If anyone wants without a doubt the best and easiest '86 CHP resto candidate in the country, PM me. This car is exactly as it left CHP in '88, fully documented, and is 100% solid and functioning. I drive it 50 miles a day, in texas right now (avg temps have been 105*) and the A/C will freeze you out.

Pictures and a full ad will come over the next week.

sspanthony
08-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Sent you a pm Chris.....

Mustang Kid
08-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Thats a very nice car. My dad has 2 85 CHPs, both are white(one for sure by the CHP and the other possibly still has the CHP repaint). I wonder how many each year were repainted white... Out of the 5 CHPs my dad has, 3 are white and 2 are still b/w.
If I had the money, I would want to buy your 86:thumbsup:

scoutdrivinrebel
08-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Guys, I've purchased a newer DD so this one will be up for sale very soon. I'm having the tint redone today as it looked pretty poor. If anyone wants without a doubt the best and easiest '86 CHP resto candidate in the country, PM me. This car is exactly as it left CHP in '88, fully documented, and is 100% solid and functioning. I drive it 50 miles a day, in texas right now (avg temps have been 105*) and the A/C will freeze you out.

Pictures and a full ad will come over the next week.

Chris, I may be interested in this one. Let me know if you've still got her.

ChrisL
08-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys, everyone has been responded to. I need a good home for her, otherwise I don't mind keeping her :)

Ford-Dealer
10-31-2011, 02:05 AM
Chris,

She is now resting comfortably here in San Antonio. Tommorrow begins a new day for her. Thanks! :) She is a great car! She was a stellar ride home!

David

ChrisL
10-31-2011, 08:28 AM
David, it was great to meet you yesterday and I'm excited that the car went to such a good home. Please post any updates, I can't wait to see her "back in black"!

28HopUp
10-31-2011, 10:43 AM
She is now resting comfortably here in San Antonio. Tommorrow begins a new day for her. Thanks! :) She is a great car! She was a stellar ride home!

David,

Congrats on the purchase. Are you the gentleman on CCdC who was looking for a SSP? Regardless, thanks for joining up. Feel free to ask questions along the way...

GSPI
10-31-2011, 11:33 AM
David,

Congrats on the purchase. Are you the gentleman on CCdC who was looking for a SSP? Regardless, thanks for joining up. Feel free to ask questions along the way...

Yep, Dat's da guy Bill!!

Welcome aboard David! I'm glad that worked out. I have to say that Chris is an exceptional individual to work with on a car deal and David sound happy about the purchase!

Ford-Dealer
11-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I was going to start a fresh thread to update the progress of the car, but I thought that it might be more appropriate to keep this one alive to kinda show its entire history on this board. Thoughts?

As of this date, I have:

Installed the 2 Correct CHP Spotlights
Arranged for the car to be painted. I am in the process of removing the trim items, door handles, lock cylinders etc... in prep for the bodyshop.
I purchased some NOS rear deck light housings, but need the following information and parts.

What bulb numbers were for the Blue and Amber lamps?

Also, I am looking for:

Correct Rear Deck Light Brackets (Both Sides)
CC1 Light/Siren Controller
MPA Siren Amp and Interconnect Cables
Shotgun Rack (For 1986)
Roxter Maplight
Clipboard
Scanner
Radio Equipment
66" Antenna and Mount
Gutter Clamp and Antenna

Also I am looking for the following FORD items:

Hood Insulator
Passenger Door Bodyside Molding (Mine is a little Wavy)
Windsheild Washer Fluid Bottle

Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

David

EXNODRAMANOTCH
11-02-2011, 11:55 AM
If you mean "hood insulation" by "Hood Insulator" you can take that off your list, as 1986 SSPs did not come with hood insulation. Both of the 86s I have owned did not have it (the 1989 SSP that I presently own does not have it either). The local 93 SSP with 1,400 original miles also is without one. The pre-86 SSPs may have, but I can't say for sure.

John10608
11-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Nice Chris !

I remember driving those when I worked the Garberville area.
Put me first in line if you ever decide to sell :)
Thanks !
john

ImEvil1
11-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Congrats, David.

I have some of the stuff you need. Sorry I missed your call the other day; I've been out of town for work. We'll catch up soon.

Ford-Dealer
11-03-2011, 12:07 AM
If you mean "hood insulation" by "Hood Insulator" you can take that off your list, as 1986 SSPs did not come with hood insulation. Both of the 86s I have owned did not have it (the 1989 SSP that I presently own does not have it either). The local 93 SSP with 1,400 original miles also is without one. The pre-86 SSPs may have, but I can't say for sure.

Good to know! Check that part off my list! :)

Thanks!

Ford-Dealer
11-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Congrats, David.

