PDA

View Full Version : E870567 82 CHP identified

Wolfe1013
05-26-2011, 09:00 PM
I opened my mailbox to find an envelope today that I didn't think I'd ever see. Inside was my CHP assignment card!! I'll try to scan both sides and post the pics in a little while. For now, the information is as follows:

Entered service: 03/28/83.
Retired: 04/04/85.
Sold: 09/11/85.
Price: $2200.00
Black & White
RF Color: Orange 4B
Equipment: has a square with a dot in the center and there's an M to the right of the square.
Loc. Code looks like Sacto 461.

Bill (28HopUp) helped me identify 461 as Los Banos. That means my car served with Steve's!!

I'm as happy as can be starting my 4 day holiday weekend. I'll enjoy working and tinkering with the car so much more now.

Greg

28HopUp
05-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Greg, I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that your card showed up. That is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

:D

ImEvil1
05-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Nice. :2thumbs:

chp1982
05-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Great news Greg! That'd be amazing if you could track down the officer that drove it.

Rhino
05-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Congrats!!

Ooooh...anyone know where I might get mine from? :)

Bri22NJ
05-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Great news Greg.

Wolfe1013
05-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Well, I'll be...

I can't find the cable that goes from the scanner to my laptop. :No no:

I'll have to see if I can buy one tomorrow. Of all the luck...

MOstang
05-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Congratulations on getting that documentation.

litsnsirn
05-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Congrats!!

Starting to get a little jealous of everyone with their assignment cards....

mac88chp
05-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Great news! The square with dot symbol denotes "slicktop" and I think the "M" has to do with the scanner or some other RF equipment. Will be nice to see the card when you get it scanned. :cool:

Wolfe1013
05-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Hey litsnsirn,

My car was painted yellow like yours, but it's not documented on the back of the assignment card. It shows it was sold as a black & white. Wow, another of the rare ones.

Ron didn't "blow it apart" when he painted it back to black & white, so you can still see some of the traces of yellow paint on my car.

Also, my car was transferred as well. The in-service date was 03/28/83 but it looks like it was originally assigned to 440-Hanford and then transferred to 461-Los Banos to start duty.

Still no cable for my scanner. I'm tearing this house apart. Will get it scanned this weekend one way or another. If nothing else, I'll take it to work Saturday and scan it there.

Greg

Wolfe1013
05-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Here is the card. I don't know why I can't go back and edit the original post.

Wolfe1013
05-28-2011, 08:39 PM
and the back...

MOstang
05-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Here is the card. I don't know why I can't go back and edit the original post.
I believe a time limit on editing posts here.

ImEvil1
05-28-2011, 09:37 PM
I believe a time limit on editing posts here.

Correct.

28HopUp
05-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks for posting up the scans of your card. Using this link...

http://www.chp.ca.gov/depts_divs_offs/offices.html

...I found that CHP Office #440 is located in Hanford, CA, which is south of Los Banos (thank you Mapquest!)

Wolfe1013
05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for posting up the scans of your card. Using this link...

http://www.chp.ca.gov/depts_divs_offs/offices.html

...I found that CHP Office #440 is located in Hanford, CA, which is south of Los Banos (thank you Mapquest!)

Yep, got 'em both thumb tacked on Google Earth. So, can anyone help me decode this card?

Thanks for the photo resize, Mike. Sorry, I was at work and didn't have access to my editing software.

ImEvil1
05-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Yep, got 'em both thumb tacked on Google Earth. So, can anyone help me decode this card?

Thanks for the photo resize, Mike. Sorry, I was at work and didn't have access to my editing software.

No prob...and I think that it's about as decoded as it's going to get. :)

Glad you got it.

Wolfe1013
05-31-2011, 11:49 PM
C'mon, somebody's got answers...see the red question marks below. :)

1. Would 93904 be the mileage upon retirement?
2. I know the square with dot means slicktop, what about the "M"
3. Schedule # of 3-245?
4. Another "M" and not sure if that's just a smudge or a mark of some kind.

Also, for those with the in service dates on the red Zymo? label on the dash. Is the date form 03-28-83 or was the zero dropped for 3-28-83 like on the card?

ImEvil1
05-31-2011, 11:56 PM
1. Yes

The others: no idea. :)

mac88chp
06-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Here's an in-service label very close to your date:

http://images30.fotki.com/v51/photos/4/438439/4026725/82inservicelabel-vi.jpg

One interesting thing I see on your assignment card is that your car was one of the runouts that was sold at Downtown Ford (Senator Ford was used too-both were located in Sacto.) and not at the Motor Transport lot. For a period, many retired Mustangs were sold off this way. I think it was an experiment to see if paying a commission to the dealers, and possibly having them perform a higher than normal amount and quality of refurbishment, would be a more lucrative and/or efficient means of moving these units than sending them to low-bid body shops for cheap resprays and then selling them at the M/T lot. I have heard stories about how nice some of the Mustangs sold at the dealer lots looked but I guess in the end it may not have panned out for the parties involved because the practice has not endured beyond the Mustang era. If anyone else has any knowledge about this arrangement I'd sure like to hear about it.

Also, judging from the plate numbers listed it looks like your car probably replaced an '80 St. Regis sedan and was in turn replaced by an '84 Mustang.

28HopUp
06-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Here is a link to help answer your questions on R.F. Color -

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=995

Since this is a CURRENT listing, the information may generate more questions than answers. In my case, the R.F. Color did not exactly match the location where my CHP served, but it was speculated that the car may have been dispatched from a nearby locatation back then.

