PDA

View Full Version : Carpet - 1982 CHP restoration

Wolfe1013
05-28-2011, 01:21 PM
For those of you with 1982 CHP Mustangs, have you picked out which carpet is a correct OEM color replacement? I want to replace mine this summer and could use some suggestions since there are several tans to choose from. Thanks in advance.

Greg

Wolfe1013
05-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Also, take a look at this sample for a package tray material that Nicole from Fox Mustang Restoration found for me. I sent her a sample from the bottom edge of mine, about all that is salvageable. The board and the top surface are trashed.

This feels like a flexible rubbery material. The original looks like cheese cloth with a very similar pattern.

Their price is on the letter and I later called and spoke with Matt - even though this is a special order, he said he would honor the 10% SSMNET discount code. They are really a super group of people and are willing to help us out wherever they can.

Greg

litsnsirn
05-30-2011, 11:29 AM
So would they be making the package tray or just providing the material?
Mine has had speaker holes cut in it and it was wrapped in vinyl, at some point.

GSPI
05-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Take out the old one and use it as a pattern and cut out another one from thin particle board and wrap it with the material that comes from SMS. I thought that SMS only provide material no? Similarly with the headliner. I've actually found the same foam like headliner fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics believe it or not, just not the variety of colors like SMS has.

Wolfe1013
05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Not sure where this material sample came from. They would make the package tray for us using this material or any other one we choose. That price is for a complete product ready to install.

My package tray is the same...two large holes cut for speakers and it was covered in vinyl. I was shocked when I uncovered it to find the original still there, though as flimsy as a wet piece of paper.

I didn't know SMS had the package tray and headliner material. If that's the case...I need to contact them.

What about carpet? Anyone?

FHP813
05-31-2011, 09:35 PM
I thought the 82 had a vinyl headliner? Stock interiors supposedly has the vinyl headliner, I don't know how accurate it is.
http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeadlinerBoard.asp?Itemid=6860&MakeId=8&ModelId=201

Colors: http://stores.ebay.com/AutoCarpetOnline/Tier-Grain-Vinyl-Headliner-Material.html

Wolfe1013
05-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Our color for 1982 is French Vanilla which is lighter and more "creamy" than the chamois and tan shown.

Never heard of Stock Interiors. Thanks for the link.

Keep the comments and ideas coming.

ImEvil1
05-31-2011, 11:05 PM
I thought the 82 had a vinyl headliner? Stock interiors supposedly has the vinyl headliner, I don't know how accurate it is.
http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeadlinerBoard.asp?Itemid=6860&MakeId=8&ModelId=201

Colors: http://stores.ebay.com/AutoCarpetOnline/Tier-Grain-Vinyl-Headliner-Material.html

It does...in a herringbone-type pattern (light french vanilla), IIRC.

Wolfe1013
07-24-2011, 09:56 PM
OK, Mike sent me a sample from his package tray. His is a little darker than mine, both original. His is top left and mine is top right and then a longer strip on the bottom is something I found stuck along the back passenger corner edge after removing my package tray.

Compare these to the sample I scanned from Fox Mustang Restoration. Not sure where they found theirs. You can definitely see a weave pattern in all of them.

SMS did not have a package tray selection when I got samples from them. I have yet to call them.

What do you think? The FMR sample doesn't feel like cloth. But it's a close match from a distance.

Oh, the Mike with the prototype sent me photos of his in black...and it's the same weave pattern. I'll find those pics and post one next.

ImEvil1
07-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Greg,

I think yours is just faded.

Wolfe1013
07-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Here is the black package tray from Mike's prototype. Note how you can see right through it over the speaker opening.

Wolfe1013
07-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Greg,

I think yours is just faded.

Don't see how it's faded, Mike, it came from the *underside* of my package tray. It's from the overlap.

:)

ImEvil1
07-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Don't see how it's faded, Mike, it came from the *underside* of my package tray. It's from the overlap.

:)

You got me there...remember you telling me that before.

This is what I do know: the '82 I have is completely unmolested, still has the original interior in it, still had the buildsheet taped inside the quarter trim when I bought it, and is one of the nicest, unrestored, early 4 eyed cars I have ever seen. It even still has an original, BF Goodrich "Pursuit" 14inch full size spare in the trunk.

I believe the package tray in the car is original, and that it's the correct color.

Wolfe1013
07-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I had to think about it, but I knew I had seen yours before. The color of yours matches Riley's.

OK, my car has two peculiarities...a lighter than normal package tray and the holes in the dash are not where they are supposed to be for the gun/mic rack brace.

However, when I uncovered the dash *pad* I did find what appeared to be two small screw holes there, above where the brace normally fastened. I do have the screw holes in the top left corner of the glove box opening, so my car did have a shotgun rack.

ImEvil1
07-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Here's another thought...have you asked any of the 4EP guys with the earlier, "caramel" (I think) interiors about it?

It's possible that there were two different colors and Ford used whatever they had left, since '82 was the end of the line for this mesh~style material. Just a thought, but more like a guess. :)

Bullitt1609
02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
I skimmed through the thread, and may have overlooked it, but where is everyone getting their '82 CHP interior pieces from?

I have a good set of door panels I will probably have died and I got some seat material samples from SMS that I think will look great.

The dash and other interior plastics were painted blue by a previous owner; I may be able to salvage them though. I will still need to source carpet, package tray, headliner, dash pad, etc. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Jonathon

chp1982
02-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Do you have an '82?

Bullitt1609
02-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I do. Unit 0548. Dropped it off at the body shop this past weekend for paint. The dash and all other plastics were painted blue, blue seats installed, no carpet... So I've got some work ahead of me.

chp1982
02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Sweet! That's the primered white Ebay car right? Lots of pictures please!

chp1982
02-23-2012, 11:39 AM
To answer your question about where to get interior parts, dye what you can. Chances of finding good, usable French Vanilla pieces is a long shot to say the least. SMS has the headliner material and told me that they may have the package tray material but I would have to send them a sample. Have Fox resto send you samples for the carpet. You should be able to get pretty close with one of them. As far as the dash pad, there are nice OEM ones that come up on ebay. Buy it and dye it. Unfortunately, we have one of the most hard to find interior colors. Keep us updated on the progress and post some pictures.

Bullitt1609
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I emailed Fox Resto earlier in the week to ask about various items. I'll follow up with them and get some samples. SMS did send me some samples for the seats, but did not mention the headliner. I will check back with them.

It is. He listed it a couple times on eBay, then took it off for me when we worked out a deal. It has about 7 layers of white primer on it, but there is no rust anywhere. He had it sitting for a while, but after changing the plugs, fresh gas, rotor button, and a little starting fluid, it started right up and felt very strong. No smoke, no unusual noises, nothing.

Here are a few pics of where we're at now. I plan on dying as much as I can, but will need to source some items I don't have.

Thanks again. I'll keep posting pics as we progress.

MOstang
02-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Nice solid car! :cool:

chp1982
02-23-2012, 11:50 PM
That's great. I'm glad it's getting the attention it deserved. With yours we have 5 or 6 82's in the South now. Let me know if you need any interior pics for reference.

CNTLOSE
02-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Glad to see that car finally go to a good home. I think that car has been listed on and off for at least the last two years. Congrats on the purchase!

Wolfe1013
03-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Glad to see that car is getting a proper restoration and is in good hands. Looking more like an '82 CHP reunion will be held in the South, first!!

I will be going this route for my dash pad restoration (thanks for the great write up, Andy)... http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2469&highlight=Dash+pad

If you've read my other posts and threads, you'll know I've got the original seats, but they need to be recovered. The black cloth sample that SMS sent me did not match the OEM seats in a few of the cars on here. The seat vinyl is a good match though, as is the headliner material.

Fox Resto found a material pattern close for the package tray and offered to build one for me. I haven't gone that route yet. I'd like to see what SMS offers. Their (SMS) carpet looked too light. It needs to be darker in my book.

I'm finding things here and there for my restoration. I just picked up an NOS headlight switch and washer reservoir/overflow tank from NPD.com. Watch your local salvage yards for original parts, too. I've scavenged off a couple four-eyed cars and an '83 Fairmont.

Good luck with your restoration. Can't wait to watch the progress and see more photos.

Greg