I have some of the stuff you need. Sorry I missed your call the other day; I've been out of town for work. We'll catch up soon.

No prob! Just give me a shout when you have some time! The SSP is getting ready for paint, so don't take TOO long! ;)

OSP959(R)
11-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I read the comments over at CCdC. Frankly, I get tired of all the clown car comments and the way they criticize peoples cars and ideas. It's your car, build it the way you want. If you want to make the inside a museum to what a CHP mustang looks like, then go for it. I'm sure people will understand that you don't want the unneccesary attention that a black and white will bring.

I had posted a thread over there about a Police Buick GN I found, but didn't bother to post the photos and interesting info I found out about it because they wouldn't have appreciated it anyways.

The important thing is that the car is being saved and can easily be finished back to CHP with just some primer and white paint.

Good luck with the project!!

28HopUp
11-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Jim, I let the matter die over there regarding Greg's definition of a clown car. He's entitled to his opinion. I won't let it spoil the fun I'm having with my SSP, and I hope David enjoys his new project.

ImEvil1
11-08-2011, 02:12 PM
I have to agree....I don't think it's a clown car because the doors aren't painted white. While we strive to maintain "correctness" in both restoration and how the cars are perceived here, there's still room for various levels of "completeness". To me, a clown car is full of the wrong equipment (such as LEDs), too many antennas, newer markings, etc. etc. etc. We have all seen these types of "restos" and fully understand why some of these people do them that way. I don't think that's the case here.

GSPI
11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I think that the term "Clown" can be misinterpreted and misused especially when used with different generations of auto enthusiasts. If you are in the true and specific point of absolute accuracy of the unit, that means that the CHP car should be black and white (or solid white for those special units) without fail and in some ways that's the interpretation of a restoration at CCdC with minimal gray allowed there. I get what you are doing but then again, I come here to this board regularly and I understand. Being a regular at CCdC and the hobby since 1998 I've seen many transitions over the years, the accuracy is the biggest point in a restoration and that is what is the target for the true historical restorer. In my opinion, you do what you want with the car but depending on your audience, your car will be received with different reactions. Much like an SSP being converted for racing is met with an extreme reaction of horror and disgust as with the race crowd would think it's cool. The demo derby guys are really met with disgust there at CCdC for obvious reasons.

It's strictly on interpretation and that's all. Your car and money do with it what you want.

Dave, you enjoy that car and I look forward to seeing it done!

Va 5.0
11-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Passenger Door Bodyside Molding (Mine is a little Wavy)

Body side door moldings were deleted.

Ford-Dealer
11-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Body side door moldings were deleted.

Ummmm... I am confused. All the pix of the 1986 CHP SSPs HAD door mouldings. Please advise?

Thanks!

David

Ford-Dealer
11-10-2011, 02:44 AM
As far as the restoration is concerned, yes, I am conflicted. Part of me wants to paint her black/white, however part of me doesn't. In a way, I feel that I am doing her an injustice by painting her black/white. I am a LEO here in TX, and with that comes the ability to work traffic control duties (Off Duty Work), for lane closures, construction etc.... My intent is to put her back "In Service" performing those types of duties. That having been said, I want to maintain her origins. The correct CHP Spots have already been installed, and I have purchased NOS deck lights. I am going to install a motorola XTL2500 digital radio under the seat (as to hide it), but install the correct CHP radio and scanner for appearances sake. I suppose one could say that I am trying to HYBRID the mix of OLD/Original vs NEW. If you want to call it a clown car, then by all means do so. I for one disagree. My SSP will live on doing "In Service" duties, which I can assume, that MOST if not ALL restored police cars don't get the chance to do. She will be happier working, than not.... that is my opinion, others are welcomed too.

texunter
11-10-2011, 08:49 AM
That's retarded! That was and could be a badass original car.
I've got an 88 that you can ruin.
It's a tx car so you will fit in.

28HopUp
11-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Ummmm... I am confused. All the pix of the 1986 CHP SSPs HAD door mouldings. Please advise?

Thanks!

David

David,

The rubber moldings on the doors were not installed on the CHP cars, which allowed the logo/lettering to be put on the doors. The door has a horizontal ridge along the molding line, which you can see in this in-service shot of a 1986 CHP Mustang -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/Gallery/images/CHP/86CHP.jpg

...but the door molding isn't installed on the CHP Mustangs. There are add'l pictures in our CHP picture gallery (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/Gallery/CA.htm).

As far as the restoration is concerned, yes, I am conflicted. Part of me wants to paint her black/white, however part of me doesn't. In a way, I feel that I am doing her an injustice by painting her black/white. I am a LEO here in TX, and with that comes the ability to work traffic control duties (Off Duty Work), for lane closures, construction etc.... My intent is to put her back "In Service" performing those types of duties.

I do not know what the requirements are in your area for using a personal vehicle during off-duty traffic control, but it sounds like that is your intention with your new SSP. You will need to ensure that you are operating your vehicle within the constraints of the local/state laws. LEO or not, you will be inviting the interest of other LEO's (i.e. getting stopped) if your car has visible lights if they're not allowed. As I recall, you had been planning to repaint the car all-black, but with the correct lights. Just be aware of your public perception while operating your classic/antique police car. There have been some incidents where the owners used poor judgment while operating their former police cars on public roadways which could have ended badly for the hobby in general, and for those owners in particular.

Ford-Dealer
11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
In regards to the TX state laws regarding OFF DUTY use of personal motor vehicles for the purposes of TRAFFIC CONTROL/FUNERAL ESCORTs, we are REQUIRED to have "POLICE" markings on the cars. We are also REQUIRED to have 360 degree of warning lights with RED being required, and BLUE/AMBER being optional. Most officers have picked up retired CVPIs, and use them, while others use misc. vehicle types. I understand that most of you don't know this, however, in TX, construction companies are REQUIRED to hire Full-Time Off Duty Peace Officers to perform traffic control duties on job sites where 'Lane Closure(s)", or normal flow of traffic is to be interupted for periods of time. So how is this RETARDED? I am a little taken aback by your comment. I feel it was uncalled for at best. The side jobs pay between $25-$35 an hour, and will PAY for the restoration in no time. (Or Re-Pay) as I am restoring her first... LOL

As far as the restoration is concerned, I have decided to stick to the "ALL BLACK" route. I am otherwise, going to equip it with the correct CHP gear that was used in 1986.

Another "Bright Spot" is that Chris has graciously allowed me to retain her TX Vanity plates that he had for her. They read "86 CHP" and are in the new Black/White "Lone Star State" style, which will look killer on her when she is all black.

I am open to hearing differing opinions here.

ChrisL
11-10-2011, 11:26 AM
As we discussed before David, you aren't doing anything to the car that isn't easily reversible. When I purchased the car, I planned on repainting it all black as well to use as a driver as I didn't want a black/white car for daily use (drawing too much attention). So you are continuing with my original goal for the car anyway, with the added super-cool perk of putting it back in duty. All of that said, it wouldn't take any time for the next person who owns the car to repaint the doors white and the roof and they are good to go. And for everyone's info, I showed David where the unit number is on the door so he will take special care to not have that covered.

And I'm glad you'll get to use the plates, I purchased them in those colors specifically because I knew the car would be black or black/white someday and the black/white plates would look killer. Can't wait to see some progress pictures!

ImEvil1
11-10-2011, 11:35 AM
David,

Your car, and your call. We've had some pretty decent threads going on here in recent times, and all are encouraged to share their OPINIONS without name calling or childish remarks.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd find a much-newer and more disposable Crown Vic and use it. If someone smashes into it at a construction EJ, as an example, you probably wouldn't care too much. The Mustang, on the other hand, is not as easily replaced. I know....odds are that nothing like that would ever happen...but there's still a chance.

mac88chp
11-10-2011, 01:30 PM
David,

Your car, and your call. We've had some pretty decent threads going on here in recent times, and all are encouraged to share their OPINIONS without name calling or childish remarks.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd find a much-newer and more disposable Crown Vic and use it. If someone smashes into it at a construction EJ, as an example, you probably wouldn't care too much. The Mustang, on the other hand, is not as easily replaced. I know....odds are that nothing like that would ever happen...but there's still a chance.My thoughts exactly. Why put an antique and not so easily replaced vehicle at such risk? And by the way, I worked for a national heavy civil construction firm for a number of years and can tell you first hand that collisions in highway work zones, esp. at night, were frighteningly frequent. States where we experienced high numbers included Texas...

28HopUp
11-10-2011, 02:11 PM
In regards to the TX state laws regarding OFF DUTY use of personal motor vehicles for the purposes of TRAFFIC CONTROL/FUNERAL ESCORTs, we are REQUIRED to have "POLICE" markings on the cars. We are also REQUIRED to have 360 degree of warning lights with RED being required, and BLUE/AMBER being optional.

David, obviously the original CHP rear deck lights and Ruby Red spotlight will not satisfy the requirement in Texas for 360* warning lights. So you will need to use supplemental lighting, not only to meet the letter of the law, but also to improve your visibility (and safety) around other drivers. In addition to safety concerns, you should give some consideration to your comfort. The Mustang seats are not comfy for a long stretch. Is your 25yo A/C system up to the task of keeping you cool in warm weather for an entire overtime assignment? Is your car's cooling system going to keep the engine from overheating while idling for an extended period?

I'm just throwing ideas out there for you to consider. :)