Steve
06-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Here's an in-service label very close to your date:

http://images30.fotki.com/v51/photos/4/438439/4026725/82inservicelabel-vi.jpg

Also, judging from the plate numbers listed it looks like your car probably replaced an '80 St. Regis sedan and was in turn replaced by an '84 Mustang.

I don't know if it is possible to identify the officer who drove it, but I can probably narrow it down to 4 or 5 names.

The quote above: St. Regis. Ugh, I haven't thought about them in a long time. That was a horrible time in CHP road duty, when the last of the 440's (Plymouth Satellite, Dodge Monaco) were rotated out. They were replaced by an assortment of pathetic junk: St. Regis (St. Reject as we called them), Dodge Diplomat, and I even remember a Dodge Aspen with a thoroughly gutless 318 in the San Jose area. That Aspen was so utterly pathetic. It was a pool car, and if you got stuck driving it you would almost want to thank drivers for actually pulling over when you stopped them. because if they didn't want to there wouldn't be much you could do about it. When the Mustangs came in, it was fun again. They eventually got the Diplomat 360 to run okay; did some tuning, added shift kits, and I remember even put special exhaust in to try to squeeze out what performance they could.

GSPI
06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Just a small tidbit, they didn't have a Diplomat with a 360 only an AHB 318 with 360 heads. They did have the St. Regis and Aspens with a 360 but the 318 was the final nail in the coffin when CHP tested the last of the St. Regis and then the Diplomats using the 318 for reasons of fuel savings and then caused the need for CHP and others to look at a pursuit vehicle like the Mustang.

Wolfe1013
06-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Great information, everyone. Keep it coming.

That RF page lists only Orange 2 which is still Los Banos.

For the date label, it looks like mine would be 3 28 83 instead of 3-28-83 like I thought I had seen. Now to stop by somewhere and get a label maker. My Brother model is a little too new.

Hey Steve, apparently someone watched TJ Hooker and thought those St Regis cars would be good patrol cars. I remember them switching from the '78-ish Dodge Monacos (one of my all time favs) to what I later identified as the St. Regis with the fold down headlight lens cover - IIRC.

Btw, does anyone else with an '82 have their assignment card or is this the only one we know of?

mac88chp
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
For the date label, it looks like mine would be 3 28 83 instead of 3-28-83 like I thought I had seen. Now to stop by somewhere and get a label maker. My Brother model is a little too new.

The dashes may be there but are worn and not visible in that none too clear shot. Here's a couple of more examples of the labels:

http://images110.fotki.com/v302/photos/4/438439/4026725/87inservice-vi.jpg

http://images23.fotki.com/v826/photos/4/438439/4026725/inservicelabel-vi.jpg

As you can see they varied a bit in format, may have had to do with the mood of the installer that day, who knows. Try to find an old "Dymo" label maker for them.

Hey Steve, apparently someone watched TJ Hooker and thought those St Regis cars would be good patrol cars. I remember them switching from the '78-ish Dodge Monacos (one of my all time favs) to what I later identified as the St. Regis with the fold down headlight lens cover - IIRC.You have it a little backwards. Hollywood crashed and smashed a ton of CHP runouts over the years after they were done with them. They retired a lot of those "Dogmobile" St. Regis models early and the TV and movie makers snapped a fair number of them up for their purposes.

mac88chp
06-02-2011, 01:06 PM
That was a horrible time in CHP road duty, when the last of the 440's (Plymouth Satellite, Dodge Monaco) were rotated out. They were replaced by an assortment of pathetic junk: St. Regis (St. Reject as we called them), Dodge Diplomat, and I even remember a Dodge Aspen with a thoroughly gutless 318 in the San Jose area. That Aspen was so utterly pathetic. It was a pool car, and if you got stuck driving it you would almost want to thank drivers for actually pulling over when you stopped them because if they didn't want to there wouldn't be much you could do about it.Now there's a priceless quote! :D

Here's some nostalgia for you Steve, at least one of those test Aspens was eventually deployed to the academy:

http://images39.fotki.com/v1225/photos/4/438439/6434758/80AspenCHP-vi.jpg

http://images38.fotki.com/v1218/photos/4/438439/6434758/80AspenCHPa-vi.jpg

Wolfe1013
06-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks again, Michael. So, Hollywood was CHP's way of disposing of cars they didn't like? heh heh heh

I know I have a Dymo label maker at my parents' house. But finding it...I'll just look for one in the school and office supply section at the store. If I remember when I leave work today, I can re-route and go by the Office Depot up the street.

MOstang
06-02-2011, 05:54 PM
The dashes may be there but are worn and not visible in that none too clear shot. Here's a couple of more examples of the labels

Doesn't it look like in the dash pic Michael posted (was that from an 82 model?) like the lines between the numbers go straight up and down (as a means to separate the number sequences). I haven't looked too hard, but have looked a few times and it always looks the same (the up and down I mentioned). This seems like the sort of thing that would very as Michael pointed out with his other number pics too.

Wolfe1013
06-02-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't see any separators between the numbers in the first photo. I believe that's Jon's former car that was in Atlanta. I've got several photos from him for reference and the label looks the same as that one. Had to dig them up once Michael posted that.

Got my Dymo label maker on the way home. And also a USB printer/scanner cable to replace the one I misplaced. Boy, they sure don't make label makers like they used to. This thing almost looks like a phaser from Star Trek!! :)

Wolfe1013
11-15-2011, 02:46 AM
Here's what I was trying to share the other night. Had to figure out how to get it in a more presentable format...

My Deluxe Marti Report for E870567: